2004 - 2008 F-150

Is the Lariat really worth the extra $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Lariat really worth the extra $$$?

So I'm getting close to ordering and I'm going back and forth between an XLT and a Lariat SCrew. The pros for an XLT is that it's about 3 grand cheaper, I can get it in SOLID red (BIG pro)and I happen to like the optional wheels better than the standard Lariat wheels, I can get a console. Cons: no audiophile, no fender flares, ugly gray steering wheel and boring gauge cluster. I could go either way on the floor shift or the leather seats.

Pro's for the Lariat. Black enterior, trip/fuel computer, better hvac setup, attractive gauge cluster, fender flares, leather wrapped steering wheel. Cons: COST, lame color choices, mandatory Arizona Beige 2 tone on red, fake leather, ugly wood trim, I can't get a console with the column shifter.

So there you have it, in a nutshell. What are your opinions on this little quandary of mine?

Old 10-22-2004, 02:04 PM
I didn't like the leather (imo leather shouldn't be in a truck), wood trim or the floor shifter, and gauge cluster. Thats why I got a XLT.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:16 PM
I got a solid black Lariat and wouldnt have even considered the XLT. The leather and wood grain were a must....I personaly wouldnt have a truck that wasnt leather. The fender flares look great and so does the gauges. I personaly dont like the auto climate control but I guess its a nice feature....although I have enough sense to know if its hot turn on the AC and if its cold turn on the heater. You can always add the fender flares and white guages...but I would personaly rather have the nicer truck from the factory. If it comes down to cost chances are if your financing the truck its only going to cost $35 or $40 a month more to go with the Lariat. As for the color thing....I can certainly understand that, I hate two toned trucks and had I not been able to get the Lariat in solid black I wouldnt have gotten one.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Hey I was in the same boat with a FX4 and Lariat. You could do what I did but thats up to you.
I bought an XLT then, bought Fx4 flares, leather wrap steering wheel skin and maybe someday a FX4 cluster if I really thought it needed it. All in all I saved about $2k, I have all the options of a FX4 and I used the money to get the lift and mods.
Its really up to you. What do you like better. I was one who knew I was ripping those stock skid plates off for the lift and wanted a black and chrome truck. Fx4 was more bank and didnt have the chrome.
On this board there are guys that look down at anything below Lariat, others who think the FX4 is some offroading machine and others who think the upper models arent worth it. Really dude just go with what works best for you, they are all great trucks and cater to a lot of different personal needs.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Like posted above. You could get the xlt get some cat skin leather seat covers. Then just get the other parts you want as you go. I think the rule of thumb is for every $1000 saved is $20 a month off.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:23 PM
I love my lariat, very classy! It's a cowboy cadillac! I have the beige interior, wouldn't want it any other way.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:38 PM
I love my Lariat...had a '97 XLT (tough to compare given all the differences), but happy with my '04 choice. I wanted leather (easier to keep clean), heated seats, nice stereo, power seats, memory seats, thing like that...it just came down to the fact that most of what I wanted was included with the Lariat...so I went with it.

-Michael

Old 10-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Yea, at about $20 per every $1000 saved, which is $3000 diff between the 2, that's about $60. With gas at $2.50 a gallon, those $60 dollars make a huge difference. *Sigh* Why are these trucks so damned expensive?

Old 10-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Truck of Doom
Yea, at about $20 per every $1000 saved, which is $3000 diff between the 2, that's about $60. With gas at $2.50 a gallon, those $60 dollars make a huge difference. *Sigh* Why are these trucks so damned expensive?
If you go 72 months at 0% like I did its $13.80 per $1000. The $20 per $1000 rule usualy goes for a 60 month note. Plus chances are when you go to trade the Lariats value VS the XLT will be close to the $3K difference...maybe $1750-$2K. Meaning it will only cost you $1000 or so to have the Lariat.

Old 10-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Get a FX4...sweet trim, can get some nice leather...as well as every color option...why wouldn't you get an FX4??

Old 10-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by RamSS/T
The leather and wood grain were a must...
My opinion is that the wood grain was a MUST NOT.

Old 10-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by COFX4
Get a FX4...sweet trim, can get some nice leather...as well as every color option...why wouldn't you get an FX4??
Becasue all of the better options are only available on the lariat: in-dash message center, electronic automatic temperature control, power-adjustable memory seats and pedals, Driver and passenger leather lumbar controls, Heated front seats, rear seat folding armrest, Homelink, steering wheel audio/climate controls, auto-dimming rearview mirror, lighted visor mirrors, chrome grill surround, body color wheel lips, and beige w/woodgrain interior.

Only benefit of the FX4 is the FX4 decal, and the different shocks. I don't need the shocks because I am putting a rancho 4" lift on!

Last edited by Big SCrew; 10-22-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Guigster
My opinion is that the wood grain was a MUST NOT.
Well its been said before...Opinions are like ---holes....everybody has one! I for one think the "carbon fiber" look is for riced out Hondas!

Old 10-22-2004, 03:33 PM
We can spend all day telling you why you should buy one style vs the other.

Your the one who has to drive it every day. We all enjoy our rides for one reason or another and thats why we all have something different in\on our trucks.

Looking at your first comments, it sounds like you will be happier in the XLT and as Eddy said, you can add some mods to get the exact look you want.

Which every you get, enjoy the ride

Old 10-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by COFX4
I live in Los Angeles and I drive on streets and freeways. I don't need a 4x4. Waste of money, IMO.

Quick Reply: Is the Lariat really worth the extra $$$?