2004 - 2008 F-150

SCT Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCT Question

I know this has been discussed, but I just need to verify. I've had chips before, but not the programmer/tuner type.

What other benefits do these "tuners" have over a regular chip?

Can you set your PCM back to stock programming?

Do you have to have them plugged in all the time or do you just program and unplug?

Is there anything keeping you from using it on more than one vehicle?

What will be the difference between the current 5.4L 3V flash and having the tuner?

Any quess at what the tuner will cost or any updates on price?

Will SCT be offering any type of discount on the programmer if you already had them flash your PCM?

Thanks for the help.

I'm just asking because the chips I've bought in the past have been under $300 and $419 to have my PCM flashed seems kind of high... plus the tuner will probably be more?!?!

Old 05-13-2004, 08:49 AM
It took these people six months of dyno time to figure out how to do the flash program. $419.00 seems like a bargan for spending that much time and money on a product to make your truck go faster.

Just my opinion.

Mike

Old 05-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Hi baja150,

I have had my PCM reflashed by SCT with the 93 Octane performance tune. I ordered it through Troyer Performance. I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

What other benefits do these "tuners" have over a regular chip?:
Some of the upshift points are increased, shifting is generally firmer (but not too firm IMO), and the factory speed limiter is removed. Throttle response has been improved, also.

Can you set your PCM back to stock programming?:
I can't, bacause I had to send my PCM to SCT for the re-flash. When the CAN flasher/tuner is available, you will be able to switch between the stock and performance tune whenver you wish.

Do you have to have them plugged in all the time or do you just program and unplug?:
With the flasher, you'll just need to plug it into the diagnostic port when you change the tune program. Then you store it until you want to change the tune again.

Is there anything keeping you from using it on more than one vehicle?:
I expect the new flashers will work like the 1715 tuners for prior model years. With them, when you load the performance tune on your truck, the tuner saves your stock tune program and becomes "VIN locked", meaning it cannot be used on any other vehicle until it is used to return your truck back to its stock program. This prevents someone from trying to load the custom tune on more than 1 truck at a time.

What will be the difference between the current 5.4L 3V flash and having the tuner?:
I don't think that there will be any substantial difference between the custom PCM tunes availalble now in the different Octane levels and what will be available when the flashers come out. I would expect that they may be "tweaking" the programs based on feedback/results from those who have had their PCMs reflashed already.

Any quess at what the tuner will cost or any updates on price?:
It's only a guess, but I would expect it to cost in the neighborhood of $400-$450.

Will SCT be offering any type of discount on the programmer if you already had them flash your PCM?
I don't know about SCT, but I did discuss this with Mike Troyer and they are going to offer special pricing for those of us who already purchased the PCM reflash if we also want to purchase a CAN flasher when it is available.

Personally, as it sounds like the CAN flasher might be available in the next month or so, I'd recommend waiting for it, instead of sending the PCM in for the reflash for 2 reasons:
1) To save money and truck downtime. Cost of PCM reflash+insured shipping+vehicle downtime+discounted cost of CAN flasher when it is available. VS. Cost of CAN flasher when it is available.
2) I no longer have the stock program on my truck's PCM, so if I want to get the CAN Flasher, I'll need to have a dealer reflash my truck with a stock program before I could use a CAN flasher.

I've generally been low key in my posts about the SCT performance tune on my truck, mainly because I don't want to build up unreasonable expectations in other members. Although I've had to send my PCM back to SCT for some changes twice, I am still very pleased with my truck's performance. It is awesome to drive. I'm driving to CT this weekend and am looking forward to the trip, mainly because I know I'll enjoy the drive (especially being able to accelerate quickly at will on the NJ Turnpike), now more than ever. I don't mind paying the extra $$ for 93 Octane because of the improved driving, plus I'm realizing approx. 8% increase in mileage local driving and the 93 Oct. has been costing anywhere from 8% to 11% more than 87 Octane.

Sorry for the long post. I hope it is helpful.

Old 05-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by JohnAndDar
Sorry for the long post. I hope it is helpful.
Yes, very much so. Thanks for the input. If you don't mind me asking... why did you have to send it back?

Old 05-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by baja150
Yes, very much so. Thanks for the input. If you don't mind me asking... why did you have to send it back?
The 1st time I installed the reflashed PCM, my "Service Engine Soon" (SES) light came on. I took it to the dealer and found out what codes it was throwing. This was relayed to SCT by Troyer Performance, so by the time they received my PCM back from me, they had already figured out where the problem was in the program and gave me a corrected reflash.
When I got that back, everythin was fine, until I had my truck dyno'd and discovered the factory speed limiter had not been removed (which prevented the truck from reaching full power in 3rd gear on the dyno)...so I sent it back again. I've since gotten it back and everything is fine. I just got back from a weekend trip of 800 miles, and all is good.

John

Old 05-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Ok one more ?

I read that SCT asks what mods (tires, intake, etc.) have been performed to the truck before they actually reflash your PCM. Are the changes they're making based on your mods something that I would be able to change myself if I had the tuner?

Old 05-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by baja150
Ok one more ?

I read that SCT asks what mods (tires, intake, etc.) have been performed to the truck before they actually reflash your PCM. Are the changes they're making based on your mods something that I would be able to change myself if I had the tuner?
As far as I know, SCT hasn't disclosed any of the features in the tuner that will be coming for the new F150s...so we'll have to wait and see how "flexible" and "programmable" it will be.

John

Quick Reply: SCT Question