2004 - 2008 F-150

Good news and BAD news!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Good news and BAD news!

The good news is that I finally got some pictures of my truck to post on here... https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=7285
The bad news is that I got rear-ended the other day on the way home...
I was pulling my trailor and had just slowed down to turn into my neighborhood when I felt this jolt from behind. My neck whipped forward and I thought to myself.....NO!!! Not a wreck. I looked back and this Explorer was sitting in the street with smoke coming from the hood and the horn blaring. This kid had taken his eye off the road and slammed into the back of my trailor as I was slowing down to make a right turn. My first thoughts were that my truck was OK because the impact was on the back of the trailor. (Poor Explorer!) My second thought was that everyone was OK. Well...both airbags went off in the kids Explorer. That tells you how fast he had to be going when he hit my trailor. Everyone was OK. I then looked at the back of my trailor for damage. The whole gate was caved in on the bottom. Needs a new gate. Then I looked at my truck thinking there was no damage...well I was not that lucky. The hitch receiver was bent down from the impact and the bumper was pulled down. That night I figured all I needed was a new hitch receiver and everything would be back to normal. Well...I looked at it today a little closer and it looks like the gap between the bed and the door is wider at the top than the bottom. I went up to the Ford dealer and measured the gap on several of the trucks in the parking lot and they were all the same. One inch. Mine is 1.5 at the top and 1 at the bottom. That tells me that the frame is bent down in back...HELP!!! https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=7288
The insurance adjuster from the other party is suppose to contact me to tomorrow to access the damage. I take it to their estimate shop on Wednesday.
I guess that my question to everyone here is "What should I settle for here?" I've got a truck that's not even a year old and I might be looking at a bent frame. Even if they can fix it, it still won't seem acceptable in my eyes. A bent frame is a bent frame! Any legal advice from fellow F150 onliners would be much appreciated. Thanks...

Last edited by fx4scab; 11-21-2004 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:45 PM
I am REALLY sorry about your truck. You must be heartsick. If I were you, I would talk to my insurance agent about the issue. After all, that is what you pay YOUR insurance company for - to be there for you when things like this happen. Tell them what your concerns are, and see if you have the option to get multiple estimates. As rigid as the frames are supposed to be on these things, that kid with the Explorer is lucky he isn't hurt!!! Don't let the other person's insurance agency push you into agreeing to anything that doesn't make you happy, and remember that your agent should be in YOUR corner...

Old 11-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks like something got bent out of shape. You need to have a body shop you trust check it out close along with the kids insurance adjuster. Hopefully it wont be a bent frame.

Old 11-22-2004, 04:32 AM
Just gotta hope the kid has more than the minimum Oklahoma insurance... 10/20/10 would bring un/under insured motorist from YOUR insurance into play if you are trying to get a total loss...Kevin

Old 11-22-2004, 08:10 PM
claims adjuster

Well... I talked with the claims adjuster today and at least we got the ball rolling on this thing. He took a recorded conversation of what happened at the accident and I'm suppose to take my trailor and get an estimate on fixing that damage ...which is the least of my worries. I go Wednesday to the other parties claims drive in service to have the truck looked at for a damage assessment.
Does anyone know if Ford has a frame machine or something that will check the frame for any kind of damage. I want to have it checked by Ford thoroughly before I do anything. It just irritates me to even think that the frame could even be bent. I'll be so disappointed if that's the case. I'll want a new truck. This all seems like a nightmare because the truck's not even a year old.
Anyway...thanks for the replies so far....I hope to hear more.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:00 PM
I know it is sickening to know your baby got hit and bent, but most competent body shops have very good laser frame machines. If it turns out your trucks frame is bent it sounds like it wouldnt be very much. It is easily corrected with a good frame machine and no one will ever know but you and the insurance company. Take it to a body shop you trust with a good frame machine and try to put it behind you. If it doesnt track correctly after it is done take it back until it is right. If they know what they are doing then you shouldnt have to go back a second time. Good luck and hope everything works out for you.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like gray said, there are some sweet frame machines out there, and after they are done with it it'll be like new. The downside to collisions like this are when the frame is bent further up in the frame and requires complete disassembly of the vehicle.... those car/trucks are never the same. As for yours, worst case they pop the bed off, straighten that puppy out and send you on your merry way (IHO).

