2004 - 2008 F-150

MPG 04 Screw 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bullitt4711
I am going to be running a similar setup, except I got the full Airrair intake. Do you think the TBS made any difference in power or mileage?

Hoe do you like the Super 40? I am considering that, a Ravin muff, or IMCO muff with dual out in front of the rear tire. Is it loud? Cause thats important to me. lol

The only other thing I am doing is adding the 1714, so I will let you know if it helps mileage at all. It should be here next week!

~Colby
As far as the TBS I think it was a waste of money. It was the last thing I installed and other then that annoying whistle sound I didn't notice anything. From reading the spec sheet, it's suppose to produce it's greatest HP / TQ gains at the lower RPMS when you need them most. HOWEVER, due to the fact that FORD put out some terrible programming and the excelleration takes a while to kick in, I think I'm past the peak RPM range by the time I'm finally "MOVING" to notice any difference.

As far as the Super 40 goes, I love it. It is definitely loud. Lets just say that when I go by some cars i can set alarms off. ( I always pride myself on that ) But between the "Quiet" steel that ford used and my radio blaring I don't hear too much cabin noise. People tell me all the time that my truck sounds awesome and ask what I'm running.

I've been going back and forth on the tuner. I have another vehicle to drive so I'm not worried about getting the software error and having to send it back. A lot of the reviews I've read have been back and forth. I haven't read too much about MPG only about lag and towing features and such.

I'm definitely interested in knowing how it turns out. keep me updated. Thanks..

~Joe~

Old 09-29-2004, 05:24 PM
You make an interesting point about rpm and the TBS. I wonder if the TBS in combination with the tuner would do any good, since it takes all that lag out and gets you into the rpms quicker. hmm...

I am considering getting it, even though everyone has told me not to. If anything I want the extra noise it makes! I love noise!

Thanks for the input on the Super 40, now I am really debating between that and the Ravin Z33. I just wonder which will be louder and deeper with the front side exit exhaust. DOH! So many choices!

~Colby

Old 09-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Like I said before, I've been reading about the tuner and for the most part it's been more good stuff then bad stuff. I think I might have to give Troyer Performance a call tomorrow.

I have rear exhaust and it's just how I like it. not to loud where you are yelling, but loud enough they can hear you coming.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Let me know how it works out.

~Joe~

Old 09-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Make sure to let Troyer know you are a member of this site. Great discount and well worth it!

~Colby

Old 09-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Sweet. Thanks.

Hey, did you still need the info for a painter down there? I posted on another thread about this place in I.B. (Imperial Beach) that is really good. let me know and I can get you the info if you are still interested.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:49 PM
Sent you an email

Old 09-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Bullitt4711
Sent you an email
Check ur mail.

Old 09-29-2004, 11:28 PM
WOW!
How are you guys getting get 17, 18 and even 19 mpg on the highway? I have owned 4x4 trucks all my life and never saw that.
Even my tundra before I bought the ford was only getting about 16 to 17. I do not have a heavy foot. I am very cautious about that. Who else finds it hard to believe that getting 17-19mpg?
Thanks

Old 09-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Its hard for me to believe, cause I aint getin it!

Old 09-30-2004, 01:39 AM
I cannot explain why my truck is doing so well on MPG but it just is. I have not had any issues with this truck ( 5.4-auto / 4 x 4), that I have read others are having, vibrations, hesitation, etc. I guess, for once in my life, I just got lucky, better yet, I was BLESSED!!
My truck has Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A's for tires, don't know if that makes any difference. The day I took delivery on the truck I made a road trip and racked up 376 miles with 23.5 gallons, which computes 16 even. It may have had 100 miles on it when I took off on the trip. Since then, I have installed an Astro tonneau and just returned from another similar road trip but this figure was totally highway miles, on cruise control, set anywhere from 72 to 77 mph depending on the speed limit, 187.5 miles - 9.95 gallons - 18.84 mpg, my truck now has 1749 miles on it.
I have not done any modifications to this truck since I bought it except add the tonneau. Upon arrival at home from today's road trip, my K & N air filter was waiting for me on the front porch. We'll see if this changes anything, I'm sure it will as I like the "growl" it has now under acceleration. Can't see this helping my fuel economy if ya know what I mean.
Speaking of fuel economy, this is not a real issue for me. I needed a full size crew cab 4 x 4 for hauling my guests/customers on hunts as well as hauling my family around on our whatevers. My previous truck was a 2000 Nissan crew cab 4 x 4, not even close to having enough room. Words cannot express what a difference there is between these two vehicles. DUH....To say I am pleased is a massive understatement.....

Old 09-30-2004, 11:57 AM
HuntinFord,
That is great for you. I wish I had your luck! I just e-mailed you. Can you respond when you get the air filter installed? THanks to all who have helped out on this board. It is very informative!
THANKS AGAIN!

Old 10-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Hi,
My F150 Reg Cab XLT 4x4 with 5.4 and 3.55 ( no limited slip) rearend gets 16.5 mpg routinely around town. Commuting to work is 35 miles each way at 55-65 mph (when the Troopers aren't around) over a 7100 ft mountain pass. Drove 516 miles from Lake Tahoe to San Diego down HWY 395 65-70 mph, got 19-21 mpg. This milage compares with my old 1990 F150 4x4 Custom, long box and it had a 300 6 cylinder in it.
Also had twin tanks, sure wish that option was still available! BB

Old 10-01-2004, 07:42 AM
I'm still in the 14-16 MPG on the highway at around 80MPH with 35's and a supertuner running on mine. I'm also runing 3.73's so my gearing is a bit tall for the bigger tires but I have plenty of power and pickup.

Matt

Old 10-18-2004, 11:56 AM
MPG check on two 300+ mile road trips

I went to visit my parents this weekend. Here are the details for my MPG calculations:

For both going there and the return trip, I was using the SuperChips 1714 tuner on the "High Performance" tune mode. It's nearly all highway mileage.

To parents:
At the start of the trip, I filled the tank with 93 Octane fuel using the fastest possible flow rate from the pump. I waited for it to click off, and then rounded the dollar amount up to the nearest dollar. It was very windy Friday, and my cruise was locked in at 77 MPH most of the time. When I got to the town they live in, I stopped at the local gas station and refilled (91 Octane) - 312 Miles / 21 gallons = 14.86 MPG. Ugh.

Return home:
I didn't do much driving around while I was up there. I topped off the tank again with 91 Octane fuel on top of my leftover 93 Octane fuel. It was about 1/4 93 Octane and 3/4 91 Octane for the tank fill. I used the fastest possible flow rate from the pump. I waited for it to click off, and then rounded the dollar amount up to the nearest dollar. The wind was a lot calmer yesterday, and the cruise control was locked at 70 MPH most of the time. Got to the local gas station near my home and refilled with 93 Octane - 315 miles / 16 gallons = 19.69 MPG. Pretty darn good!

Quick Reply: MPG 04 Screw 4x4