2004 - 2008 F-150

Extang Soft Tonneau Install Woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extang Soft Tonneau Install Woes

Just bought the Extang Soft Tonneau - Snap Style - for my '04 Screw. The aluminum cross members seem to be just slightly too long to slide them into the brackets. They will flex a little bit but not nearly enough to slide them in. After a few scraped knuckles and more than a few expletives, I've taken it off and will call tech support on Monday morning.

Anyone experience this and/or have any suggestions?

Thnx...

AJ

Old 11-20-2004, 08:19 PM
I haven't experienced that problem, but I have the Extang Tuff Tonno and when I received it there were 2 broken pieces. I called Extang and they shipped the replacement peices no questions asked. Very good customer service.

Dave

Old 11-20-2004, 08:26 PM
I have the Extang Tuff tonnea, and on the bottom of each cross bar, it is labled as to where it goes. One is labeld Tail, one labeled Middle and one labeled Cab. At least with my Extang cover, it does matter which bar goes where. You might want to check to see if your bars are labeled as such.

Old 11-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Re: Extang Soft Tonneau Install Woes

Originally posted by nitzer280
Just bought the Extang Soft Tonneau - Snap Style - for my '04 Screw. The aluminum cross members seem to be just slightly too long to slide them into the brackets. They will flex a little bit but not nearly enough to slide them in. After a few scraped knuckles and more than a few expletives, I've taken it off and will call tech support on Monday morning.

Anyone experience this and/or have any suggestions?

Thnx...

AJ
which model? i put a extang black max on my '01 flareside, and it was a piece of work to fit it.... i remember having to muscle those crossbars into place....

like buck henry said, be positive you are putting the crossbars on the correct place.... and double check they shipped you the correct cover for you truck, bed, etc...

and i can second the comment about their customer service: i got great response when i had issues with mine...

good luck, and let us know how it goes...

Old 12-07-2004, 05:13 AM
Update on install

Just wanted you to know how this install ended up.

I emailed Extang late that night I originally posted this question. A super-helpful lady called me in the morning and asked me to move the cross-members a little bit closer to the front of the truck or closer to the tailgate until they fit. Eventually I was able to get them installed properly.

Also, a complete snap was missing entirely so I emailed her back the following day and she sent me a package of about 10 spare snaps; I got them 3 days later. The repair worked flawlessly.

Kudos to Extang!!

Old 12-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Install

So you had to move the front cross member closer to the cab and the rear cross member closer to the tailgate. So how did that help it fit?

Quick Reply: Extang Soft Tonneau Install Woes