2004 - 2008 F-150

Best place to attach tow rope?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best place to attach tow rope?

Where should I attach a rope to tow, or get towed out of mud or sand? Is a ball on the bumper enough, or should I get a hitch? thanks

Old 11-18-2004, 05:34 PM
IMHO, I wouldnt' use the bumper. That's a disaster waiting to happen. If you don't want to install a hitch, you could very cheaply get some tow hooks bolted to the frame in the back. Grade 8 treated bolts, not Home depot bolts...

Old 11-18-2004, 07:18 PM
If you get a hitch, slide the ball into the reciver upside down. So if your strap breaks the strap hopefully it will go under your truck and not into your tailgate or back window.

If you dont get a hitch tow hooks are the best. I would put a blanket over the stretched strap. If the strap breaks the blanket will absorb the recoil of the broken strap.

Old 11-18-2004, 07:30 PM
On the rear hitch just remove your ball and get a clevis

Old 11-18-2004, 07:49 PM
On the rear hitch just remove your ball and get a clevis
Well I don;t have a hitch yet, I wanted to find other options. So do they make tow hooks to bolt on the frame, or do I have to fab them?

Old 11-18-2004, 08:27 PM
I dont know much about this but what about the place where you hook the safety chains of your trailer....Seems like it should be sturdy enough?

Old 11-18-2004, 08:37 PM
OK, maybe this is the right place to ask this question. When using these tow straps. How am I supposed to hook up the other end after I have already wrapped one end around the vehicle being towed.

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I checked, it looks like those are connected to the bumber, so that would be no good...

Old 11-19-2004, 08:13 AM
Okay. Heres the deal. Regardless of your trucks hardware you need a few basic items. First off get a good tow strap. I would reccomend ProComps 30,000lb 3"x30" strap from 4wheelparts. I just got mine yesterday and the quality is great. (You ALWAYS have to fear a failure during use so get good quality)
You also should pick up a couple of shackles, the same as shown in the pic above. 4wheelparts has a killer package with a tow receiver, a shackle receiver and a extra dring shackle.
I prefer dring shackles over hooks, and most offroad parks wont allow hooks anyway.
Now to do a recovery from the front of your truck, use your factory tow hooks. If you dont have any, buy a set (they are everywhere) and bolt them onto your frame with the proper hardware. From the rear of the truck you can do the same. If you have a hitch then buy the kit I mentioned above. I typically keep the D-Ring Shackle Receiver in all the time and always use it. It is the safest method of recovery.
A good thing to mention is you want to always do a recovery from the frame of a vehicle. Sure you can strap up to an axle or a bumper, but if its a good stuck, you can expect to cause some damage.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:58 AM
I thought ALL F150 2004/05 comes with front tow hooks ??

DO NOT GET TOW ROPE WITH METAL HOOKS cuz its waiting for to happen- can be a death or mess up injury!

Get 2" Shackle recvie w/ D-ring by Warn.com for rear hitch.

I used to own rock crawling Jeep wrangler (SOLD ) i had my friend to welded tow hook front and rear and it holds up well...be sure to do good job with welding and strong.

when to tow car/truck out of sand, snow or mud, be sure no one around near the tow strap like 20-30 or more feet away from it and dont stand around front or rear.
if tow strap break, its like you are shooting a rubber band it can happen so QUICK!!!

Zacky-

thats good idea, never thought of that .

YOMAN!

Last edited by YOMAN; 11-19-2004 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Must be the 4x4's that comes with the hooks. I have the 4x2 Lariat and it does not have any hooks

Old 11-19-2004, 10:50 AM
A good thing to do when using a tow strap is to throw a jacket or something over the strap when taught. This way if the strap snaps, something will help deaded the force. And I cant stress enough to not skimp on recovery equipment.
4wheelparts has a great set of packages at a decent price, check them out....

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/packa...ll.asp?cat=ACC

Heres the one I bought, along with a 30,000lbx30' strap

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/packa...p?cat=TRUCKACC

Old 11-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Arrow

Thanks for the help guys. I know to use the frame due a bad experience damaging my old explorer's axle. I am having trouble finding tow hooks, I guess I will have to go the stealership to see if I can find some front ones. For the back, do I have to get a hitch before attach any on the above mentioned items?

Old 11-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Any offroad store has hooks...heck I bought black ones for my Ranger from Walmart rated for some crazy amount of weight. You will need a hitch for the above mentioned Clevis/Shackle set-ups.

-Tim

Old 11-19-2004, 02:17 PM
I assume when you say you cant find any you mean you cant find the stock tow loops. You can buy any tow hooks. Baja is right, they are everywhere.
For the back you can still go with hooks but you will have to mount them yourself. The hitch is a better option since you also gain the hitch.

Quick Reply: Best place to attach tow rope?