2004 - 2008 F-150

Super crew with a longer box

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super crew with a longer box

I recently leased a 04 F150 supercab with the 6.5 foot box.I would like to have gotten the super crew but being a contractor I can not live with that 5 foot trunk they call a box.My ? is since ford makes the supercab with the 8 foot box and all the engineering is done for that wheel base Why can't they put the crew cab with a special length box onto that chassis.I mean it has to be peanuts to engineer a box compared to everything else.That truck I would buy the reason I leased for 2 years is hoping they come out with that truck and a baby diesel.My last truck was a 2001 Chev 2500HD Crew Cab 8 foot box with Vortec8100 nice truck but was killing me at the pumps

Old 05-16-2004, 02:29 AM
I leased a 2002 f-150 super cab with the 6.5 ft. box and I also work in construction, granted the extra room in the cab is nice, but I haul more cargo than people.

Short box trucks suck, no way arround it. For the extra $$$$ I don't think your getting a deal.

I like the concept of the Chevy avalanch, can't justify the price for it, but if ford could take that concept to the next level and offer rear seat's that fold flat into the box, allowing you to have a eight foot box when needed, and seats for passengers when your not hauling 8 ft sheet's of dry wall, or dirt, ect, I would buy it.

Old 05-16-2004, 09:16 AM
box

Most people who buy the F-150 do not need a longer box. I would not want one because it would not fit in my garage and I don't do a lot of hauling. If you need a bigger box that is what the F-250 and F-350 is for. Anyway, Ford will put the longer box on in the next 2 years.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:27 AM
It's not as simple as just making a box that will fit a pre-existing chasis. The frame would also have to be changed. The curvature of the frame mimics the cab/bed of the vehicle. The frame would have to be re-designed. That means some of the body and bed mounts perches would have to be relocated. Also, the fuel and brake line bundles are rigid and conform to the frame so they would have to be changed as well.

I do agree with you though. I may have considered a SCREW if they didn't have that small 5'6" bed. Not only is it too small for my needs, but I also THINK it makes the truck look out of proportion.

... and I don't believe Ford will offer a SCREW with a longer bed any time soon either. They had that little bed on the last body style and continued it with this body style.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Re: Super crew with a longer box

Originally posted by SavageCanuck
I would like to have gotten the super crew but being a contractor I can not live with that 5 foot trunk they call a box.
As a contractor, I don't understand why you didn't go the route of Super Duty. You get the crew cab and sort or long bed. Plus the option of going V10 or Power Stroke. Do the math. It's not far off the cost of what you're driving now.

Quick Reply: Super crew with a longer box