2004 - 2008 F-150

Checking in and they fixed my vibe!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking in and they fixed my vibe!!!!

New member here. About a month ago I purchased a 2004 FX4. Love the truck but it had the vibe, Well after letting them have the truck for 6 days they fixed it! (FYI, the vibe was from about 50 to 65 MPH and then it went away untill about 80 + it came back). To make a long story short they said that they found a c- clip on the U-joint not seated correctly They ordered a new clip and installed it and no more vibe at any speed. This was told to me verbally, I have yet to see the work order. Hope this helps someone out there!!!!! Very happy with the FX4!!!!!

Old 11-29-2004, 01:47 PM
HI,
CAN you tell me if your vibe only came about when you had the gas pedal pressed. I have a similar vibe but it is very slight and only occurs when the gas is preesed/ Thanks

Old 11-29-2004, 02:36 PM
The vibe was there at all times, even in neutral at those speeds

Old 11-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Banned
Re: Checking in and they fixed my vibe!!!!

Originally posted by FX4effects
New member here. About a month ago I purchased a 2004 FX4. Love the truck but it had the vibe, Well after letting them have the truck for 6 days they fixed it! (FYI, the vibe was from about 50 to 65 MPH and then it went away untill about 80 + it came back). To make a long story short they said that they found a c- clip on the U-joint not seated correctly They ordered a new clip and installed it and no more vibe at any speed. This was told to me verbally, I have yet to see the work order. Hope this helps someone out there!!!!! Very happy with the FX4!!!!!
If you haven't seen the work order yet, then one can only assume you do not have the truck back yet. Wait until you actually drive it before you say it is fixed. They told me mine was fixed 5 times.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:53 PM
I have the Truck. The vibe is gone. They said they would mail me the work order...it wasn't done when I picked up the truck.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Brooke/Hunter,

I have your exact problem. Slight, but only when on the gas.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:32 PM
glad to hear your vibe is gone.

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Banned
Lucky Dogg!!!!

Originally posted by FX4effects
I have the Truck. The vibe is gone. They said they would mail me the work order...it wasn't done when I picked up the truck.
Sure wish mine had been easy. I envy you. I've lost all faith in Ford over this issue. I have my DSB hearing on the 8th and I sure hope they do the right thing and buy my truck back. It is unusable.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:59 PM
If you are only having vibration when accelerating and at speed under load (foot on gas/cruise control), then the most likely culprit is balance in the drive line. The U-joint (clip?), or unbalanced drive shaft, even just a tick unbalanced, will definately cause vibes within specific speed bands. If a dealer has no way to check shaft balance, then he shouldn't even take your truck in. He should send you to a machine shop with the right gear.

I don't know if the rest of you are having that same style of vibration problem, but if you are having it within certain speed bands, you might try just taking the shaft out and taking it down to a speed shop or well equiped machine shop that has balancing equipment. The whole process should cost less then 50 bucks.

Glad to hear your all taken care of FX4effects. I just wonder how many of the others have dealers with pathetic mechanics that won't outsource the driveshafts? I won't even go to the Ford dealer where I live because of the low qualifications they have for their mechanics. I drove 180 miles to buy my truck at a reputable dealer. Our machine shop rocks though.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:30 PM
zeusdog: Dont envy me, somthing finally went right in my life!!!!Do you plan on getting another ford or are you done with them? Good luck on the hearing!

Old 11-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Aways good to hear someone got a soution to their vibe!

zeusdog, I wouldn't worry about the DSB, seems like anyone who has gone to them with vibration problmes has got a buy back. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Banned
A brand new truck shouldn't have to go to a machine shop

First of all, thank you all for the well wishes. FX4effects, the answer is NO WAY will I buy another brand new Ford. For one thing, out of 8 trucks that I have driven only 2 of them didn't have the vibe. I gave Ford plenty of opportunity to do the right thing and give me another truck. After all, they told me that if they couldn't fix it they would give me a new truck.

1969Mach, a brand new vehicle shouldn't have to have any parts replaced, let alone have a driveshaft taken to a machine shop to have it balanced. It's not my responsibility to fix the truck. The design was bad from the get go, that's why they outsourced driveline vibration dampers. I feel many of these trucks are unsafe and should be taken off the road.

They've replaced my driveshaft, wheels, tires, hubs, added a steering damper, road forced the tires 4 or 5 times, added inner wheel weights (although the FSE said it had nothing to do with the tires) all the typical fixes and although it has been minimized it has not been fixed. It took 6 trips back to the shop and over 30 days in the shop from day 1 of purchase. I don't buy new vehicles to take them somewhere else to be repaired so I won't be buying a new Ford again. Had they done the right thing and replaced the truck, no problem. They didn't and now I have no faith or loyalty in Ford after owning Fords since 1985.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. I've heard just more negative results then positive ones from the DSB.

Enjoy your trucks!

Old 11-30-2004, 11:15 PM
steering damper

zeusdog
do you have a part number on the steering damper they installed? i am still fighting a steering wheel nibble. any information on a TSB concerning this would be helpful as well, thanks.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:34 AM
ZD

ZD... Why did they not try rearend or tranny? That's all that is left???

Old 12-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by chandlerdelinks
Brooke/Hunter,
I have your exact problem. Slight, but only when on the gas.
Vibration only when on the gas or using cruise control is transmission related. I had that same problem, and it was fixed by replacing the whole transmission. Read my saga at this -> LINK

Quick Reply: Checking in and they fixed my vibe!!!!