2004 - 2008 F-150

Is there a chip for better MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a chip for better MPG?

Please help, I have a 6" Fabtech lift, 315/70/17 BFG All Terrains, Aeroturbine exhaust and the Airaid kit. I'm only averaging about 10 MPG. Is there a performance chip that would help out with my gas mileage?

Check out my pictures:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3897

Old 05-07-2004, 12:50 PM
04fordman,

That same general question gets asked in the Computer Chips forum regularly. Basically, some people who do get a performance chip/tune on their trucks do see a little mileage improvement...but thats usually with the 93 Octane tune, so fuel costs more anyway. The 87 Octane performance tune might even help mileage on some trucks, but not enough to make mileage the main rationale for getting the chip/tune.

Electric fans and underdrive pulleys seem to be the best mod for increasing mileage...and freeing up horsepower. I talked to Troyer Performance about the e-fans last week. They still need to fit a set of e-fans on their truck to make sure that they are compatible for the 2004 F150. The underdrive pulleys are already available (the ones for prior model years also fit our trucks).

You might want to give Troyer Performance a call (540-862-9515), tell them what you have on your truck and see what they recommend.

Last edited by JohnAndDar; 05-07-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:39 PM
The taller tires are whats robbing you of gas mileage. Did you regear for the taller tires or leave it stock in the front and rear ends? If you didnt regear you should, it will give you back some mileage (not all) and will give you back the power lost. If you did regear theres not much more you can do for mileage short of putting shorter tires back on. And I know thats out of the question.

Old 05-07-2004, 05:30 PM
How is that Aero-Turbine doing for you. I have heard that they are suppose to give you 10%-15% better fuel economy...

Fact or Fiction?

Boy, I would love to put a lift in mine, once Ford gets this thing fixed, but I would hate to get 5-6 mpg.

Sharp looking truck!!!

Two Blabees for you, man.

Old 05-07-2004, 06:51 PM
It's a combination of the tire height and weight. you went from 63 pounds per corner to over 90. It takes alot more power to get that unsprung weight rolling and the airaid intake is not helping. More Air = More fuel. I'm getting about 12.5 in mine and my tire size is only .7" less than yours. try putting the stock intake back on and just running a panel filter. I'm running the airaid panel and mit tube and it still sounds good. No chip is going to give you better mileage. The electric fan setup will definitely help though. I'm getting one as soon as they are available.

Nice truck by the way

How tall is that garage opening???

Old 05-07-2004, 07:50 PM
04fordman
Great Looking truck! Love the lift look! can you give me some info about the lift kit, the good and bad, price.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Is there a chip for better MPG?