2004 - 2008 F-150

40-45 MPH shakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 40-45 MPH shakes!!

I purchased a 2004 F-150 on Valentines Day this year (2004) TrueBlue SuperCrew....only 3,000 miles
After a few weeks we started noticing a slight vibration in the steering wheel, gas pedal and floorboard around speeds of 40-45 MPH! Took it to one dealership, they balanced the tires(Did not fix) Took it to the original dealership, they balanced the tires (again), replaced the drive shaft, put new tires on it, and put a dampener kit on it. Still could not fix it. They admitted the vibration problem, and called in the engineers from Washington DC to look at it. I Brought my vehicle back in (a 3rd time!!) engineer hooked it up to a computer, supposedly, and detected a vibration at .03 hz. They claim that the "Ford satisfaction tolerance level" is .07. Therefore, it meets Fords expectations. Meanwhile, before the engineer checked it out, the Manager at the original dealership reassured me that they will either fix the problem, or repurchase the vehicle and I could get a new truck(same kind, even trade) with no problems. Now that the engineer has determined that there is no defect, the manager has washed his hands with me and the whole situation! They said that they have done everything that Ford has asked them to do with the problem, and still can't fix it. How can they admit a defect, and determine what an individual's tolerance level is?? and expect me to deal with it? I am gathering the necessary paperwork to send to the customer review board. Has anyone here experienced the same problem? went to the customer review panel? what were the results? I am SOOOO frustrated, I love the truck, but very much annoyed with the way everything has been handled. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to tell them to do to fix the problem. Sorry for the lengthy post....

Old 04-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Do you have the Goodyear tires or the BFG'S or Generals?

Old 04-09-2004, 10:41 PM
I have the same shake/ vibration you talk about. I have been waiting for almost 3 weeks for a steering gear box to come in at the dealership, they have the driveshaft & vibration damping kit. I also had the tire balanced first, didn't help. I feel doubtful that mine will be fixed after reading your post. I will definatly persue getting the dealer to buy the back if they don't fix it. I would not let them blow you off. All of the 2004 trucks do not have this problem. I will make a huge stink and send letters to Better Business Bureau, News Stations ( 7 on your side ), Dispute Board ect..... The sad thing is it doesn't seem like anyone is able to get this fixed.

Good luck, Please post updates on your situation.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:44 PM
I have the BFG's 18 " - FX4 Scab

Old 04-09-2004, 11:16 PM
I have the Continental Contitracs......whatever those are, they have promised me that its not the tires that is causing the problem. And yes I do plan on taking this matter all the way to the BBB, news channels, customer review panels, etc..... I will keep you posted, and will make sure that if anyone else has this problem I will give them the information needed to fix their problems. Thanks for the replies, this site rocks!!
can anyone tell me what a TSB is? I keep reading about it but don't know what it stands for. I printed out TSB 04-3-3 and will take it to the dealer on my next trip. I plan on taking it to another dealer this time, and see what remedies they use. I just want results!!

Old 04-09-2004, 11:20 PM
After reading my original post it sounds as though I bought a used vehicle with 3,000 miles. That's not the case, I bought it brand new (5 miles) it has 3,000 now, and started noticing it after the break in period was over!

Old 04-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Technical Service Bulletin...

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-2004, 08:50 AM
It is a Driveline Vibration not the tires and Ford will not do anything about it. I was told by a Ford Engineer that if I was not happy go to the DSB.

Last edited by Labrador; 04-12-2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:36 PM
vibration

After 3 dealers, 2 front rotors, 2 tire balancings, the solution was a new drive shaft.

They referred to TSB 040303

Quick Reply: 40-45 MPH shakes!!