2004 - 2008 F-150

Repositioning the Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repositioning the Running Boards

In another thread, I mentioned how I noticed that my black tubular running boards were not positioned in the same spots on either side of the truck. The passenger side one was more towards the front and the driver's toward the back.

Someone said that the holes these were bolted to were long oval holes so that you could slide them a little forward or backward depending on your preference. All I had to do was loosen them and move them.

Well I loosened them, but still couldn't move them. Is there any secret to making these move easily without removing everything? There appeared to be a little movable clip inside that loosened, but I'm afraid to take the bolt completely out for fear of not getting everything back into place.

Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way if you plan to do it, the bolt is a 13MM bolt.

Old 08-20-2004, 02:50 PM
The clips you are talking about are threaded and clip into the hole. They will not fall-out. The holes are not oval shaped. You might need to move the clips to different holes. After you remove the the bolt tie a string to the clip and use a screwdirver to pry the clip out for realignment.

Old 08-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Is there also a nut that the bolt goes through? It appears to go through something on the upper side of the bracket. Is it permanently attached to the bracket or will that fall off if I take the whole bolt out?

Old 08-20-2004, 11:29 PM
The "clip is threaded" No Nut.

Old 08-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Thanks DeVoTee. I'll give it a shot. I may only have to move the passenger side running board back one hole to even them up.

Old 09-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You cannot move the nut clips attached to the rocker. There are only three sets of holes. It depends on what boards you have. Some only have two brackets and some have three. You can get a little adjustment on the bar itself but not much. If these are 4 inch or 5 inch purchased from the dealer, then there are a couple sets of inserts on the boards and maybe someone has them in the wrong holes, and if you purchased these about six months ago they made a right and left side, now they are both universal, you may have two lefts or two rights. Let me know if there is anything you need and I will help you out.

Quick Reply: Repositioning the Running Boards