2004 - 2008 F-150

front end alignment after autospring install

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front end alignment after autospring install

Had the autospring 2" kit installed a few days ago (2 weeks to be exact) and just got around to having the front end aligned. I haven't driven my truck since I had the kit installed. During that 2 week period I also recieved my new tires and wheels, 18" MB Blitz's with 325/65 Nitto's (same setup as Porkchop).

So I drop my truck off at my dealership today for an oil change, front end alignment and to have the new wheels and tires put on. My service tech tells me the alignment will be $90 bucks. Then he calls me back a couple hours later and tells me that the caster/camber is off very bad on my truck, so much that it is going to require shims. The shim kit is $150 bucks! I haven't heard any of you guys talking about a shim kit after having your front end aligned with the autospring kit. Could mounting these new wheels and tires cause the caster/camber to change so much that it will require the shims?

Old 12-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Take it somewhere else... done.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Haven't heard any of the others that have added both kit and tires mention it.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Was it off this bad? Shims? For what? I however did not get new rims and tires.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Re: front end alignment after autospring install

Originally posted by ultramaxer21
Had the autospring 2" kit installed a few days ago (2 weeks to be exact) and just got around to having the front end aligned. I haven't driven my truck since I had the kit installed. During that 2 week period I also recieved my new tires and wheels, 18" MB Blitz's with 325/65 Nitto's (same setup as Porkchop).

So I drop my truck off at my dealership today for an oil change, front end alignment and to have the new wheels and tires put on. My service tech tells me the alignment will be $90 bucks. Then he calls me back a couple hours later and tells me that the caster/camber is off very bad on my truck, so much that it is going to require shims. The shim kit is $150 bucks! I haven't heard any of you guys talking about a shim kit after having your front end aligned with the autospring kit. Could mounting these new wheels and tires cause the caster/camber to change so much that it will require the shims?

How long did it take them to deliver your wheels and tires after you ordered them?

Old 12-06-2004, 09:27 PM
I don't know any measurements as of right now to tell you how bad off the alignment was/is? I work at night, so I just dropped it off this morning when I got off work and I don't wake up till around 7 in the afternoon. My service tech called today around 2 with the news about the shim kit. This has been the only dealership I've ever used and not once have I ever felt like they took advantage of me. If they think the truck needs shims to get the alignment correct, then I guess it'll need shims. I'm good friends with the owner as well, and the guys in the shop know this. I doubt they would try something fishy just to pocket money for themselves. In fact, I've had the same service tech for the past 6 years. I guess I'll have more info tomorrow.

I ordered the wheels and tires from discounttiredirect.com. I ordered them on a tuesday morning at 9:30 and they were sitting on my front porch at 12:00 on Friday of the same week. So far, I've been pleased with the service I recieved from them. Very nice customer service department and when I orderd from them, I was actually able to "jew" them down some. The 325/65r18's listed for $250 each, I got them for $238. They offer a warranty and it lists for 30 bucks a tire, i got them to give me a a tire and a half for free (warranty only).

Old 12-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Re: front end alignment after autospring install

Originally posted by ultramaxer21

Almost forgot.....did you get the chrome plated or machined finish wheels?

Trending Topics

Old 12-06-2004, 11:36 PM
thats crap take it somewhere else, mine was way off and it only ended up costing me around 50 bucks

Old 12-07-2004, 02:18 AM
No shims needed for mine. They're probably just Up-selling you.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Had mine done after 2" auto spring $70

Old 12-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Well it could be worse. After my lift was in, it had a slight pull to the left so I decided to take it to the dealer rather than back to the 4wheel shop since it was a far distance.
Anyway long story short they said they have to charge me double the cost of an alignment ($180) because the vehicle was modified and now too big to fit on their machine, mind you they do align F350s here too. When I called him out on it, he said the tires were too big and thats why it wouldnt fit. That was the last visit to that crook.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:07 AM
Exactly why I'll stick with the assup Ford stock look. Besides when I'm hauling heavy loads my truck is level and not sagging as Ford intended....

Old 12-07-2004, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You’re the first case of “shims” that I’ve heard of with an Autospring kit. I got about 10,000 miles on my tires with the Autospring installed, rotated them once, and they appear to be wearing evenly. Maybe you should take it somewhere else and have it checked out for a second opinion.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Jackslapp
Exactly why I'll stick with the assup Ford stock look. Besides when I'm hauling heavy loads my truck is level and not sagging as Ford intended....
Yeah but a 6" lift is a little different than a level kit. If they told me that and I only had a level kit I would be really pissed.
Besides, this thing was meant for lift. Its like a whole different truck and worth any alignment woes (except $180 ones)

Old 12-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Unhappy modder's remorse?

well is there such a thing as MODDER"S REMORSE??

got home this morning and called about my truck. They tell me to come pick it up they're finished. Go pick it up and wow does it look awesome. Imagine Porkchop's truck with lower DSG, add a black bull bar up front and black diamond plate tool box and you'll see my truck. I think the bull bar add's to the front end more so now that it's got the bigger tires and sitting much higher and level up front.

The reason for remorse?

The front end alignment was 89 bucks, no biggie. The shim kit (which I saw) was a whopping 150 bucks. The reason for the shim kit was explained to be because there wasn't enough adjustment in the factory setting to get it aligned properly. So it's 150 bucks, not terrible. Did I need it? According to all you guys no, according to my service tech and shop mgr, yes. I'm good friends with all these ppl and don't feel like they would "up charge" me just for the heck of it. My service tech was off today, so I only spoke with the shop mgr. I'll call the regular service tech tomorrow when he's back at work to get his input on the issue.

Ok so the truck looks awesome, but looks can be decieving i guess. In town everything felt fine, a little stiffer ride which may be due to high pressure in the tires whcih I haven't checked, but they feel hard as a rock. Out of town is where I FELT my first bad incounter. At speeds between 50-60 mph, the steering wheel shimmies very bad. The truck rides fine, no vibration, but the wheel shakes very bad.

I'm feeling pretty low right now and startin to regret the entire thing. I should have just stuck with the lame looking factory setting. The stiffer ride I can live with, in fact I expected it and may be able to adjust it some with air pressure. The steering wheel shake depresses me. Please, someone tell me this could be due to a bad tire balance!?!?! I know a lot of you guys have large tires on your trucks and I haven't heard any of you complain of sterring wheel shakes. To my knowledge the dealership didn't balance the new wheels and tires bc they came balanced from discounttiredirect, so I'm hoping that's the cause of the shake. Other wise I'll have a bad @ss looking truck with a steering wheel that shakes bad!

Quick Reply: front end alignment after autospring install