2004 - 2008 F-150

Revtek,daystar, or autospring

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin at Auto Spring Corp.

As suggested in a post on this thread, I phoned Kevin this mornig at AutoSpringCorp.com and he faxed the instructions to me. Everything looks straight forward, 1 sheet is all there is to it. Kevin seems extremely knowledgable and eager to answer questions. I feel the customer service aspect is really good with these folks.

He told me the 2.5 inch kit will give the 4.6L owners the full 2.5 inches, while the 5.4L equipped trucks can expect a 2 to 2 1/8 inch lift using the 2.5" kit.

This looks like the way I'll be going, unless an unforeseen downside comes about with this kit.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:16 PM
dgdee, how do you like the BFG rugged trail ta's?

Old 03-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Bill

So far I have no complaints about the BFGoodrich tires. Ideally they are suppose to ride softer than the LT tires, less psi, lighter duty tire. I did notice the tread depth is deeper on the Goodyear LT tire. I think these should last me 40k-50k miles, mainly pavement, some off pavement during bow season. I had no reason to upgrade to the LT tire. I have found out with tires, you usually get what you pay for.

Old 03-28-2004, 02:27 AM
So, Daystar and autospring do the same thing, just different ways. Is one better for the suspension in the long run? Can probably do the autospring myself, daystar, I dont have the tools. Daystar will cost me a little more due to installation but I want to keep the long run in mind. Not too much off road, just during hunting season and little fun dirt runs here and there.

Old 03-28-2004, 06:17 PM
This may have already been discussed...so if has please forgive...but does a leveling kit void the warranty?

Old 04-01-2004, 09:56 PM
What about the Revtek kit? Does it work like the Autospring or Daystar kit? Are there any problems with the Autospring kit? Is Daystar better, just harder to install? I work as a mechanic so I have access to all the right tools, but I'm just curious which kit is better overall.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:10 PM
the Revtek and Cornfed using a 2" spacer in the spring pack would create a little stiffer ride(not necessarily a bad thing) but no more extension than stock, the Daystar splits the two, half above and half below but would still make the ride slightly stiffer and a little more extension than stock, and the Autospring is all above the strut assembly, not affecting the springload at all but allowing more overextension than the Daystar and would create a little more CV and balljoint angle under extreme articulation. StickerSteve has the Revtek and says the ride is great.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Cornfed and it does ride great

You know, it took me about a month to finally understand what dgdee was saying in this thread. A little slow over here I guess.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:41 PM
sorry Sticker, the Revtek and Cornfed are real similar, the Toyota forum swears by Cornfed, says their better and cheaper than Revtek.

Old 04-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Congrats on your new truck Bill! But the spring load will not change at all using the Daystar, Revtek or Cornfed. The ride will be exactly the same stiffness. I don't want anybody to be misled here thinking they will have a stiffer ride. The only change will be the shock travel.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:28 PM
whatever dgdee, thats not what the mechanical engineers know, it's a very simple concept, drop it.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Bill,

Call the manufacturers and ask them. Its not that hard to figure out. THE WEIGHT OF THE TRUCK IS THE ONLY ONLY THING COMPRESSING THE SPRING. PERIOD!

Old 04-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Are you two married? Cuz you sure bicker like you are.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Dgdee, I'm not misleading anybody, just stating fact. #1, this is the first year Ford is using coilover strut suspension. Jeep and Tacomas have been using these coilover struts for around ten years. Daystar and Revtek have been making and selling tens of thousands of these spacers to Tacoma and Jeep users for years. On these Tacoma and Jeep forums there are hundreds of
people posting their experience with these spacers and every single one of them will tell you it makes the ride a little stiffer. I know this first hand, I owned a 02 Tacoma Doublecab and I can tell you the ride was stiffer after installing the Revtek. You can choose to believe it or not.
#2 I spent quite a few years racing motocross and both the front and rear you could change out springs with different spring rates, change the rebound and compression valving or, on the front forks you could also install spring preload spacers which would make the initial stroke stiffer, prevent frontend dive when braking, and yes, raise the front of the bike. This is the identical thing people are doing with their F150's by installing coil spacers. On the rear of the bike you also could turn a preload nut with a spanner wrench which increases preload on the spring, to adjust the "sag", or the amount the back of the bike settles when you sit on it. Identical idea to all these aftermarket coilover struts that have adjustable lift(now available for 04 F150's) by turning a nut to increase the preload on the spring. Thats the last time I'm going explain it. You can choose to believe it or not, but it is fact.
you, however, have mislead people by saying you think they could take off the top nut of a strut assembly without first putting spring compressors on it because there's no preload on it. Luckily you havent tried it yourself as I see you're still alive and posting on here. No desire to bicker, just want to set the record straight.
Thanks Dgdee, it's nice to finally have the truck, I already have the upper and lower carriage works billet grilles on and the spacer
kit was supposed to be here Friday, better be here Monday. And no, Dgdee and I are both happily married to someone else.

Quick Reply: Revtek,daystar, or autospring