2004 - 2008 F-150

XM Commander or Roady 2 for '04 F-150?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:54 PM
JCP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guigster,

I found the package of velcro that I used and it is Scotch (3M) brand, stock number RF7011 that's in a red package. The package says each inch of the velcro will hold one pound, so it's pretty strong stuff. The package also says that the adhesive is "permanent adhesive".

Now about getting the wires through.....if you pull back the flex molding that's around the opening to the sunroof, and the flex molding that's around the driver's door opening, you will find that you can get above the headliner pretty easily. I made a "pull wire" out of a coat hanger to help me pull the Commander wire through the headliner. Just bend a smooth loop in the end of the coat hanger wire and tape the Commander wire to it and pull easy. An additional person to help you with this is very helpfull.

Search this board for XM Commander installs and you will find wonderful pictures about taking off the trim piece around the stock radio. The pictures will show you where all the clips are and which screws to remove to get the stock radio pulled out so you can access the wiring plug and antenna wire on the back of the stock radio.

The antenna is really easy to do also. The third brake light removes by taking two screws out. Use the coat hanger pull wire and pull the wire from the third brake hole to the left of the truck's cab. After you have the antenna wire pulled to the left of the cab, you can put the third brake light back in. Now start feeding the antenna wire to the front of the cab to the dash area and feed it behind the stock radio where it will plug into the main box for the XM Commander.

Yes, you do still have full function of the stock radio when this is installed. Since you will be using the FM modulator on the Commander, you will have to just turn off the commander with the power button on the display to receive regular AM and FM stations. You do not have to turn off the Commander to listen to CD's.

Don't worry.....once you get going on this, the whole install goes very easily.

If you get into a jam and need answers quickly, you can email me at: pierceconsulting@earthlink.net

Good Luck, and enjoy your XM Radio!

Old 09-03-2004, 12:06 AM
Thanks a lot. You and TUFF FORD have been a big help. I would like to install it this weekend. But if I attempt to do it myself, I can buy it on line for $135. If I want a store to do it, it'll cost me $169 + installation. So if I make the attempt myself, it'll take a few days to arrive after I order it.

I'll let you know if I need anything else.

Guigster

Last edited by Guigster; 09-03-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Roady2 ashtray install

Anyone out there done the in the ashtray install of the Roady2 unit? picx? Considering this unit if it will look as good as some of the Commander installs posted.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=4615

Old 09-04-2004, 03:10 PM
The Roady2 will not fit in the ashtray without some modifying. You would have to cut out part of the back of the ashtray before it would fit.

Old 09-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Just an FYI and update for you.

I haven't bought this yet. But I was in an auto accessory store the other day which sells XM radios. I asked about Commander vs. Roady and he said definitely Commander over Roady. Then just to see what he'd say, I asked how much it would be for radio and install, and he said $299 + tax. That's a lot I think. That's well over $100 for installation.

Old 10-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Guigster-

Any updates?

Old 10-20-2004, 07:46 PM
I have not bought it yet. Though, I did inquire about it earlier today at the store where I'm getting the starter installed. I hadn't pulled the trigger earlier, then a cold night came along and I moved the remote starter above it on the priority list. I'm still in a holding pattern on this. But with the new MLB deal that went down today, it does entice me more.

Old 10-20-2004, 08:14 PM
I installed the Alpine cda-9820xm and the kca-420i in mine. Has a built in XM receiver and amp. AND I can throw my ipod into the glovebox plug a cable into it and actually control it with the HU - just like the BMW's. It sounds good with the stock speakers, but I miss the steering wheel controls.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:31 PM
Hey TUFF FORD, (or anyone else)
Where did you place the "hideaway XM tuner box"? I like where you mounted the Commander in your truck and I would like to mount mine in the same spot but, I along with the lighter also have the on/off switch for the back up sensor. Maybe I can cheat to the one side and still be able to work the switch. Thx in advance for any and all help.........Dee

P.S. I'm new to this site and have not yet put in my sig but, coming soon.

04 F150 SC xlt 4X4

Old 06-28-2005, 01:00 PM
I still have not bought XM radio yet. Change of family plans altered things. Decided to have the wife resign from work and stay at home to take care of the baby. Down to one income and I couldn't justify the expense at the time. But I'm considering it again.

I've been noticing a lot more of the portable satellite radios around. Have there been any innovations in the last few months that have made them better? Anyone had any issues with sound quality?

And if anyone has one, do you have the mounting kit that you can get for it? Do you have to drill any new holes in anything to install it? Or does the bracket mount to existing screws, etc?

Old 06-28-2005, 03:31 PM
I have a Roady (first one, not the Roady 2 w/ wireless). I had an optional wireless transmitter (always had to fiddle with stations, etc...) and ended up with a wired FM transmitter. The sound quality should be the same for the commander as for the roady with a wired modulator (i.e. not as good as direct, but much better than wireless.)

I use my Roady in my truck and Jeep, easy to swap back and forth. I also use the Roady for my home stereo... Also, I use the wired modulator for my Ipod, something the Commander can't do. You can buy a wired modulator for $30, putting the roady2/wired combo at $130 or less (depending on Roady2 price)... just another option...

Old 06-28-2005, 04:23 PM
I have a MyFi installed. For pure portability, you can't beat it with a stick.

Check out the Satellite Radio Forum on this site for lots of info.

Also, try www.xm411.com and www.myradiostore.com for all things XM.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:43 PM
FYI, the Roady2 can now be bought for $50 at Crutchfield.

Installing one in my wife's X5 this weekend - going to try the wireless hookup first and depending on the sound quality, I might change to the FM Modulator if need be.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Well here I am 13 1/2 months later and still no XM in the truck as a result of finances. Couldn't justify it. However, not that Christmas is just around the corner, I'm back on the bandwagon. Since many more people have gotten XM since my original post, I have a few questions to see if there's any new info.

1. Portable or hard wired? (Didn't know if there were any new innovations that improved portable.)
2. If portable, do I wire it anyway? (How is the wireless modulator?)
3. What do I need to have it hardwired? (I have an '04 where I don't think the AUX button is an option.)
4. Did anyone listen to MLB this season? If so, to get the games, do you have to pay additional money or do they broadcast as part of your regular subscription?

Thanks for your help. I realize I've been a PIA about this, but when it comes to dismantling things, mounting things, cutting wires, I get VERY hesitant.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:55 PM
The sound quality of the wireless is terrible. Did as my previous post stated and tried out the wireles first and ended up hardwiring it through the factory system in my wife's X5. Hard-wired the Roady2 sounds great!!

Quick Reply: XM Commander or Roady 2 for '04 F-150?