2004 - 2008 F-150

Need Lift Inspiration

Old 09-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dzervit
Alright you lifted freaks.... two questions.

1. Have you/Do you track your mpg's? How much of a decrease did you notice?

2. Ride quality. How much did you sacrafice? It it still a glass-smooth ride over nice roads and bumpier on nasty roads or just stiffer all around? Anybody with the Rancho RS9000X shocks.. are the lower settings cushy or not?

Ok, I lied... THREE questions..

3. Road noise. How much more? I expect more from the mud tires, but what about the guys running the bigger all-terrains?
1. 12 to 13 MPG's on mine.

2. Its a bit stiffer ride but I expected it with a 6"body lift. I went with the Procomp Explorer Shocks they seem to do a good job it came with the package with the lift.

3. I have mud tires on so it sounds a bit like a jet taking off and there is a hum but hey they are mud tires. With the windows up and the stereo on its barely noticable.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by outdoorsmen
great looking trucks guys! just wondering for those of you with the 3:73 rear ends, how bad was the loss of power to the pavement with the larger tires? i bought my truck witht he 3:73ls with the small 235/70/17 because i am going to change them out with bigger and didn't want to pay for upgraded tires twice. but i am now wondering how much power loss i will have. will need to now change the rear end gears? i was just going to put on a front level kit and 33/12.5x17 tires on.
please let me know.
If you do a search you will find a lot of info on this. I have 3.73 and I think the power loss is minimal, yet I am not one for drag racing a lifted truck. I think the intake, exhaust and SCT will bring this truck right where I want it, without gears. You swap gears in the rearend then you get no warranty there anymore. Not something I want to mess with when guys are complaining about rearend issues.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by outdoorsmen
great looking trucks guys! just wondering for those of you with the 3:73 rear ends, how bad was the loss of power to the pavement with the larger tires? i bought my truck witht he 3:73ls with the small 235/70/17 because i am going to change them out with bigger and didn't want to pay for upgraded tires twice. but i am now wondering how much power loss i will have. will need to now change the rear end gears? i was just going to put on a front level kit and 33/12.5x17 tires on.
please let me know.
I am gonna take Mike Troyers advice and go with 4:56 gears when I get the cash for it. I have the 3:73LS and from reading and talking to folks with 4:10 and 4:56 there is a big difference you can expect going up in gear ratio. I just need to sneak it past the boss!(the wife) I have already pumped a boatload of cash into my piggy and she is starting to glare at me when I come on this website or go to some of the others!

Old 09-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by EddyG88
If you do a search you will find a lot of info on this. I have 3.73 and I think the power loss is minimal, yet I am not one for drag racing a lifted truck. I think the intake, exhaust and SCT will bring this truck right where I want it, without gears. You swap gears in the rearend then you get no warranty there anymore. Not something I want to mess with when guys are complaining about rearend issues.
I gotta agree with Eddy on this I put an AIRAID intake and SuperChip on the truck and have done the 91 Octane performance mods and the truck is a hell of alot quicker off the line then without them.

The Airintake and Superchip are the first 2 mods I would suggest for lifted trucks. They are by far the cheapest and if you like what they do for the truck its way easier on the pocket book. Gear Ratio to me on a lifted truck is just for us drag type folks that still want to stomp on our 4x4 and get the fat bastards moving.

You just really need to keep in mind when you buy a 4x4 and lift and tires that you are going to lose some quickness and MPG's its just part of what you expect for riding high and looking down on the rest of the world!

Old 09-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Eddy true lots off super sharp lifted trucks. Like Big John i'm in awe and so ready to jump in . My wife is going to give me the look again LOL

Old 09-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Thx for reply I'm no mechanic but i follow instructions good and i have a shop i can put it in and access to plenty of daily drivers

So far i installed
Jba headers (instructions said cuss and i did)
AiRaid intake
Flowmaster "american thunder" duel exhaust

got that stuff in my sig in settings but it doesent show up?
oh well

Really leaning towards Procomp 6inch for next mod

oh well

Old 09-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Oh yea only reason i really ask is kuz there isnt any 4wheel or Perfomance shops in my area that does that kinda stuff so i pretty much gotta look at the instructions and see if i think i can or require any specil tools or equiment

Last edited by Grunt; 09-23-2004 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:36 PM
I bought the kit online so I had the instructions in front of me a while before I took it to the shop. I was pissed that I had to have someone install it because with the right setup and availability I could have done it.
The front part of the suspension is what takes most of your time. I think the most difficult part is dropping the front differential to put the brackets in. The whole lift is pretty much drop down brackets. If you have dont a header job before and other work on a vehicle I would like to think you can handle this one. It wouldnt hurt to have a good wrench to call if you get jammed up though. Remember, if you take it to a shop and the next day your wheels fall off, its their fault. If you install the lift and the wheels fall off you are just another dumb redneck who got messed up for lifting his truck.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:16 PM
hahaha i d perfer a shop do it but since there isnt any i ll prolly give it a whirl myself thx for the info

After seein all these awsome lookin trucks im gonna have to jump in line

Old 09-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Just had my lift installed!!! I had some problems adjusting to the new hieght, though... kinda hard to see other cars...

Old 09-23-2004, 05:54 PM
My goodness what a little.... Truck. lol.

~Colby

Old 09-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Grunt
Thx for reply I'm no mechanic but i follow instructions good and i have a shop i can put it in and access to plenty of daily drivers

So far i installed
Jba headers (instructions said cuss and i did)
AiRaid intake
Flowmaster "american thunder" duel exhaust

got that stuff in my sig in settings but it doesent show up?
oh well

Really leaning towards Procomp 6inch for next mod

oh well
How do you likethe JBA headers? Was there a difference afterwards? Power, sound, etc?

Also how does the flowmaster sound on the 04? How loud is it? Does it have character to the sound?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by dzervit
Alright you lifted freaks.... two questions.

1. Have you/Do you track your mpg's? How much of a decrease did you notice?

2. Ride quality. How much did you sacrafice? It it still a glass-smooth ride over nice roads and bumpier on nasty roads or just stiffer all around? Anybody with the Rancho RS9000X shocks.. are the lower settings cushy or not?

Ok, I lied... THREE questions..

3. Road noise. How much more? I expect more from the mud tires, but what about the guys running the bigger all-terrains?
1. Get about 1-2 less per mile, thats it. I think the All-Terrains and not mudders help with that too.

2. Ride is exactly the same, just as smooth and maybe even better with the procomp stiffer shocks in the rear. Before I thought it was a little to soft so this made it just right. Smooth as glass.

3. No road noise added what so ever. All Terrains are just as quiet as stock. I cant complain about anything. Its great, I would do it 10 times over.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:29 AM
well shopped some today prices not really bad for some of the top kits at 2100. Called for a quick fix auto spring . Paying off pool and finishing stang right know will have to wait about 6 to 8 mo too. Eddy must have been a long wait i know i will feel it. Wife was giving me the go ahead though since she looked at the lift here . Thanks again guys sharp trucks will be uop there soon.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:56 AM
Stang you should be able to get your lift far under 2100. The procomp and fabtech lift are identical except for the coilovers in the front. Front everyone I talked to, if you replace the coilovers with a lift company's you are going to get a much stiffer ride but better offroad articulation. I decided since mine only gets to see mud and offroad about once a month that it was worth it to keep the nice onroad ride. Go with prcomp, paint it blue like your ride or leave it grey, and installed you should be able to get it for around $1800-$2000. Very good mod, changes everything. I thought this thing got attention before. Ha!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Lift Inspiration