2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 Model Year Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '04 F150 problems

Hello-
To Lightning Kid-
Your shudder was solved with a replacement transmission- How did they arrive at the conclusion? My truck was built 7/22/03, and have the shudder from day one.It is very annoying to say the least . It isn't the rear clutches, because it has done it in a straight line from a start.Hot or cold, doesn't matter. All the time from a start, BUT won't do it in reverse! Doesn't hardly seem to do it when the 4 wheel drive is engaged. Also, no rear end clutch chatter around curves or cold as others have mentioned.
I need someone to refer to when I talk to my dealer once again if you could help I would be greatful.

Also- Has anyone had a lot of wind noise at highway speeds around the side glass areas on both sides. Sounds as if the side windows are leaking air, or air is entering somewhere in the back doors. The dealer re-adjusted the doors, and this hasn't helped at all. Anyone else had this trouble?

Thanks -Dave Christo

Old 02-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave, my truck was in for the whine that trublu described very accuratly and for the shudder. The techs thoght at first that there may be a drive line angle problem but were directed by the hotline to replace the transmission because of the whine first. After the replacement, the whine AND the shudder were gone so they never actually diagnosed the shudder to the transmission. I know from experience that it was most likely the trans, not a drive line angle issue. I suspected a problem with the clutches but will never know...

No whine from the trans or shudder after 1200 miles.

Hey Clem, there is a fix for your EATC, do a search on my user name, I posted the part number for it. Also, the latest PCM reflash will make throttle response MUCH better along with overall preformance!

Old 02-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Hey Clem, there is a fix for your EATC, do a search on my user name, I posted the part number for it. Also, the latest PCM reflash will make throttle response MUCH better along with overall preformance!
Thanks Lightning,

I do remember reading that post awhile back and had it in mind when I stopped by my service department a few days ago and mentioned both issues. The service advisor, while polite, was stumped and knew of no fixes for either. He was quick to mention that there were no reflashes available! I don't like hearing that (when I know it's not true) and makes me think that I won't see my truck for a while if I leave it with them. They don't seem very receptive to the idea that I may actually know of the fix. This appears to insult their intelligence. I'll arm myself with the part # on my next attempt.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Clem; 02-15-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by King Ranch love
Rock Pick , you won't be Happy with nothing less tha the New King Ranch...go for it late fall
That's the plan...

Old 02-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Moderator &

Thanks for the info guys...

Any word on when the 2005's will be available for order?

Old 02-16-2004, 09:44 AM
Mine is in the shop right now, the engine light came on and the truck would go into engine failsafe mode. I should know more about it today sometime and I will report back then. Oh, I just turned 3000 miles.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by NotBigEnuf
Mine is in the shop right now, the engine light came on and the truck would go into engine failsafe mode. I should know more about it today sometime and I will report back then. Oh, I just turned 3000 miles.
Let us know how it turns out NotBigEnuf.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:35 AM
I called the service dept. end of day 2-16-04, and the service tech told me that the ford engineer told him that they know of this problem with other trucks and they're working on it, but they don't have a fix right now. I should pick it up as is and drive it until they're able to fix it. At this point I called Ford customer relation center on the advise from the service tech, they were no help and said they would call me back on 2-18-04.Then I called the general manager from the dealer I purchased the truck from and he said to bring it there so his service dept could look at it, and he sent me home in an excursion. The service tech at the first place actually said to me that he would not be buying a new F-150 until they fix all the bugs. That is not the kind of thing a customer wants to here after spending nearly 40k. So far I am pleased with the way my dealer is handling this. Update 3 will come as soon as I know more.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:40 AM
I did a search for Lightningkid, but he's been busy.

Can someone tell me the part number for the latest reflash?

Thanks

Old 02-17-2004, 11:47 AM
I had a whine in my engine coming from the transmission. Dealer swapped out the tranny so I can't say what was wrong with it. I also found a patch of orange peel on my paint but it's below the door where the body rolls under the truck. Other than that, the truck is flawless.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Moderator &

Thanks for the input Tru... I'm pretty much positive, at this point, that the 2005 will be in my garage in short order... well, at least once they start accepting orders...

Anyone have any idea when they may be??

RP

Old 02-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Thanks for the input Tru... I'm pretty much positive, at this point, that the 2005 will be in my garage in short order... well, at least once they start accepting orders...

Anyone have any idea when they may be??

RP
RockPick,

This might give you some idea:
Ford's 2005 JOB1 Start build dates

John

Old 02-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by JohnAndDar
RockPick,

This might give you some idea:
Ford's 2005 JOB1 Start build dates

John
Thanks JandD...

I wonder when they'll accept orders so that I can begin negotiating my deal...

Old 02-17-2004, 12:21 PM
I just picked up my 4x4 STX Regular Cab on Sat. Good to read so many positive responses on this thread. The Truck is certainly a dream to drive, that is for dang sure. After the test drive, the dealers "Special Sale" pricing, and the fact they gave me $8k for my beat to heck Ranger Supercab 4x4 XL, there was no way I could not have bought.

Old 02-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Consistent Problem

My only consistent problem has been keeping the gas tank full 'cause I love driving this truck. Other than that ... no problemo.

Quick Reply: 2004 Model Year Problems