2004 - 2008 F-150

DJM Lowering kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
DJM Lowering kits

My dad wants want to lower his '04 4X2 and I have no knowledge on the new '04's, espicially 2WD stuff. I've been searching and found the DJM stuff...is this the way to go? I noticed it needs new shocks for the rear, but you don't have to change anything on the front even though you change the lower control arms? Could also use a little info on the rear lowering as well. Is the DJM the way to go for an '04?? Thanks for the help guys. Oh yea, recommendations on wheel/tire sizes as well...

Off the subject, during searches I have notcied quite a few people removing the blocks to lower the rear of their 4X4's....Why??

Old 05-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first received my '04, I was very uncomfortable in the seats. I removed the 2" blocks in the rear to make it easier to get in and out of the cab and keep from feeling like I was sliding out of the seats. New Ford U-Bolts #4L3Z-5705 are required to do this properly. I don't remember how much these cost, but it wasn't excessive.

I also found by adding 3/4" hex nuts under the front of the seats, the driving position was greatly improved.

Still my wife was complaining about the height of the truck. So, I installed the Ground Force lowering shackles in the rear with the aluminum shims to place the rear axle at the correct angle. The truck is noticebly lower and is easier to get in and out of. Also, getting into the bed is much easier.

Last edited by hihosilver; 05-12-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:49 PM
You say you removed the 2" blocks from the rear?? Does this mean you have a 4 wheel drive? If I'm correct, there is no blocks to remove on a two wheel drive and my next question would have to be why would you want to lower a 4 wheel drive?? Why not lift the front to improve the ride position? But, to each his own I guess...No flames, just figuring it out.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:34 PM
hey HiHo on my 04 i cant find the "blocks" your talking about. do you have a pic?

Old 05-13-2004, 02:14 AM
I also just picked up the 4X2 shackle to remove the stock 4X4 2" blocks, as I want to reverse level the F150. I might even take it down another 2" (H&R coilover?), as I want a more muscular look and will probably add 20 x 8.5" rims with 295's (same diameter as the stock 18" with 265's).
BUt I dont want the "lowered look"
I know people wonder why some one would to that to a 4x4 but I use it for 98% street and like to be able to load the bed with bikes and not kill my back. Thr 4X4 is for mud and snow not true 4X4ing for me (got to get to the trails to ride/race).
Just sold the F250 with 35's and lift, looked great but rode like a truck and was like taking my like in my hands every time I loaded the bikes by myself....especially the street bikes for track days.

Cheers,

William
Santa Cruz, Ca
04 F150 FX4

Old 05-13-2004, 09:18 AM
i guess the block is only on 4x4 models.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Is there any companies out there that make replacement coil overs to lower the front?? The DJM lower control arms is the only think I have found so far, but I'm sure I'm not looking hard enough. I am just unfamiliar with good coil over companies. What's the whole spring reversal thing all about for lowering the rear???

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Well, I didn't mean to cause a ruckus. I have a standard cab FX4 which is mainly used as a commuter and tow truck for a car trailer. We live in the foothills outside Denver. Occassionally, we get a little snow (six feet in one storm last year) and it is nice to be able to get out of the driveway without shoveling. My truck really is never used "off road", therefore ground clearance is not really a major consideration.

This vehicle used as a tow truck is impressive. I just got back from a race in Las Vegas where it was necessary to tow over the Rockies on I-70. Granted my trailer probably only weighs about 5500lbs and the car weighs around 2000lbs. But, the truck was able to handle the load without any major problems. I have installed a larger transmission cooler and twin electric fans to keep things cool and the temp guage never showed abnormal readings.

Incidently, I have also had my Lowered Flareside on the track and had a lot of comments on how well the truck handles. The three valve engine also gathered a lot of attention after a few laps-mainly because of all those exotic noises when operating at full throttle. I wish the speed limiter could be disabled, but, second thought without the proper high speed rated tires maybe this isn't such a bad feature. After all, we all know Ford has had enough legal problems with inadequate or defective tires.

So, I hope I have justified why I've chosen to lower my FX4 Flareside. It really is great to drive on the highway and on the track. Especially after the new flash the Ford dealer gave me yesterday. Can't wait to hook up the trailer and see how the new shift point program works with the trailer attached.

Quick Reply: DJM Lowering kits