2004 - 2008 F-150

Will the dealer reflash the PCM without me asking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the dealer reflash the PCM without me asking?

I see a lot of talk about people getting theirs reflashed by the stealer. Do you have to ask them for the reflash, or will they do it for you?

Do you walk in and ask?

Or, do they realize that you have a build date of X, they reailze there is an update available, and know to reflash it?

What will a reflash do?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-11-2004, 05:30 PM
I just got mine flashed and the throttle body replaced for the "Engine Failsafe Mode" problem and it seems to have taken care of my throttle hesitation problem as well. The truck just seems to be running better now. Plus I went from 14.3 to 14.8 in mpg according to the message center "gastimator".

Old 07-11-2004, 07:37 PM
They generally flash it to fix a known issue that has a TSB that says to flash it. If your dealer will flash it by you asking, you are lucky. Mine was flashed because the outside temp display was inaccurate and there was a TSB for it.

Old 07-11-2004, 08:54 PM
If you have a good dealer, they will run a check to see what's needed. If reflash is one of them, they should do it. If your dealer is lazy and didn't do it, find another dealer.

Old 07-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell the service advisor that when you step down on it to pass it hesitates for a few seconds before it down shifts. That’s what I told my service advisor when I went in for an oil change about 3,000 miles ago. They didn’t even test drive it, just changed the oil and reprogrammed the PCM.

I really did have the hesitation and the re-flash made a big improvement.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:21 AM
I asked my dealer to flash it, so he entered "truck runs rough" in the service record. This forces the techs to re-flash. From this I'm assuming they won't flash it unless it's "required" by their service manuals or whatever they follow.

BTW, my truck runs much better after the flash too.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:04 PM
I have a question about reflashing. When this is done does it vary from truck to truck or does the dealer just flash the most current setup for your particular engine, and if so what changes are normally made? I'm asking because my '04 STX 4X4 seems to hesitate when downshifting when I'm passing someone, it's not really a problem, but I wish it reacted a little quicker.

Quick Reply: Will the dealer reflash the PCM without me asking?