2004 - 2008 F-150

New TSB's for Vibration & Nibble

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer said the same thing when I first brought mine in. I guess it's possible. Since I think the #'s are low that have the problem and since they sold something like 912k units, maybe they didn't get any. Beats me.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Unhappy

Just reading all this stuff on vibes - I've got a brand new FX-4 (waiting at the dealers to be shipped to England) with 40 miles on the clock. Must admit I only did a 10 mile test drive and not over 50mph - seemed ultra smooth. I parked it up and did the deal. Maybe I'd better run up and down the I4 (Sarasota to Naples should do it) and put a few hundred miles to check her out before it goes over the water. If it develops a problem in England, no one is gonna sort it (Ford Warranty is void on unofficial exports!). Hope I get lucky. I've had 5 different F150's (99 thru 2003) and not one single bit of trouble.

Yours, in hope,

Jules

Old 01-04-2005, 12:25 AM
10 tires & 12 wheels? OMFG. That's insane. Do they still think it's a tire problem?
Thankfully the service manager doesn't think so, but he won't do anything without getting an FSE involved. While that might sound like a good plan, it's been almost a month since since he drove it and there's no FSE in sight yet. I called him today and told him that, one way or another, my truck was coming in for service this week.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:30 AM
I thought about random tire rotation, but the MST said that once a tire is matched to its wheel it pretty much stays that way.
Chuck R.-
Based on Ford's wheel mounting procedure for the new F150 I don't think that's the case. In TSB 04-25-7 they specify that the high tire centerline radial runout point should be mounted at the 12 o'clock position, then, after the lug nuts have been tightened, they use feeler gauges to verify that the largest hub-to-bore clearance gap is at the 6 o'clock position. If not, they rotate the hub to a new position and try again.

I don't know how they do it where you live, but I can guarantee that the local Discount Tire boys around here don't use a feeler gauge to mount wheels. I'm pretty confident that if this method of wheel mounting solved a vibration issue I could completely screw it up with a simple tire rotation.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:19 PM
I dropped off my blazing yellow STX this morning for the new entire rear end replacement. They said they needed it for a few days and they would also perform the same procedure in mounting the wheels as mentioned earlier.

Does anyone think the new rear end is going to fix the problem? When it comes to an end and the truck still vibrates how do I start the DSB prodedure?

Just looking into all angles.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:37 PM
I was told by my dealer that they fixed a truck with replacing the rear end. He ordered a new rear and that vibrated , so he ordered another rear and that fixed the issue. Has me wondering about the quality of the rear ends in these trucks that have vibration.

Ron

Old 01-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks for posting the TSBs. I printed one out and took my truck to the dealership for the nibble last week. I picked it up a few days ago and it's like new. No more violent shakes at 75!

Old 01-04-2005, 06:26 PM
So what did they do to fix yours?

Old 01-04-2005, 06:44 PM
I haven't asked. My dealership is in my hometown, which is only about 30 minutes away. I had my dad drop it off and pick it up while I was on a ski trip last week. Dad said that they didn't give him a copy of a service receipt when he picked up the truck.

They weren't aware of the problem until I gave them the TSB number (when I called to schedule my appointment). I also told them that I'd leave a copy in the seat for them. I'd image that just follow the TSB word for word, as it doesn't seem like they've had any prior experience with the nibble. I'll call tomorrow and find out what they did - I'm curious, myself, but haven't had time to check into it.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:42 PM
taw1126

I hear you and agree, but I’m just not ready to go the direct sabotage route…….yet.

I just had two new BFG 285/70R/17s put on today and haven’t had a chance to really road test it yet. One of the take off BFG 285/70R/17s had a Road Force reading of 46lbs, which according to the Hunter company is pretty screwed up. IF that tire was in the front, it may have been the culprit. The other 3 were all within Ford’s magic Road Force “X”, but one was close at a 21.

After they did the TSB with the OEM set-up, I’m vibration/nibble free. So at this point, I’m not 100% sure that I have a problem that isn’t related to one set of after-market tires, maybe even one tire. Until then, I’m still developing the situation and doing my tire manufacturer research. To date, I’ve made contact with most of my local tire dealers and none are aware of any “special” Ford tire installation procedures.

I think that as more of the 04 trucks on the road add mileage, have tire rotations, buy replacement tires, the “Vibe Tribe” is going to get larger, much larger. I also wonder how many new trucks are driving around post TSB without the owner having any idea. As it is, after reading some of the things that some guys have gone through, there’s no way in hell I’d buy another 04 F150. I only wish that I’d have read some of these posts prior to buying mine.

Chuck

Old 01-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Has anyone had there vibe fixed with the new TSB?

Old 01-05-2005, 11:23 AM
I have the 285/70/17 BFGs and the truck is super smooth and I drive 80-90mph a lot. I did have the steering wheel nibble at about 15K miles but it went away when I had the tires rotated. I even had them balance the tires with the inside sticker type weights. I was sure they would vibrate but nothing.

I really feel for the vibe tribe. I really love my truck. I sure hope they figure this vibe thing out Best of luck to all.

Has anyone actually had the vibe fixed and had time to put more miles on their truck???????????? Did it come back? What was fixed?

Old 01-05-2005, 04:00 PM
could you send these tsb'sto me also and any on the back window rattle if you have them pgordon82@hotmail.com thanks

Old 01-05-2005, 04:11 PM
I seem to remember from another site that the 97 SCREWS had a vibartion problem that was traced to the driveshaft

Old 01-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Please send me the TSBs. Still waiting on DSB to reopen our case. Wouldn't it be wonderful if this is finally the "ANSWER" all of us have been waiting for!!!!

Quick Reply: New TSB's for Vibration & Nibble