2004 - 2008 F-150

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check Engine Light

I know this has been a topic of many discussions. I installed an Airaid intake when I had about 3000 miles on the truck. Everything was fine till I had a little over 4000 miles. I disconnected the battery for about an hour and ran at idle for about 15 minutes. It seemed to have worked till yesterday. I repeated the battery disconnect this time for about 3 hours and the light went out again. This morning on the way to work it came on again. In there anything else that needs to be done when you are trying to reset and reprogram the PCM? Has anyone else had this problem and then finally had to take the intake off? Is it possible that oil from the filter is getting on the MAS and causing it to give a false reading. If so will using a electrical contact cleaner help? I really like the intake so if anyone can give me some help I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by Black Lariat SC; 04-28-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:54 PM
I had almost the same problem.... This is what I did.

1. Make sure you used the 2 tiny screws that came with the kit to install the mass air flow sensor. The factory ones are too long and can cause air leaks and a lean condition.

2. you realy have to make sure that the airaid is fully seated on the manifold.

3. Under the metal L shaped brakets the 2 front bolts that connect to the engines plasitic intake, I installed a larger washer almost a 1/4 inch thick on each side. This helps raise the airraid tube and place it on a slight downward angle to make sure it is tightly seated on the intake manifold and to keep it there.

Hope this helps so far over 5,000 miles and no more lights.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by rover73
I had almost the same problem.... This is what I did.

1. Make sure you used the 2 tiny screws that came with the kit to install the mass air flow sensor. The factory ones are too long and can cause air leaks and a lean condition.

2. you realy have to make sure that the airaid is fully seated on the manifold.

3. Under the metal L shaped brakets the 2 front bolts that connect to the engines plasitic intake, I installed a larger washer almost a 1/4 inch thick on each side. This helps raise the airraid tube and place it on a slight downward angle to make sure it is tightly seated on the intake manifold and to keep it there.

Hope this helps so far over 5,000 miles and no more lights.

Are you talking about the 4 bolts that bolt the main brackets to the engine??? Did you put thick washers under the two forward ones?

Old 04-28-2004, 07:21 PM
NO, he means under the forward bracket that mounts to the rear side of the intake tube. I did something similar - but more pronounced! I added rubber spacers under the Cold Air Dam, the "L" bracket and between the air intake tube and the bracket just forward of the "L" bracket installation. The shims force the intake tube down on the throttle throat. Prior to this, the tube mounted on the throttle throat in a "pitch forward" angle which I think allowed an air leak on the rear side of the throttle throat. Since then the system has behaved - light out!

Old 04-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Black Lariat SC
Are you talking about the 4 bolts that bolt the main brackets to the engine??? Did you put thick washers under the two forward ones?
Yes i put very thick washers under the 2 foward bolts. It really helps force down the Airaid tube and keep a tight seal.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:42 PM
That makes sense! I pulled it off today to see if maybe the seal was not right and then reinstalled. I pushed down on the back to make sure it was over the throat to get a good seal before tightening. I climbed in the engine compartment to get a good grip. It still has a slightly forward pitch to it so I think I am going to take your suggestions. I also cleaned the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner but I do not think that was a problem. I just did it for the heck of it. I let it run a idle for about 20 minutes then took it for a drive of about 50 miles. The light did not come back on but I think I will still do what you guys did with the washers.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Sounds like Airaid should take some notes and perhaps start providing the thicker washers required for a successful installation.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Sounds like a lot of problems for little or no gain. You run the risk of engine damage thru a lean burn condition. From what I have read the HP gain is nothing and you receive a little bit of engine/air throttle noise and a lot of trouble for your money. I think I'll save my money and my engine. Just wait a few more months or even a year till the aftermarket figures this out. I remember when I bought my 99 superduty it took me 2 years before I could find good aaftermarket performance items for the V10, i.e. Hypertech, Flowmaster, etc. I don't plan on selling this truck any time soon so I think time is on my side.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light