2004 - 2008 F-150

I've Got a 2004 XLT SCREW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 08:09 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've Got a 2004 XLT SCREW!

I didn't say I bought one...

I had to run by Enterprise Car Rental this morning (as it's our company policy to rent vehicles for trips longer than 50 miles) and pick up a vehicle. Unfortunately for me, they only had about 18 vehicles on the lot... one of which was a 2004 SCREW with 41.2 miles on it. Practically BRAND NEW...

So, I'll have this truck for the next several days on a couple of jobsites that I have to tend to. I anticipate putting a few hundred miles on it (probably around 350-500 miles) so, I'll report back on my likes/dislikes and give some other general opinions. So far, I like the feel of the truck (but I've only put about 1.75 miles on it at this point)...

This is the first time I've really driven a 2004 for any span of length so, I'm anxious to give her a whirl... Unfortunately, this one isn't rigged out like I want my next truck but, it's a good starting point...

News at 11.

RP

Old 03-31-2004, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RockPick,

Excellent! Which interior trim?
I'm looking forward to your opinions of it.

Have fun!

John

Edit: I originally asked which model, then I re-read the thread title.

Last edited by JohnAndDar; 03-31-2004 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:32 AM
I know you're going to tell us, but I am anxious to hear more details about the truck.
4X4?
LS?
3.55 or 3.73?
Power Sliding Rear Glass?
4.6 or 5.4?

I too deal with Enterprise a lot, and I would guess that it's 4X2 w/o LS, 3.55, 4.6 with no rear slider, and probably cloth interior. Just a guess though.

Pretty cool that you get to "sample" one for that length of time. Can't wait for the report!

Old 03-31-2004, 01:29 PM
i can see the report now...

"these seats have no odor and the color is a little off. COme to think of it, this cloth is like sandpaper on my bottom"

Old 03-31-2004, 08:10 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by J-150
i can see the report now...

"these seats have no odor and the color is a little off. COme to think of it, this cloth is like sandpaper on my bottom"
LMAO!! How did you know what I was going to write?

More to come... I'll have it for at least one more day...

So far, my assessment would have it at an 8 out of 10... mainly for asthetic reasons though.

RP

Old 03-31-2004, 10:07 PM
I bought one!

XLT
4X4
Cloth Captains
3:73 LS

6CD
Moonroof
Skid Plates

1 Week Old, 1800 miles...

What else wouldja like to know?

Old 04-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
So far, my assessment would have it at an 8 out of 10... mainly for asthetic reasons though.

RP
And when they add the KR package next year that will be bumped to 9 out of 10 (because no car/truck is perfect even with nice leather) As a non-KR owner I can say this. That is damn nice leather and adds 1 point to the score of any truck!

Old 04-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Moderator &

Well, I turned her in... almost 800 miles later! Not bad for 2.5 days!!

I'll post my findings, thoughts, and opinions sometime this weekend. I'm just too damn tired right now...

RP

Old 04-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Moderator &

2004 Ford F-150 XLT Review
By: Rockpick

As many of you have already read, I recently rented a 2004 F-150 SuperCrew 4X2 XLT from Enterprise Car Rental. I rent vehicles from them on a regular basis with work as I simply don’t want to put a slew of miles on my personal truck as it’s not worth it to me.

The truck in question is a VERY standard XLT. Black/Grey two-tone exterior. Bench in the front and back with flip down console in the front. No extra options (mind you, it is a rental).

I logged about 750 miles in this truck over a period of THREE days. The odometer started at around 40 miles and was returned reading around 780.

My review is solely my opinion. In no way/shape/form am I representing the opinion of f150online.com, the owners, or members of the site…

Let’s talk about this truck shall we?

EXTERIOR:
SCORE: 7

PROS
- Very deep bed
- Door handles (I like being able to pull the handle and enter – I still wish they were painted though!!)
- One piece grille/hood combo
- Tailgate ease of use.

CONS
- Several aesthetic items here…Poor paint quality – extensive orange peel and uneven areas. Being a paint guru, this decreased the score dramatically.
- Plastic gas door?! I see these becoming a VERY common part to replace
- Billboard of a FORD emblem on the tailgate. I just don’t like it. Too large!
- I don’t like how the 3rd brake light looks.

INTERIOR:
SCORE: 9

PROS
- Solid, comfortable seats (although they weren’t covered in KR Castano Leather)
- Functional with the flip down console, change holder, dual cup holders in dash…
- The tray in the center of the dash. I LOVE this feature!!! Very simple but is incredibly useable.
- Unbelievably quiet inside!!! A HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!! This almost got the interior a 10 all by itself.
- Cold AC and VERY HOT heat.
- I know this is a stupid one but, the stalks on the column (controlling the wipers/turn signals) feel SO MUCH BETTER than the old body style! Very durable feeling unlike the ones in my truck. The interval wipers even worked right… they never have on my truck!
- The ‘Oh Shiznit’ handles built into the A-pillar looks VERY sleek.

CONS
- I just didn’t like the colors but, I know this isn’t really a complaint.. Other than that, I love it!
- The chrome air registers didn’t really look right in there IMO.
- The stock sound system is still LOUSEY but, at least an option exists to get some decent sound.
- Clumsy ***** that control HVAC. Did Ford pull these off of a Little Tikes truck at Wal-Mart?
- Floor mats are considerably thinner than my 01’s mats. Not as durable?
- Tiny rear headrests. They look terribly strange!

