2004 - 2008 F-150

FX4 vs Lariat, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post FX4 vs Lariat, etc.

If you had to choose (or have already chosen)...

(1) FX4 or Lariat trim level, and why?

(2) SuperCrew or SuperCab body, and why?

(3) Styleside or Flareside box, and why?

I'm hoping this can help me decide...

Old 07-19-2004, 05:17 PM
My decision was between an Infinity G35 or an F150.

I wanted a luxury vehicle, but I need a pickup often enough for
little things around the house that I started looking at trucks too.
The Lariat (in my opinion) was the best combination of the two. I
also never go off road, so I couln't justify the extra cost of the
four wheel drive.

I also went with the super crew. I always have friends with me
when we go out or go camping and the super cab isn't really big
enough for adults to be comfortable for long periods of time.

Last edited by Blk98stang; 07-19-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:19 PM
hello Tex - welcome aboard!!!

For me it was LARIAT over FX4. Simply didn't need the 4x4 or it's expense (although I did think about since this is the 1st time in 20 years I don't have 4x4)

SUPERCAB - 5.5' bed was too short for my needs (and NO the bed extender does NOT make it all the same) My primary use for th F150 will be 1) using as a truck 2) cruising with me & wifey, 3) having 2 MORE people in the back just needed to be doable and semi-reasonable. It is not a "people hauler"...at least for my purposes.

STYLESIDE - Simply like the looks better and don't want people tempted to scale the sides of my truck!!! Hand OFF you dirty buggers

Anyway - those are MY reasons and they are still valid. I went back and forth on Scab vs Screw for some time and for me the choice was still correct.

Old 07-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Lariat screw for me. Needed to haul small items and be nice enough to drive clients around.

Old 07-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Blk98stang
My decision was between an Infinity G35 or an F150.

I wanted a luxury vehicle, but I need a pickup often enough for
little things around the house
Right on Blk98stang - if I was in your particular position I also would have gone Screw. Gotta admit it is nice not having to move the seats up for long trips.

Old 07-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Just went through that a week or two ago.

1. Although I prefered the body-color bumpers on the fx4, I felt that the instrument cluster was much nicer in the Lariat (white guages and comes with the message center). I also felt that the Lariat drove smoother/softer than the fx4. To top things off, by the time I added up my options, they were comparably priced, so I went with the Lariat.

2. I went with the SCREW because there's just tons more room in the back. Be it for lugging the kids around, or taking a client out to lunch, it was just more practical.

3. Chose the styleside as I didn't like the overall look (especially the cleats) of the flareside.

I now have just over 500 miles on my new truch, and couldn't be happier with it!

Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by les017
Right on Blk98stang - if I was in your particular position I also would have gone Screw. Gotta admit it is nice not having to move the seats up for long trips.
I love it! I don't regret my choice for one second. Especially when I bought a couple 6' shelving units for the garage at Home Depot. I love not worrying about how I'm going to get something home.

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Guess I'll wade on in with another view point!

1) FX4, needed 4 wheel drive anyway and the wood grain dash didn't float my boat. I also like the DSG colored bumpers and wheels.

2) Scab, needed the extra room in the bed instead of the cab for hauling plywood, etc. Saying that I still got an extra 6-8 inches over the cab of my 97 and the kids don't seem to mind riding back there.

3) Styleside, simply because of looks.

Choices, choices!!

Old 07-19-2004, 06:51 PM
I'll just start out by saying I don't care what you get as long as you get a 150 . You can't go wrong with any of your above choices and the below is my honest opinion:

1) I chose the FX4 because I did not care for the wood trim in the Lariat. I think it looks out of place. The only way I would get the Lariat would be with the tan interior. This however opens a worse can of worms, you can see the dirt more on the seats, bottoms of the doors, etc. Also, I like the gauge cluster on the FX4 better. It looks tough, like a race car, I guess. And I don't care for the white face dials on a truck.

2) I chose the Screw because my previous truck was a 96 Ranger and no offense but the truck, especially the cab was way to small. I not only wanted bigger, I wanted biggest. I did 8 years in that ranger. Also I could never drive with anyone in my truck because of the sorry excuse for the jumpseats. As far as the 5.5' bed goes, the 8 years I had the ranger I never really hauled anything other than mulch, dirt, a few washing machines and a piano. So the 5.5' doesn't bother me.

3) I chose the styleside over the flareside. I didn't care for the tie-down hooks on the side of the bed.

Boy, that felt good to get that off my chest. I am usually not this opinionated.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Damn Zoltan thats one bad *** looking truck.

Im glad the one I ordered looks just like it!

Tom

Old 07-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought a 2WD Lariat Supercab. I was originally shopping for used 3 Series BMWs. My previous car was an '03 Focus ZX3, and I liked the manueverablity of it, but standing 6'1" and 270 lbs, the Focus looked, well, abbynormal. Add that the '01 330i I found was going for about $3K less than what my F150 stickered at...I'll own one someday, but not at $29K for a three year old car with 40K miles on it.

I don't really need 4WD. We very rarely, like once in a blue moon, see snow here. I don't go thrashing around offroad. I spend all my time running through rush hour traffic in Columbus mostly. I wanted a Supercrew, but the dealers I went to didn't have any on the lot optioned like I wanted, and I'm an impatient type so I didn't want to order.

Bed was no question to me, styleside. I don't really dig the stepside '04s, the stylesides look much cleaner to me. If I had to do it all over again, though, I'd order a white or arizona beige '04 Supercrew Lariat. I'm still happy with what I got though.

<edited cuz I forgot a word or three. Whoops.>

Old 07-20-2004, 09:18 AM
YAO...

(1) FX4 or Lariat trim level, and why?
Lariat screw here. FX4 dash is sweet, but the tach on the left drove me insane. I wanted it on the right. FX4 is great if you like black interiors, 'cuz that's all your going to get. The tan interior of the Lariat is friggen a work of art. The faux wood grows on you, and if not you can always replace/cover it with whatever.. The message center rules. ETAC is cool, Homelink rocks if you have a garage door opener, self-dimming rear view mirrors are the shiz-nit, steering wheel controls... blah blah blah.. basically, more goodies!!! Check out http://www.fordvehicles.com/Trucks/f...ures/interior/ for the breakdown, and be sure to look at the exterior features as well.

(2) SuperCrew or SuperCab body, and why?
SuperCrew... pure interior room baby. THe cab is gigantic! You lose a foot of bed space, but if you haul people more than stuff, the screw is the ONLY way to go! Plus, the BIGGEST thing for me is that you actually have a pillar to mount the seat belt too! None of that stupit in-seat restraint crap in my screw baby!!! Woo-Hoo!! If your a big guy like me (6'10"), that in-seat stuff is for short people..

(3) Styleside or Flareside box, and why?
Styleside... just personal thing.. never been a big fan of Flares, and I would miss the extra space...

Old 07-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Re: YAO...

[i] If your a big guy like me (6'10"), that in-seat stuff is for short people..

[/B]
I am 6'4" plenty of room for me in a screw, but 6'10"? Holy crap, dzervit, you're a sasquatch! I think you should just rip out the front seat.

Old 07-20-2004, 11:52 AM
I couldn't afford either the FX4 or the Lariat so I got an XLT. I went with a supercab b/c I liked the proportions than a Screw. I think that with the deeper bed the flareside didn't look as appealing to me as the stylesdie. You are not going to go wrong buying either of those models. cheers!

Old 07-20-2004, 11:54 AM
stupid double post

Last edited by fatman66; 07-20-2004 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: FX4 vs Lariat, etc.