2004 - 2008 F-150

Polished wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polished wheels??

Ok, I've ordered the autospring 2" kit and it should arrive sometime next week. So the next thing I've got to order is wheels and tires. I've decided to go with the Nitto 325/60r18's after talking with Kevin of Autospring.

I really like the look of the MB Blitz wheel found at discount tire, the offset is very close to factory and the look of the wheel seems to "flow" with the lines of the truck.

But the one thing that keeps me from ordering these wheels is the fact that they are mirror machined and polished. I don't know anything about wheels (this will be my first set of aftermarket wheels). Will these things look like crap in a few months , causing me to be upset with my purchase? OR will it be as simple as taking a rag and putting a little wheel polish on them every 4 months or so? I've already been told to throw away all my tire cleaner because the chemicals in them are very harsh and will cause instant spotting on a polished wheel.

Chrome is not an option for me, as I've already posted I just think chrome wheels will look out of place on my truck. Maybe if I had chrome runners and an aluminum toolbox and a chrome bull bar, but I've got black for all these.

Does anyone know of another reasonably priced wheel (18") that isn't chrome and will hold the 325/60's?

Old 11-11-2004, 12:18 AM
Since today was my day off, I went ahead and bought a set of the 18" Blitz wheels in the mirror-machined finish. Several of the local American Tire Co. stores had them in stock.

So far so good. I guess the only way to clean the outward facing spokes (the lip and sides are clearcoated grey) with a mild detergent and a soft bristle brush in a circular motion. Chemical solvents and abrasives definitely out of the question.

As far as how they look, AWESOME. And that's from someone who usually goes for the OEM look. This is the wheel Ford should have used. As far as the fit, the extra inch in width allowed the sidewalls on my 325/65-18's to straighten out. The backspacing of 5.5" with the added width moved the tire's sidewall by a whopping inch outward - clearing the lower control arms. I tossed the 1/4" spacers and will sell the stockers on eBay. The only adjustment made was trimming the rear inside part of the plastic fender flares so the treads don't hit them.

As I've said before, these are the only reasonably priced ($138 each) and readily available wheels closest to the stock wheels.

Will post pics mañana.

Last edited by porkchop; 11-24-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Ultra, where do you live? If you live anywhere that has snow, road salt, etc... STAY AWAY FROM POLISHED WHEELS.

Unless you have a heated garaged and enjoy polishing those wheels on a weekly/bi-weekly basis all winter long to keep them looking good.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Re: Polished wheels??

Originally posted by ultramaxer21
Ok, I've ordered the autospring 2" kit and it should arrive sometime next week. So the next thing I've got to order is wheels and tires. I've decided to go with the Nitto 325/60r18's after talking with Kevin of Autospring.

I really like the look of the MB Blitz wheel found at discount tire, the offset is very close to factory and the look of the wheel seems to "flow" with the lines of the truck.

But the one thing that keeps me from ordering these wheels is the fact that they are mirror machined and polished. I don't know anything about wheels (this will be my first set of aftermarket wheels). Will these things look like crap in a few months , causing me to be upset with my purchase? OR will it be as simple as taking a rag and putting a little wheel polish on them every 4 months or so? I've already been told to throw away all my tire cleaner because the chemicals in them are very harsh and will cause instant spotting on a polished wheel.

Chrome is not an option for me, as I've already posted I just think chrome wheels will look out of place on my truck. Maybe if I had chrome runners and an aluminum toolbox and a chrome bull bar, but I've got black for all these.

Does anyone know of another reasonably priced wheel (18") that isn't chrome and will hold the 325/60's?
Where did you order your autospring kit from?

Old 11-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Finally!!! I got Dzervit to reply to one of my posts, I'm happy now!

I live in the Peach State of Georgia, and I rarely see snow. Maybe once or twice during the winter and it only hangs around for a couple days at most.

