2004 - 2008 F-150

New owner, Some quick questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner, Some quick questions.

First and formost this forum rock's. I sold my S2000 to buy my Supercrew Lariat 4x4 and have had it for ~48 hours but have quite a few questions.

I did some searchs but have not found what i want.

First and foremost, for some reason, I keep thinking that my seat heaters are kicking in without me telling them to. I have noticed this twice now and its my imagination or my butt is getting really hot from the leather.

I can't turn off the front window defrost button by selecting it twice, I can talk it out of defrost mode by selecting auto or manual but I can't get it to go back to what ever it was set at before.

Who at ford do I send a nasty note to about my laughable carpet mats. My 73 beetle had better ones from the factory.

Just how accurate is the gas guesser in the dash. I am averaging about 15.8 mpg total in the first ~168 miles. Right now it is estimating about 435 miles to the tank, is that the total tank or is that till I get to the reserve. I know that I have the 30 gallon tank, and figure I have about 4 gallons in reserve, so something I think is amiss. (15.8 * 30 = ~474)

This mileage seems pretty good for what I have seen posted on the site, I do get better then 19 on the freeway which is stellar in my book. We shall see what it can do when I am towing the trailer but I am definitly happy on the freeway with the mileage. Also percentage wise how much will it increase and over how many miles. I will be adding the K&N and exhaust as soon as I get a chance to up it a little more.

Sorry for the diluge of questions but my last ford was a 67 K code mustang so, this is a bit more complicated.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stormbringer,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new F150.

1) I don't recall anyone posting in the past about their heated seats spontaneously turning on, but anything is possible. If it still seems to be happening after a few days, have your dealer test them.

2) Defrost issue: I don't use the "Auto" feature at all in my Lariat, mainly because I prefer to control the fans and where air is blowing from. In cases where I need the windshield defroster on, I'll just hit that button and then set the fan and temp manually, then I'll just hit the button for either floor heat/defrost mix or floor heat only when the windshield is defrosted enough. The temp & fan controls on the steering wheel are great, once you get used to them. (Sorry if that didn't really address your specific issue.)

3) Carpet mats: This is a common complaint. My '97 F150s mats didn't hold up, so I wasn't expecting too much with the '04. Many members in this forum replace their factory floor mats with either Husky's, Nifty Catch-alls, or Nifty Catch-all Xtremes. I have the Xtremes , which did a pretty good job keeping winter "slop" off of the carpeting.

4) Mileage computer: I have found that the MPG reading from the info. center tends to read from .2 to .5 mpg better than actual. As far as the "Miles to Empty" gauge, that is supposed to mean "until empty" but it seems that they set it up so that it provides a conservative number (approx. 30 miles less than actual, but I'm not going to test it myself), likely so that people don't run their gas all the way out...or experience problems associated with running a tank too low. (I'm sure that there are liability concerns for Ford that contribute to making this a little conservative...just like the speedometers tend to read a couple % faster than actual.)

If you're already getting 19+ on the highway you're doing well...I can't tell you how much that may improve. There are so many factors that affect mileage, it's hard for someone to comment whether you should or will be getting better.

Enjoy your truck,

Quick Reply: New owner, Some quick questions.