2004 - 2008 F-150

Taking orders for K&N intake kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Taking orders for K&N intake kit

That's right get them while their hot. I know a lot of you have been as anxious as me for these to come out.

www.performanceproducts.com is taking orders for the FIPK for the 2004. I got the catalog in the mail, it's on the back page and I called to confirm it. The salesman said they would be in the store within two weeks and then shipped.

All for the grand price of $299.95, free shipping.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:00 PM
$299! Yowzers!

Old 07-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Just called K&N, that's the one! Came out yesterday. (800)858-3333.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:19 PM
I would be very interested in hearing about an actual HP gains this intake gives you, keep us updated.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:14 PM
K&N FIPK 0r K&N Air Charger Performance Kit?

I went to the Perfromance Products and K & N websites, but only saw the K & N "Air Charger Performance Kit" (KN part number 63-1089) listed at either.

This is not the same as a FIPK. From K & N's website for this product:
K&N's AirCharger® Off-Road & Racing Performance Kits are similar to FIPK’s except they are NOT legal for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles in some states and they come with K&N’s Off-Road/Racing Limited Warranty. K&N intake systems replace your vehicle's restrictive factory air filter and air intake housing. K&N intakes are designed to dramatically reduce intake restriction as they smooth and straighten air flow. This allows your vehicle's engine to inhale a larger volume of air than the OEM air filter assembly. More air means more usable power and acceleration throughout the engine's RPM range. The filters on these kits are washable and reusable. Most of our intake kits are relatively easy to install using tools commonly available (see installation instructions).
If there is a part number available for a K & N FIPK for the 2004 F150 5.4L 3v, please post it in this thread.

Thanks,

Last edited by JohnAndDar; 07-13-2004 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Yeah, John, there is some confusion here. I have the PerfPro catalog and I also checked their website. Their site refers to the Air Charger (not legal in all states) and the catalog states '57 Series FIPK' (50-state legal)...this needs to be cleared up.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Ok tell me if this sounds right.

I contacted Performance Products and K&N. They both said the same thing in that the K & N "Air Charger Performance Kit" (KN part number 63-1089) is the exact same unit as the 57 Series FIPK MINUS the CRB (Carb Emissions) sticker, which makes the Intake kit street legal.

Now Performance Products said they wouldn't get their shipment of "Air Chargers" until 7/26. Both K&N and PP said the time varies as far as how long you have to wait to get your CRB sticker. PP told me that if their shipment comes with the CRB stickers then they will be shipped to you with the FIPK which will essentially be a 50 state street legal 57 series FIPK. K&N told me to keep your receipt, and send or fax a copy of it to them, they will send you a form to fill out and in turn mail you the CRB.

I am not 100% sure why the CRB sticker wouldn't come with the FIPK in the first place. More testing? But the filter has left. Proof of Purchase to K&N?? Who knows.

The guy from K&N said that you are basically using this at your own risk before you get your CRB. He just recommended not getting pulled over for speeding if you live in California, because apparently he said the cops check this sort of thing when they pull you over. Also to make sure you have that CRB sticker on there before you get your emissions checked.

I know it sounds like a lot of effort, and I should probably wait until a time where I know that when I buy it the CRB sticker is with it.

You make the call

Trending Topics

Old 07-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Right on Zoltan! Apparently, K&N is awaiting CARB certification, but wanted to get to market to meet competition. IMO, I would wait. Too much $$ (fine) and restoring to OEM would be a hassle.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Might have to let it sit in the garage until the certs come in. My inspection/emissions aren't due until January and cops don't check this sort of thing down here.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:39 PM
why not buy it use it and when its time to get your car checked or w/e it is everyone is worried about put it back to stock? is this car checking a state by state thing?

Old 07-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Just a nasty thought...what if K&N fails to get CARB certificaton? In Oregon, that serialized stick-on from CARB is ESSENTIAL! On my '97, it was firmly stuck to the A/C fan housing on the firewall.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by SVTErick
is this car checking a state by state thing?
I think they are doing this moreso in California with all the emissions/smog control and ricers. He only mentioned Cali., which is where PP is.

Old 07-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Grimalkin
Just a nasty thought...what if K&N fails to get CARB certificaton? In Oregon, that serialized stick-on from CARB is ESSENTIAL! On my '97, it was firmly stuck to the A/C fan housing on the firewall.
I don't know. Send it back to where you bought it from, make sure you don't loose that receipt? Or even worse swap back to OEM whenever you get emissions tested. .

I'm sure K&N will make it right

Old 07-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Has any heard if this K & N system will create the dreaded "Lean engine" condition that all the other manufactures have found. I know that Air force 1 won't release theirs yet, and Airaid wound up recalling their original units. I've heard some of the new release Airaids are still giving some problems and engine code settings . I like K & N product and have used it in the past, however a lean engine condition is really bad and can cause severe damage...I can't seem to get any feedback on the K & N system for this new 5.4 3 valve motor as to if they solved the lean condition. With all the post on the CARB sticker info. makes me wonder if this item is truely ready for release.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Well call me crazy, but I went ahead and placed my order. I received an e-mail today that it should arrive on to me here in Boston. I guess the way I am rationalizing it is the K&N name and the fact that I trust them. Hopefully I will be right and everything will turn out ok.

In the past my experience with KN is that their products don't always offer the highest performance on the market, but they counter that with a great warranty, good customer service, and reliability. And for me and this truck which I plan on having for a long time reliability is essential.

I had actually ordered a Volant intake and then cancelled the order the next day to instead order the KN. Unfort. the Volant already shipped so I guess I will have to refuse it.

In case anyone has been waiting for a Volant, which I know is either out of stock everywhere or is selling for too much money - Hop Up Racing is where I ordered from. They have the Volant for the 5.4 in stock for $233.

I will prob change my mind a handful more times before I actually put on of these systems in, but whichever I choose I will def. keep you guys updated since, as I mentioned in another post, I plan on taking it to the dyno right away to see what kind of hp gains we are looking at.

-antonio

Quick Reply: Taking orders for K&N intake kit