2004 - 2008 F-150

Going to the Dyno on Thursday

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Going to the Dyno on Thursday

I'm taking my Truck in for a dyno run on Thursday morn.

I have installed the Airaid intake and a 3" custom exhaust from the Y pipe back with an Aero Turbine Muffler.

I have read a few postings that the test needs to be performed in 2nd gear.. is this correct?

I have the LS 3.73 axle, will this make a difference in HP reading compared to a truck with say a 4.10 gearing?

Old 04-29-2004, 01:00 AM
Did you get any numbers yet?

Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 AM
They had to do mine in second gear because it will hit the speed limiter (100mph) in 3rd gear which will mess up the test/sample..

David

Old 04-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Re: Going to the Dyno on Thursday

Originally posted by rover73
I'm taking my Truck in for a dyno run on Thursday morn.

I have installed the Airaid intake and a 3" custom exhaust from the Y pipe back with an Aero Turbine Muffler.

I have read a few postings that the test needs to be performed in 2nd gear.. is this correct?

I have the LS 3.73 axle, will this make a difference in HP reading compared to a truck with say a 4.10 gearing?

OK RESULTS ARE IN!!!!

This test was performed on a Mustang Dyno in 2nd gear.
We did about 5 pulls.

Max HP 265.6 @ 4800 RPM
Max Torque 306.9 @2100 RPM

The stock programming of the computer with the mods on my truck are killing my HP.

The test showed the truck is running rich in the upper RPM'S. The computer is trying to over compansate for the mods made to the truck.

Around 3400 RPM the variable valve timing kicks in and a very sharp decrease in power is noticable on the graphs. The lowest point 40 HP @ 3700 RPM till about 4700 RPM then it's back up again to hit about 265 HP.

The rev limiter also prevented us from getting higher HP numbers.

The solution I see is if you do the Exhaust and/or Intake mods you almost have to chip it as well to get the most benifit of the true potential HP & Torque.

So now I'm looking into the super ship from Toyer or I will wait until Predator comes out with their own version.

But overall I'm happy to see gains of 18 more HP and 36 more pounds of Torque.

Old 04-29-2004, 03:39 PM
rover73,

Can you post the dyno graph or link us to it?

I don't dispute what you posted, but the HP # seems unexpectedly high, even with the Airaid intake and aftermarket muffler. I haven't heard of anyone getting that much HP out of the new engine.
The torque sounds about right, maybe even a little lower than I expected.
To use Mike Troyer's previously posted #s, on an eddy-current dyno...their truck at stock was 222 hp/287 ft-lbs. torque and then 247/350 with the 93 Octane custom tune. You seem to be getting a lot more HP, but not nearly the torque.

You said that you are seeing gains of 18 hp, and 36 more pounds of torque, so you must have had it dyno'd stcok at approx. 247 HP & 271 ft/lbs. Torque, correct?

Thanks for posting your results. I hope to get mine dyno'd next week.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:14 PM
rover73,

I forgot to add that if you are considering having the custom tune done, it might be helpful to talk to Mike Troyer about your dyno results, especially about it running rich. That might be something he can make specific adjustments for as part of a custom tune for you.

John

Old 04-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Here is a copy of the test results.

I really feel the custom modifications I did to the exhaust really helped bump the HP.

Trending Topics

Old 04-29-2004, 06:12 PM
I think it is important to identify the type of dynos used. Troyer used an eddy current, usually that style will be around 10-15% lower than a dyno jet. If his truck was done on a dyno jet it sounds normal to me.

Old 04-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by rover73
Here is a copy of the test results.
We might as well post it here and save everyone a step:

I don't claim to know that much about dyno results, but certainly am trying to learn and understand them better. What surprises me about rover73's graph is the steepness of the hp graph line. It looks like it is at 100 hp at approx. 4500 rpm, then climbs to 265 hp at 4800 rpm.
I expected to see a more steady rise in hp, like in Daneo2's dyno graph (Lariat 4x4 w/3.73 gear ratio):

But maybe the difference is just due to the particular way each dyno place runs the trucks on their dynos...?
rover73, were the other runs that you did consistent with the one in the graph shown?

Thanks a lot for posting this info.
I couldn't find any other member's dyno graphs, other than yours and Daneo2's. Hopefully, I'll be able to add another to the list next week.

