2004 - 2008 F-150

Where is the safety catch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have the pin on my Scab either.

It doesn't have anything to do with the tailgate assist though, as I said before, my dad's 2002 King Ranch F-150 has this exact pin. My only thoughts are either an alignment pin, or some sort of failsafe in case the cables come loose.

Old 03-28-2004, 08:42 PM
My 01 Screw has the pin, and it isn't a tailgate assist, cause mine is "heavy" to close.

Old 03-28-2004, 08:43 PM
I have an '04 Screw built in mid February, and it does have this pin. I looked over and under, and I have no idea what it could be for other than to help to hold up the tailgate while removing or installing the side cables. From the responses to this thread, it seems that the pins are only on the Screws....seems odd to me...but then maybe it's me thats odd

Old 03-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Thanks for all of the replies...seems like we're all in the same boat on this issue.

1. I know it is not only on the SCREW's or SCAB's. I went to the dealer today and looked at 32 of them. It was about 1/3 without, and 2/3 with.

2. I also initially thougt it had something to do with the assist, but it doesn't. Mine is just as easy to close as the rest of them.

3. I know that the straps on the side keep it from hyperextending, just thought this may be a "just in case" pin.

4. My dealer has no idea what it is or isn't for. It also does not seem to be a Job 1 vs. Job 2, or Lariat vs. FX4 vs. XLT vs. XL issue. I looked at only two XL's though.

Maybe some of the Ford Builders will know and respond.

Thanks again.

Last edited by TUFF FORD; 03-29-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Pin

I was told today that the pin will be there if the truck came with the bed extender. It is a safety feature so that the tailgate cannot go down for some reason. Anyway, that is what I was told.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:11 PM
That makes sense...what if I bought the bed extender after purchasing the truck? Will the pin be included in the package? Probably a dumb question. It's really not that big of a deal.

I guess their thinking is that people with bed extenders will have a bigger load on the tailgate.

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Pin

Originally posted by screwbuilder
I was told today that the pin will be there if the truck came with the bed extender. It is a safety feature so that the tailgate cannot go down for some reason. Anyway, that is what I was told.
I certianly can't argue with the info, cuz I don't know the answer. But, I did not order the bed extender, and I have the pin. I wonder if this mystery will ever be solved????

Old 03-29-2004, 08:46 PM
I know yours was a special order Neil, but I wonder if the Ford dealer ordered the bed extender (not on the window sticker) and either (A) gave it as an "I'm sorry gift" to someone they have pissed off, or (B) they get some kind of a break on the cost of it if it is ordered on a truck as opposed to someone off of the street walking into the parts department and ordering it. Ahh, who the hell knows.

The bed extender concept seems to make sense.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by TUFF FORD
I know yours was a special order Neil, but I wonder if the Ford dealer ordered the bed extender (not on the window sticker) and either (A) gave it as an "I'm sorry gift" to someone they have pissed off, or (B) they get some kind of a break on the cost of it if it is ordered on a truck as opposed to someone off of the street walking into the parts department and ordering it. Ahh, who the hell knows.

The bed extender concept seems to make sense.

We can't give up the quest for the answer!!

Maybe it is just a little prop leg so that you can get your fingers out from under the tail gate when you set it on the ground?????

I've got a copy of the DORA, so I know the dealer didn't order the truck with the extender.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:54 AM
Extra support pin when using bed extender makes perfect sense. Around here you hardly ever see an empty bed, usually has an ATV or snowmobile or dirt bike in the bed. Because of the short bed on the Screws there is a much higher chance of having some considerable weight on the tailgate in the down position. Since the Screws are the only model that the extender is available in, I'm betting they just put that pin in every Screw whether it was ordered with the extender or not. That way if the extender wasn't ordered but is installed by the dealer they're still covered. Just a guess, but seems logical.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:04 PM
I am still at a loss. All of the answers make sense, but I don't think that is why Ford put them there.

I figured I'd bump this one to see if anyone has found out anything.

Old 06-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Pin

It is a safety catch for the tailgate. Like I said if you have a truck with a bed extender you should have it. There will be cases where you might have it even if you do not have a bed extender. Sometimes it will get put on by accident because all the tailgates are drilled and threaded for the pin and sometimes it just gets put on. When you do one after another sometimes it happens.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:42 PM
01 Super Crew with no bed extender and I have the pin I think it prevents the tailgate from hitting the bumper!

(Posting wjhile Drunk!)

Old 06-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Beardoge
01 Super Crew with no bed extender and I have the pin I think it prevents the tailgate from hitting the bumper
This is the best explanation yet!!!!

Old 06-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Isn't that what the straps on the side are for?

Quick Reply: Where is the safety catch?