2004 - 2008 F-150

Windshield wipers dont work when its cold outside

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield wipers dont work when its cold outside

More specificly, they dont work when its 40 or below for about the first 10 mins the truck is on. Also, the check engine light is on at the same time.

Anyone else had this problem? Had it in the dealership and couldnt find the problem.... (warm outside and couldnt reproduce)

Chris

Old 12-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Dumb question, but are you saying that your dealer couldn't pull any codes out of the ECU?

That doesn't make sense if the check engine light was on.

FWIW, my wipers worked fine at 7F two mornings ago. Thats pretty cold (at least for around here).

Old 12-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Don't know why you would be getting a problem like that. Last winter there were a bunch of days when it got to -40 (some even -50) and my truck never had such problems while being parked outside.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:43 PM
There really is a simple fix for this. You must first get the truck above 50mph. When the truck starts vibrating violently, the frozen ice in the plastic ice trays below the windshield will work lose. Since the truck has such a severe forward angle (low front end) the pieces of ice will fly up into the windshield wipers and 'jar' them into working!

(I think this fix was written in Consumer Reports)

Old 12-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Tun2One
There really is a simple fix for this. You must first get the truck above 50mph. When the truck starts vibrating violently, the frozen ice in the plastic ice trays below the windshield will work lose. Since the truck has such a severe forward angle (low front end) the pieces of ice will fly up into the windshield wipers and 'jar' them into working!

Now that rite there is funny

Larry

Old 12-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Tun2One

Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are.

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers dont work when its cold outside