2004 - 2008 F-150

HELP: Loud Clicking Sound While Fan On

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: Loud Clicking Sound While Fan On

My '04 Lariat SCAB has been exhibiting a loud clicking sound, outside the truck while the fan is on. I've heard similar sounds in my other cars when the A/C engages, but in this case the A/C is not on. The clicking happens constantly, every 30 seconds to every couple of minutes while the fan is running. Sounds like something is turning on or off. It just can't be right...any thoughts?

EDIT: This is the interior fan, by the way...not the radiator fan, but the fan for the climate control.

-Michael

Old 10-04-2004, 01:38 PM
The A/C compressor will turn on and off regardless of your A/C button setting depending on the direction that you have the air going for your climate control. Such settings are for defrost, panel/floor mix, and defrost/floor mix. I believe your owners manual mentions this as well.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
The A/C compressor will turn on and off regardless of your A/C button setting depending on the direction that you have the air going for your climate control. Such settings are for defrost, panel/floor mix, and defrost/floor mix. I believe your owners manual mentions this as well.
That makes sense...but does everybody's compressor make a loud enough sound to hear it with the windows up...it sounds like I have baseball cards in my spokes or something.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by MichaelF150
That makes sense...but does everybody's compressor make a loud enough sound to hear it with the windows up...it sounds like I have baseball cards in my spokes or something.
Mine is loud. I can hear it with the windows up. It doesn't bother me because I know what the noise is. If it was some noise that I had no idea where it was coming from, then it would bother me.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
Mine is loud. I can hear it with the windows up. It doesn't bother me because I know what the noise is. If it was some noise that I had no idea where it was coming from, then it would bother me.
I hear you. I think it is bothering me because my '97 F-150 didn't exhibit the same sound with the same frequency. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Cycles

Mine actually cycles every 10 seconds...

It goes click and then pssssssssssssssssss. Somewhat annoying.

I did have to take my truck in twice for A/C problems, so either that is normal or not???

Old 10-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Re: Cycles

Originally posted by mjninke
Mine actually cycles every 10 seconds...

It goes click and then pssssssssssssssssss. Somewhat annoying.

I did have to take my truck in twice for A/C problems, so either that is normal or not???
Every 10 seconds?!?! That sounds out of the ordinary to me. That and the hissing sound could mean that you have a refrigerant leak somewhere. Not real sure though. Hard to know without seeing/hearing it.

Quick Reply: HELP: Loud Clicking Sound While Fan On