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2004, 10:48 AM
fx4scab,

Take your truck to Ford Tulsa Collision Repair on 41st and Memorial. The frame machine and tech there are the BEST.

I know first hand that they can fix your truck right up, they have fixed several 2004 F-150s with bent frames.

These trucks are tuff man.... They are going to take a beating weather you're servin' it up or someother jacka$$.

Get your truck fixed, and get back out in the fight!

-f2f-

Old 11-23-2004, 11:51 AM
spc
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be just the mounts.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Yeah dzervit and gray. It's just finding a trust worthy shop that has the good machines and good reputation. I just don't know the reputations of body shops and techs enough to pic one over the other. I guess the best way is to just talk to people and that's what i'm trying to do.

Thanks ford2004f150. I'm glad to know someone here's from the same state and can relate to the area. I will check with them and when the time comes, take my truck down there to get an estimate. I'm assuming that is the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer on the South-east corner of the intersection if I remember right. Would you happen to know the name of the tech there? I'd like to talk with someone who knows there stuff. Thanks again!

spc....I hope it's just something minor like bed mounts. That would be a huge sigh of relief for me. I know the hitch receiver is bent pretty bad. That will definetely have to be replaced. I guess the thing that concerns me there is that the hitch receiver is connected to the frame. I don't exactly know where the bed mounts connect. I guess the experts will soon tell me.

Thanks so very much for your guys input. I will keep you posted...

Old 11-23-2004, 07:16 PM

Same thing happened to my buddy's Nissan quad cab. Got hit in the hitch and bent the frame on both sides. They would NOT total it out, but they did REPLACE THE ENTIRE FRAME. They replaced the bed too. Over 8 grand worth of damage. The other insurance agents/adjusters were real jerks too. They really didn't want to help him out at all until he mentioned that he was seeing me for his whiplash, and that he was paying for it all out of his pocket...and hadn't planned on getting an injury settlement (even though he was still hurting). Amazing how they perked right up after that.
In WV, you can also make them inspect the truck (independent), and the insurance company has to cut you a check for lost value (from being wrecked).

Gary

Old 11-24-2004, 04:27 AM
Re: ..

Originally posted by Mange
Same thing happened to my buddy's Nissan quad cab.
Served him right...

Ok, just kidding...that sucks no matter what the truck...

Old 11-24-2004, 10:49 PM
appraiser

Well... I took my truck into the appraiser today to find out the damage to my truck. I was right. The frame was bent down slightly in the back. He pointed out a stress point on the back of the frame where the paint had started to chip away. Very small though evidence of a bent frame. He said it was an easy fix though and should be in the shop less than a week. They will decide if there is any further damage (mounts etc.) when disassembled and put on a frame machine. The cost will be adjusted if anything else shows to be damaged. I can't do much until the holidays are over. I'm losing all kinds of work time with my business! I can't do anything until I get both my truck and trailor fixed. Who knows how long that will take??

Last edited by fx4scab; 11-24-2004 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rent a truck and trailer. U-Haul rents trailers. The dude that hit you (or his insurance) is kinda obligated to cover it, at least by the way I interpret the law. No reason for you to lose your ability to earn a living. sounds like you need someone to help you with asking for what is rightfully owed you. No shame in that, I hate insurance companies as well.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah Rocky...I don't know if it would be better to do that or just get some kind of wage compensation from the insurance company for the time I have lost from the time of the wreck until my truck and trailor get fixed.
I don't really have an attorney, so i'm just trying to talk to people and find out the best thing to do. My insurance agent gave me some advice. I wish I had a wife or friend for an attorney or something.

Last edited by fx4scab; 11-24-2004 at 11:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Good news and BAD news!