Porkchop, Post your picks today not tomorrow! You've got a truck similar to mine, except I've got the lower DSG on my red FX4. Which leveling kit do you have? When I called the guy at autospring (kevin) he said I could probably clear the 35's with the 2" kit, but he didn't recommend doing it. Something about the weight of the tire and the F150 wasn't designed to handle that large of a tire or something with just a leveling kit. Maybe I should have raised the BS flag when I got off the phone with him, but I did order the kit none the less.

You got MB Blitz M.M 18" for $138 a wheel? At discount tires website they are listed for $155?

Old 11-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Just make sure you keep them clean. Once they get dirty, even from just regular rain and road dirt, they get really hard to clean again. I had polished wheels on both my vehicles! I sold the one and don't plan on getting another set any time soon. Never for a daily driver...especially in the Motor City!

Old 11-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Man this is getting tuff. I talked to a guy at work today that has a set of eagle alloys (186's i think) on his 04 chebby that are polished aluminum and he said it wasn't that hard. I looked at his truck this afternoon and the wheels looked like they had a haze on them. Almost like oxidation or something. If I would have thought about it I should have tried wiping one of the wheels with my hand to see if this haze would come off.

I just found a set of eagle alloy's series 178 that are 18x9 that come with a polished finish but only 2mm of offset? They have the 6x135 lug pattern. I've seen the chrome version on several trucks, so I assume this is the same wheel just polished.

Dzervit, give me your opinion. Chrome or polished? Slap me up side the head or something. As I've said several times the reason I don't want chrome is because all my accessories are black (tool box, cab steps, bull bar) heck even my soon to be leveling kit will be painted black (autospring). THe only chrome on the exterior is the f150 badges and the chrome ring around the ford emblem

Trending Topics

Old 11-11-2004, 08:06 PM
ultramaxer,

If you want to avoid chrome, and you're not sure about polished, have you given teflon wheels any thought?

American Racing Mojave

American Racing Victor

Just a thought...I feel the same as you in regard to keeping the chrome on my truck to a minimum....someday I hope to get the AR Mojave teflons, or something along that line, depending what else comes on the market...

Old 11-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by ultramaxer21
Finally!!! I got Dzervit to reply to one of my posts
Getting Dzervit to reply to a post is like getting a dog to bark.....getting a squirrel to eat a nut.....getting a kangaroo to jump.....getting a bird to fly......you get the idea.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
polished is a pita no matter where you live. I had some polished on my last truck and after a couple of years I couldnt get them to look new even after hitting them with a polishing wheel on a drill.

Like those black ones JohnAndDar, id love to put some on my truck, just dont have the $

Old 11-11-2004, 08:49 PM
I've sworn off Polished wheels for ever... that haze that you saw on your bud's wheels.. .get used to it!!! I swear not 7 days after I polished my wheels up real good they looked like crap again.

Right now if I want something shiney it's all about the chrome. It hold up well, requires about 100 hours less work per year & looks awesome. If you buy polished & then whine later about what a bitch they are to clean, I'm going to come down to GA (if I can avoid Tuff & his squad car) and bust out the Tan Terror on your ****.

J&D - Those teflon wheels... well... interesting. Just to dark for my tastes. I've got these wheels on my mind, though. A nice alternative to chrome..

And WTF? I've NEVER replied to one of your threads?! Huh.. I guess anything is possible!

Old 11-11-2004, 09:10 PM
I've got the teflons on my truck. I've had chrome on the past and didn't like how quickly dirt would show. The teflons aren't a showy, but I really like they way my truck looks with them.

Old 11-11-2004, 09:14 PM
and those wheels are made of what and have what kind of finish?

I agree, those wheels are to dark my taste. However they do look very cool.

Old 11-11-2004, 09:54 PM
I dunno... but they look cool.

http://www.demodawheels.com/ They can give you all the info!

Old 11-12-2004, 02:32 PM
OK, I got tired of trying to mentally visualize what the truck would look like with chrome wheels. I'm not a pro with photoshop but I think I did ok. Tell me what you guys think.

This was my first attempt at posting a picture inside a thread. Click on my gallery to see the full size picture. I need some "schooling" on posting pictures!

Last edited by ultramaxer21; 11-12-2004 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Polished wheels??