2004 - 2008 F-150

Roll up tonneau covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll up tonneau covers

I'm still trying to decide between a snuglid and one of the roll-up covers. Thanks to all those who posted here, if I go with a roll-up, I'm looking at the JackRabbit or the Roll N Lock. I'm leaning towards roll-up for the convenience factor, no removing the cover to haul large items. My question is, how much room do the canisters take up? Does anyone know which canister takes the least amount of room? Does anyone have close ups of the canister in their galleries? Also, how do they ride, is there any shaking/noise? Thanks

Last edited by Thayer; 09-13-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:52 AM
There are a few pics of my retrax on my truck in my gallery if you want to see it.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=4704

Old 09-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by whitesnake2001
There are a few pics of my retrax on my truck in my gallery if you want to see it.
Did you have to do any modding of your Pendaliner other than the holes for the drain tubes?

MM

Old 09-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Re: Roll up tonneau covers

Originally posted by Thayer
I'm still trying to decide between a snuglid and one of the roll-up covers. Thanks to all those who posted here, if I go with a roll-up, I'm looking at the JackRabbit or the Roll N Lock. I'm leaning towards roll-up for the convenience factor, no removing the cover to haul large items. My question is, how much room do the canisters take up? Does anyone know which canister takes the least amount of room? Does anyone have close ups of the canister in their galleries? Also, how do they ride, is there any shaking/noise? Thanks
My local "everything for a truck and upholstery shop" J&R Upholstery, has a neat deal. They bought the manufacturer of Derta Covers. They offer a snapped or velcro cover, custom fit and installed for $190. Black, clamp on frame, powder-coated and life time warranty. Bows roll up in it, one person rollup, lifetime warranty, they'll custom two tone it with any accent color you want (sown on, not dyed) for free and because they're an upholstery shop first, they can sew on ony logo you want as big as you want onto the cover. The fabric they use cannot be torn. The guy gave me a piece and slit it in the middle about 4" with a razor blade and said tear it. I'm a big guy (6'2" and 225) and could not tear it any further. I'm impressed and my truck is going in this week to get one installed.

If anyone is interested in one of these, let me know. I can probably get a deal if a few are purchased. I'll arrange the details or put you in contact with Jason at J&R if you're interested.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:54 AM
whitesnake2001 -- where did you purchase that cover and how much was it??

Old 09-14-2004, 10:02 AM
shane and mastermix,

Your best bet is to do a forum search for "Retrax" and limit it to just the "2004-2005 F150" forum. Whitesnake, myself and a few others contributed to a number of threads about the Retrax's we purchased. Some of the threads talk about pricing and where some of the best deals were found. I think I recall Whitesnake commenting that he had to do a little trimming of his Pendaliner, but I'm not sure... he definately mentions the Retrax install and his bedliner in one of those threads.

Good luck,

Old 10-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Sorry, I don't get on here much anymore, I surf the Cobra forums when I'm online.

whitesnake2001 -- where did you purchase that cover and how much was it??
I got the retrax from a member of this site. To be truthfull I can't remember who, but he was from Alabama I believe & is a authorized seller of retrax, maybe a regular of this site know's who I'm talking about?

Did you have to do any modding of your Pendaliner other than the holes for the drain tubes?
I did have to cut a slit into the corners of the liner about 6" from the top on the cab side of the liner for the retrax to slide in.

Better late than never on the replies I guess

Trending Topics

Old 10-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by whitesnake2001
I got the retrax from a member of this site. To be truthfull I can't remember who, but he was from Alabama I believe & is a authorized seller of retrax, maybe a regular of this site know's who I'm talking about?
whitesnake,
It's good to see you are still around...even if it's only once in a while. Without searching the old threads, I think maybe you bought yours from JDMnAR...

Take care,

Old 10-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by JohnAndDar
whitesnake,
It's good to see you are still around...even if it's only once in a while. Without searching the old threads, I think maybe you bought yours from JDMnAR...

Take care,
That's the guy, thanks.

Old 10-05-2004, 07:58 PM
My Retrax cover canister is about a foot deep (if you want an exact measurement, let me know and I'll measure when I get home). I have to imagine the covers are all about the same given that the length of cover that needs to be rolled up is always the same and the thickness of the covers have got to be close to the same as well.

I have a spray in liner and no modification of the bed was required for installation other than drilling through the plastic caps on the drain holes to run the drain tubes.

The Retrax certainly shakes a lot...more accurately a "wave" effect from the air rolling across the top of the cover. This is only evident if you are watching the cover in your rear view mirror...there is no noise at all from the cover while driving at any speed.

Quick Reply: Roll up tonneau covers