DRIVETRAIN/POWERPLANT:
SCORE: 9.5

PROS

- The 4.6L was resident under the hood. PLENTY of power for this truck in my opinion but lacked at points during highway conditions.
- Shifted VERY smooth

CONS
- Gearing on this truck was poor. It was a DOG off of the line compared to my 2001 SCREW. Again, this is something that can go away with the addition of optional gears and a 5.4L.
- Lacked power at highway speeds.

SUSPENSION:
SCORE: 10

PROS

- WOW! What an improvement over my 2001! This thing rides REALLY smooth!
- Very stable at higher speeds while turning sharply (hey, it’s a rental… I pushed it a little harder than I would have my own truck okay? LOL!)
- No vibration on acceleration as has been described by other owners… I was hoping to experience this so I would know what you all are talking about. No luck.
- I was able to compare this head to head (by driving on the same roads) with my 2001 and I can’t even begin to describe the difference between the 04 and mine. My 01 is a SHERMAN TANK compared to this Cadillac!

CONS
- None to mention. I love the new ride quality!

OTHER SYSTEMS:
SCORE: 9.5

PROS
- Very nice braking distance
- Steering VERY responsive and not spongy like my 01.

CONS
- I can’t think of any but, I scratched a half point to be conservative.

FINAL SCORE --- 9 out of 10

I enjoyed this rental more so than I have the majority of the rest (although, four-wheeling in the Land Rover was a helluvalotta fun.).

Ford figured out several things with this truck. The suspension, drive train, and interior sound dampening is DRAMATICALLY improved over the earlier version of this truck. The exterior flaws such as, orange peel and extensive plastic usage are items that, in my opinion, should be further investigated. Good painting practices should lessen and/or eliminate paint flaws and, for little to no extra money, solid metal parts could’ve been used in areas like for the gas tank.

Overall, this is a SUPERIOR truck to its older brother. Ford has a winner here and you will see one of these parked in my garage sometime in 2005….

Now, I welcome all of your comments, questions, and rebuttals. Remember, this is all my opinion. Who’s to say if it’s right or not? No flames.

--RP

Old 04-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Very good write up RP! Thanks. I was hoping you would like the new truck as much as I do.

Old 04-04-2004, 11:46 AM
When I decided it was time to get a new vehicle, the exhaustive process began... the 'all new' F-150 was on the list, as was a slew of Luxery SUVs. I began to eliminate SUVs one by one, as NONE could offer the room for a 6'10" 300lb+ beast like myself. So I headed to my local Ford dealer and took an XLT Scab for a spin. I was not impressed. The seatbelt-in-the-seat design was horrible, as the belt was below my shoulder and I had to wrap up and around... not comfy. Plus, the pickup I drove had some unidentifed rattles and felt 'cheap'. Bummer, F-150 off my list as well! What's left? Full size SUV? Nope, redesigned Expedition is worthless since they shrunk driver space by like 25% (IMHO). I had put my 99 expy up for sale in the hopes I'd figure something out... then the unthinkable happens - I'm sitting on the freeway waiting to get off my exit and BAM! some moron side swipes me. Rips up the side and tears my front wheel off. While it's in the shop, I get an '04 XLT Screw (bright red, flint interior, 4.6L). Based on my previous test drive, I was skeptical. My first 20 mile commute changed my mind. No rattles, no %(*@ seat belt in the seat (Screw's have it mounted to the pillar) and overall a great ride. I had that truck for two solid weeks and logged hundreds of miles. Every day I became more impressed with this machine. My only gripes are the sluggish 4.6 (good for a regular cab, not a biggie screw), the feather light HVAC ***** & high seat bottom.

Thanks to Enterprise and some moron, I am now a die-hard F-150 fanatic and cannot WAIT to sell off my Expy - I found 3 150's that meet my exact specs... please oh, oh please someone buy my Expy!!! http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...lor=&cardist=0

Old 04-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by bigsherm77
Very good write up RP! Thanks. I was hoping you would like the new truck as much as I do.
Thanks Sherm. I certainly enjoyed driving it last week. At the moment, I'm working on lining up another one that I can take on another trip starting tomorrow and ending Friday. I'll probably log another 700 miles or so... Too bad that there aren't any out there right now in 'rental vehicle' land.

RP

Old 04-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Moderator &

Ahh... my luck.

I managed to find a 2004 SCAB XLT at another Enterprise branch... I'll have it for the remainder of the week. I'll post my thoughts and opinions on it as well... because that's just the type of guy that I am... LOL!

First observation...

I hate the seatbelts on the seat. Very cumbersome for a big guy like me. (I agree dzervit! -- The SCREW is a much better design from this standpoint... although, I understand why they did it with the back doors and such...)

RP

Old 04-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by RockPick

I hate the seatbelts on the seat. Very cumbersome for a big guy like me.
RP

they wrinkle the flannel....

Old 04-05-2004, 08:03 PM
- Lacked power at highway speeds.

You should find one with a 5.4L next time when you rent (if possible). I love the highway acceleration. I find I can't keep the pedal down too long when I'm accelerating to pass someone or I'll end up at 90 very quickly. Feels very strong/pulls hard to me.

Quick Reply: I've Got a 2004 XLT SCREW!