2004 - 2008 F-150

100mph....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100mph....

quick question, i think its more than possible just not sure. if i recalled it is possible to disable the governer which doesnt allow the F150 truck to go past 100mphs.....if it is possible, how would someone go about disabling it?. will it void warrenty? is it illegal? and is it feesible by a noobie truck owner?...

~Q

Old 05-09-2004, 11:29 AM
From reading previous threads, it will take a PCM reflash. For the 2004 models, you have to send your PCM to Troyers to have it reflashed.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:20 PM
my brain just had a melt down....what is a PCM? and what is troyers? im a noobie still. and am just starting to learn some of these terms and methods.

does taking the PCM out prohibit me from driving my truck until i get it back?.

and what kind of pricing is involved?...

sorry if im asking alot of questions. just wanna know what i am getting myself into before going out and doing it.

~Q

p.s. thanks for the advice!

Old 05-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Qiterplop, forget about it. you don't need your truck to go over 100 mph anyway. the limiter kicks in anywhere from 100-110 mph. that's fast enough for a truck.

Troyer Performance is an online aftermarket retailer that also does tuning. They are an advertiser here on F-150 online.

www.troyerperformance.com

The PCM is just a computer in your truck that controls so many damn things we can't list them all. Currently to have it reflashed you have to send it out. They do it all overnight, so you get is back in 2 days. It costs around $400 and is not just for the speed limiter, but to tune it and imrpove shift points. Not worth it if you ask me. Later on their should be hand-held units that can interface with the truck, but currently that interface is being finished and is not available. But like I said before, you don't need to go over 100 mph in your truck so you may just want to forget about it and enjoy your truck as it is.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:56 PM
We have a governor on our trucks? That sucks! I guess I won't be able to outrun those Hazard County boys until I fix that!

Last edited by ExpressF150; 05-09-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:59 PM
See www.troyerperformance.com (chips and tuning) for more information. The reflash is $419.00 You get a whole lot more than just the removal of the limiter, better shifting and more performance. The PCM or computer chip is up on the firewall. Troyer will have a programable tuner somewhere in the second qtr. to continue customizing the tune. (More mods etc.) The chip must be reflashed to perform this. You will not be able to drive the truck while the PCM is out. Your truck will be down for 48 hrs. The chip is overnighted to Troyer. They flash it and send it back the same day.

Old 05-09-2004, 02:30 PM
The PCM actually gets sent directly to Superchips Custom Tuning (SCT) for the reflash. I've already had this done on my truck. If your interested in this mod, at this point you might be better off waiting for the CAN flasher to become available. That would offer more flexibility as far as switching between stock and performance tune...and you wouldn't have to worry about removing your PCM for shipment. That was the worst part of having the reflash done. I had to ship it a total of 3 times and I worried each time that something would happen to the PCM in transit.
There's another thread that started this weekend called "CAN Flasher" (I believe) where we're trying to follow up on the availability of the flasher from Superchips.

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have to do a reflash. If you have one of the programmers, like at the dealer, it is an option that can be turned off. I almost had them turn mine off, but didn't want to get the mechanic in any trouble.

Old 05-09-2004, 04:21 PM
coolies for the info!

will keep an eye on that can flasher thread. had seen it but didnt fully understand what it was for.

as far as not trying to exceed the 100mph limit, it kinda sucks having a truck that reads 120 on the speedometer and not being able to get up to it sorta like having that nice new TV and not being able to go past channel 10 when it says its able to go up to channel 15 !!....woot my anology rocks!

thx anyways! hehe

~Q