John

Last edited by JohnAndDar; 04-29-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by jason
I think it is important to identify the type of dynos used. Troyer used an eddy current, usually that style will be around 10-15% lower than a dyno jet. If his truck was done on a dyno jet it sounds normal to me.
jason,

I am very much in agreement with you. I think that if you test the same truck on different dynos (even if they are the same type), even if you could replicate atmospheric conditions, you will likely get varying results. Throw different types of dynos into the mix, along with atmospheric variances, and then you really can a bunch of different results, even if the engines, gear ratios, etc. are the same.

I think that the knowledge of the dyno operator is a factor, too. I am sure that there are lots of inaccurate/incorrect ways to run a dyno. That is my personal concern. I want to find a dyno operator that seems to know what they are doing. I want to know before I have my dyno done what I should expect my dyno graph to look like so I can hopefully have some confidence that the test was relatively accurate. I want to get good baseline results, then be able to go back to the same dyno operator when/if I add performance mods to see whether there are any tangible gains (or losses) relative to my baseline test. This, to me, is the main reason for having the dyno(s) done. Secondarily, I may end up using the results for additional custom PCM tuning down the road.

Dynojet dynos seem to be the most available, probably because they are relatively cheaper to buy/lease. Mike Troyer recommends an eddy current dyno, but I haven't been able to locate one anywhere around here. I visited a shop this morning that has a dynojet and got a pretty good feel from talking to the owner (who has a heavily modded 95 Lightning ), so I plan on going back next Mon or Tues to have 3 pulls done. I'll post those results when I am done.

John

Old 04-29-2004, 07:49 PM
If you are just wanting baseline numbers any brand of dyno will do. The important thing to remember is always go back to that particular dyno to accurately reflect improvements of mods.

I cannot speak for Mike T but I am guessing he prefers Eddy Current type because he uses a dyno to tune on. An Eddy Current dyno can accurately load the engine to better reflect actual driving conditions. This ensure that when tuning the vehicle the a/f ratio from the dyno will be repeated when the vehicle is actually on the street loaded and pushing itself.

Back to the dyno graph, I cannot tell if the numbers were corrected. Depending on atmospheric conditions, the actual numbers could be higher than sae corrected numbers. In addition, by looking at the printout I do not think it is a dynojet. I think it is either a Mustang or Superflow. If it is either one of the latter mentioned, then I say those are excellent numbers.

Another thing I see on that graph is something in the programming of the computer really pullled out power in the middle(probably dumped fuel and pulled major timing). I am thinking that Ford may of programmed this into the ecm to control knock at WOT and near torque peak. I do think it is something that can definately be programmed out.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Just wondering, Did ford use knock sensors on the 04 5.4? if so that would help to explain the dyno graph above.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Jason,
Rover73 did mention in his post that the Dyno was a "Mustang" "tested in 2nd gear". Look at his dyno test posting above.

Old 04-30-2004, 12:14 AM
For the most part all the runs were consistent, and performed on a Mustang Dyno.

I did not want some smuck doing the test and flushing $80 down the toilet in bogus results. I really felt it was important to do my research before picking location/operator/dyno equipment before getting it done.

The dyno operator that performed the tests has been doing this for over 15 years and the shop "Razors Edge Motor Sports” specializes in Ford performance.

There was a lot more info on different graphs that the operator was showing me but unfortunately I do not have a copy of everything that was displayed on the computer screen.

It was amazing; he was extremely knowledgeable in interpreting exactly what was happening to the engine at any given point on the graphs. He was very confident that a reprogramming of the trucks computer would solve the massive drop in HP.

He recommended waiting for the Predator Programmer to come out.
It will allow the end user to make all the fine tuning adjustments while the truck is on the dyno, unlike a flash from Troyer with a "best guess" on how my truck should be reprogrammed.

I want to know that I have the best settings for my specific truck with my custom mods for max HP & Torque.

Just my thoughts, hope this helps everyone.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:04 AM
I was reading this article in Car and Driver the other day:

Car & Driver Article

It was very interesting, although it was mostly based around BMW tuning, the basics remain the same.

Engine these days are so complex with the sensors and computer management, that most dynos are not even in ballpark of getting real numbers from a modern engine. The engine management is too smart, and can tell the difference between doing 80 on the highway, and 0 on the dyno with a tiny fan in front of the hood. The shop that the article is based around, uses a huge $7000 fan that blows at 75mph at the car during a dyno run. They say that ideally, they would like to get a $250,000 windtunnel dyno that is climate controlled (which BMW uses).

Just food for thought, def an interesting article.

- Justin

Last edited by jmvdigital; 04-30-2004 at 08:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Going to the Dyno on Thursday