2004 - 2008 F-150

Front Locker/Limited Slip ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Locker/Limited Slip ?

Has anyone purchased or is anyone planning on getting Lockers or some sort of limited slip for the front. I am interested in getting something that I can have and still drive daily n the road.

Also, how is the central hub utilized. Is it limited slip or is it lockup so equal power goes to front and back? If not, how does that get imroved if possible?

Old 11-20-2004, 10:17 AM
I know that fact theres not one locker or LSD aviavble for our truck at this time but only factory LSD as option on our trucks.

I always want Detriot True trac for rear and front...oh well..

YOMAN!

Old 11-20-2004, 10:19 AM
I am pretty sure the front is already a constant locked system isnt it? Both wheels always have to turn at the same rate in the front. Otherwise you could drive in 4wd all the time with no problems. Right?

Old 11-20-2004, 10:33 AM
No, its not locked, its open differenial axle...only rear has LSD.

The transfer case, once its turn on the the front shaft is engaged and it become 4x4 but it still has open front diff anyway

YOMAN!

Old 11-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by EddyG88
I am pretty sure the front is already a constant locked system isnt it? Both wheels always have to turn at the same rate in the front. Otherwise you could drive in 4wd all the time with no problems. Right?
I thought it was regular non limited slip drive in front?
But am not sure.
Is it locker or not in front. I didn't think the front was a locker, but could be wrong.

also, what is the center differential? Is it locked like the LR's and LC's or Limited Slip or?

Old 11-20-2004, 10:34 AM
LSD- Limited slip diff thats ONLY option from factory.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by YOMAN
LSD- Limited slip diff thats ONLY option from factory.
Yah, but only for the back, not the front. So that is why I am looking into options for the front and want to know what the center unit is?

Old 11-20-2004, 11:05 AM
The center diff (transfer case) is open when in 2W and a solid with no slip when in 4W. Does that answer your question.

Mike

Old 11-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Dr No
The center diff (transfer case) is open when in 2W and a solid with no slip when in 4W. Does that answer your question.

Mike
NO. DR. NO

The other part of the question was the FRONT DIFFERENTIAL. WHAT IS IT????????????

I don't think it's a LOCKER!!!!!

I don't think it's even LS????????

So it must be non-LS. Which means, can you say GET STUCK!

So if all of the above are true and the fron't diff isn't LS or locker, then who makes an LS or locker than can be used turned on/off with street driving use, so as not to damage it.

sorry if I double posted, but thi system seems to be working strangely today

AS FOR the CENTER DIFF. Do you really think it is locked? You sure? Or it makes sense, which is not always the right answer. I remember an old Jeep commercial, where the jeep truck was the only truck that could pull itself free when both rear tires were off the ground, which means that the center diff on Ford, Dodge and Chevy were not locked or even LS for that matter.

Things have come along way, but no one speaks of this. Everyone speaks of big tires and lift kits, but a lowslung range rover will outcrawl any 12 inch lifted truck that has no LS front center or back. All show no go is no good.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the front is an open diff the tire with the least amount of traction will get all the power wile the one with all the traction will stay put, trust me on this, for the 8.8 ifs front end a few people make a selectable locker for our front ends and i recomend a selectable locker for drivability reosons, arb, eoton, and auburn gear all make selectable lockers the auburn gear ected is a lsd with full locking abilaty but it has a high preload so it is still very drivable,

Old 11-22-2004, 01:53 PM
i am not too sure on this one, but doesnt ford use electronic locking hubs? cause i have heard 4wd guys saying they suck when they break and they want manual ones.

Old 11-22-2004, 03:18 PM
if they are open diffs in the front, then why cant you drive around in 4wd on pavement? If it were open and both wheels could turn at different speeds then you could drive around in 4wd all day with no side effects, right?

Old 11-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no because the transfer is locked ie front tire turning faster than rear wile you are making a turn, yes we have open difs in the front

Old 11-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Sounds to me like some of you are getting locking hubs mixed up with locking differentials. Just to set the record straight, the f150 has an open front differential. If it was locked, then you would not have only 1 wheel spinning at a time as big truck explained. It would also be considerably harder to turn and you would get a popping noise from the front when the wheels are turned sharp. The rear end in the f150 has a limited slip (most 4x4's do, anyway). It will turn both rear wheels to an extent, but when it gets in too much of a bind it will only allow one wheel to turn, like the open diff. The only way to ensure that all four tires spin at the same time is to have front and rear lockers. A selectable locker, like the brands big truck mentioned, would be good for your application. You may also want to consider an autolocker, like the detroit ezlocker. As long as you don't get a spool or have it "lincoln locked" you should be able to have a pretty streetable unit.

Quick Reply: Front Locker/Limited Slip ?