2004 - 2008 F-150

rear end shudder question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post rear end shudder question

Hi,

I just purchased a 2004 supercab flairside FX4 with 3.73ls it now has 600 miles on it. Ever since day one on slow to moderate takeoffs it had a slight shudder almost like a hesitation in the rear end, it doesnt matter if the wheels are straight or turning. Today on the highway i noticed around 85 mph when i let go of the gas the truck vibrates slightly for a sec like if i were going over a washboard.

I contacted the dealer about this and without even going for a test drive he set me up for an appointment monday morning to have the rear end replaced.

My question is would having the rear end replaced cure this problem or could this be something else.

Thanks for any info

Old 10-23-2004, 12:32 AM
i had the rear end shudder on take-off from a stop and when turning....they replaced the ring and pinion gears, as well as put new clutch packs in the Limited Slip....haven't noticed a shudder at all since....it should be a recall, im surprised its not....

Old 10-23-2004, 11:29 AM
I thought it was just me I think I had better call my dealer!

Old 10-23-2004, 12:22 PM
I had it about 3500 miles they added a fluid and it's dimenishing with miles now . I have to look for it to see if it's still there' I accelerate firm off the stops and never feel it.

Old 10-23-2004, 02:45 PM
I think i will just let them replace the rear end like they said they would do. It is scheduled for monday morning and he said i should have it back by monday night.

I will post the results as soon as the work is complete.

Old 10-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Triton2, careful with this. My truck has been in the shop since Oct 4 for the rearend shudder only mine was at 55mph. I have had the rearend replaced adn we are now at the dealer asking if they can put aluminum wheels on my truck to "mask" the problem. I basically told them to eat **** and give me a vehicle dynamics report on why my truck will not run smoothly with steel wheels. Keep in mind that I have had two sets of chrome wheels and one set of aluminum tested already. I'm telling you to be careful and get EVERYTHING in writing.

Jansen_L

Quick Reply: rear end shudder question