2004 - 2008 F-150

Current PCM Release?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Current PCM Release?

My truck was built at K.C. in 10/03. My PCM is version BME9. I have about 2k miles on it and just had the dealer change the oil. It feels broken in and powerful. However, the throttle lag and odd shift points are still there. The dealer also overhauled the 3.73 LS. That helped a lot. Before it almost felt like the EBrake was on. LOL Anyway, I still feel there are some PCM issues and Ford has newer updates than BME9. Does anyone know what the current revision is?

Old 09-27-2004, 03:13 PM
I would be interested in knowing this as well. Got a truck I want reflashed.

Old 09-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Had mine reflashed today. Took to dealer for inspection,
asked him to reflash for the throttle lag.

Wierd code he gave me,
4U7A-AAB

He kind of complained when I asked for the flash version.
He had to hook the computer up again.

And as mentioned before, I had to remind them to
install an authorized update sticker.

I have no idea how recent this flash is.

Old 09-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Whats the reason for the update sticker?

Old 09-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Whats the reason for the update sticker?
Any emissions related service or update, such as PCM calibration updates, catalytic converter replacement, and the like require an authorized modification sticker, since most of those modifications can only be performed by an authorized dealer. And as a heads up for anyone who may work on the vehicle further on down the road. Officially, vehicles that have open field service campaigns (recalls) are supposed to have modification stickers on them when the recall is done too, but most don't.

Old 10-10-2004, 12:10 AM
I had my PCM reprogrammed with the latest calibration on 10/7/04.

Original: 4F613B0A
New: 4U7A12A650AAB

Old 10-10-2004, 06:13 AM
so whats the features in the latest release and is this all covered under ford warrenty im wanting to know so i take it in and get it done <truck has little over 3600 miles on it and i want to get rid of throttle lag

Old 10-10-2004, 11:32 AM
just curious

hopefully this doesn't sound too dumb, but will a dealership do a reflash just because you are asking, or do you have to have a reason or problem? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Ok i am not feeling real sharp right now, I ditto the flash question, I have had my 04 FX4 since 12/03 and have not had any "flash" is it covered under the warranty? I bought the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper if that makes any difference?

One more question, can someone explain how I can put a picture of my truck in my postings?? Thanks

Old 10-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Forget the second question

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...allery4805.jpg

Last edited by scharmack; 10-10-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hopefully this doesn't sound too dumb, but will a dealership do a reflash just because you are asking, or do you have to have a reason or problem? Thanks.
Too dumb? Sounds like me. But that's another thread...

I've never had anyone ask specifically for the latest reflash and I've never asked for one myself. Most times, reflashes are done to address specific problems. Some dealers are buttheads and won't get you the latest PCM updates unless you come in complaining of a specific problem. If you're gonna ask, I'd go something along the lines of...

"My truck has <this problem>. I've asked around and heard that there was an update for it's computer."

Or, E-mail me a VIN, I can poke around and see if there's any specific updates. I won't know for sure, since some updates don't show up when a VIN request is done; some updates only show when the scantool is connected to the truck.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:52 AM
When I went in and complained about a couple problems that I knew they would not be able to verify, I suggested the reflash based on other people having similar problems.

They said a reflash depended on my truck's build date. At first mention, I could sense a reluctance to just do it. If I didn't go in there with any particular problems, I think it would have been more difficult to pull off.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 AM
FWIW.

My truck was built 08/04 . I do not have the throttle lag problem in the forward gears. There does seem to be a slight delay when backing the truck, but seems more like the torque converter delays locking up more than a throttle response lag.

Old 10-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Re: just curious

Originally posted by RandallT
I originally took my truck into the dealer a few months ago complaining about the throttle response and mentioned I heard there was a PCM update that my fix it. Needless to say, they wouldn't do it and said it was "normal" for the 04 F-150. However, I again took my truck in a couple of times since then complaining about very poor fuel mileage (only getting around 10mpg). Without asking them, they updated my PCM. The throttle response seems to be little better but nothing to write home about. Hopefully my fuel mileage will increase but I'm not holding my breath.

The funny part is before I took my truck in this last time, I had ordered the Superchips tuner. I didn't know the dealer was going to update my PCM. Once I received the tuner, it wouldn't work becuase of the PCM update. I had to send the tuner back to Superchips for an update which I haven't received back yet. I hear the tuner will definitely improve the throttle response and shift points and is the reason why I got it in the first place.

So, it seems, asking for a PCM update just for sake of throttle response, will not get you anywhere with the dealer. However, if you complain about something specific, they may do it without letting you know which is what happened in my case.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:21 PM
The hell with Ford's lame update, Get the 1714 tuner and get a whole new truck!!!!!

Quick Reply: Current PCM Release?