2004 - 2008 F-150

Truck Rolling Backwards When Pulling From A Stop On A Hill

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Rolling Backwards When Pulling From A Stop On A Hill

Obviously, this is only when I am driving UP the hill. I have the 3.55 limited slip 4X4. I have seen other threads talking about the rear end 'hopping', 'skidding', 'bumping', 'grinding', 'slipping', etc., but I don't have a problem with ANY of that. In fact, this is the only issue that I have with my truck...other than this, it is PERFECT!!

**ON AN MINOR UPHILL SLOPE...
It is almost as if I am driving a manual transmission and pushing in on the clutch and letting off of the brake, or leaving the truck in neutral. IT'S THAT BAD! I literally have to keep my foot on the brake and apply the gas a little, and then let off of the brake to keep from rolling backwards into someone.

**WHEN SITTING AT A STOP ON A FLAT SURFACE...
I can let my foot off of the gas and the truck does not move forward. RPM's stay around 750 at a stand still. My '99 (and previously my '97, '95, and '92) would idle at about 750 RPM's, and when I let my foot off of the brake, it would ride at around 3, 4 or 5 MPH, just like any other vehicle.

Is anyone else seeing this? I can only assume not many of you are since this has not been addressed before.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TUFF FORD; 04-06-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Have noticed the same thing on a flat road but haven't been on a steep enough hill to roll backwards.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Tuffford, I dont think you have a problem. With the new drive-by-wire and lack of engine braking, I believe its just something were not used to. Mine does this to but I havent given it a second thought. Ill bet if you check, you will notice when you take your foot off the throttle you dont start slowing down right away you actually coast down like a "manual". Could also have a different stall rpm in the torque converter. If you really think you have a problem take in into the dealership and have them look at it and let us know what they find. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:50 PM
It's got a higher stall speed torque converter in it. Keep your foot on the brake until it's time to go. Step on the gas and you're off. This is normal on a lot of vehicles.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Angry Roll on a hill

Hi-

My '04 F150 FX4 4X4 also can't stay even on a small incline. It rolls back without any effort! It is just one of a number of things I got for free with this new 'WonderTruck'. A short list of other issues so far:
1). Lots of wind or door noise right at your ear position. Had it back for door re-adjustments -sounds like the side window on the std. cab is leaking ?

2). Shudder from the start on tack-off, and it is NOT the clutches in the LS rear either. Did this from day one

3). Steering wheel shake-Have a new rack they are going to install this week-hopefully I can scratch it off the list

4). Engine has a lot of upper end valve train noise- sounds like solid lifters- pretty cheesy for a $35K truck if you ask me.

5). Throttle response leaves a lot to be desired for this engine- Truck seems to take off like an electric vehicle in an amusement park- a slug! Nissan and Dodge eat this thing alive!

6). Ford tells me everything is normal-What a nice way to start with a new truck; this type of message! -

Old 01-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. This is the only vehicle I have ever had that does this.

- grayflare -

I have noticed that this truck does not 'back down' as fast as my past ones did when you let off of the gas. It really coasts like it comes out of gear. I guess it has its pros and cons. Nothing to complain about here! Just something new I'll have to get used to. Aint technology grand??!!

Old 01-20-2004, 06:29 PM
- Dave -

In regards to your #5, I thought the truck left a lot to be desired when leaving from the line. In fact, when I test drove the '04, I told my salesman that and he looked at me like I was crazy. It didn't compare to my '99. I have heard from several people that once the engine breaks in, it will be better. I now have 1000 miles on the truck and it is a little better...still not what I was expecting, but hopefully it will all come in time.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:19 PM
tcf
TUFF FORD

Mine rolls too. I noticed it on a slight incline. The other thing that started a few days ago is when I ease on the gas pedal the truck makes a rattling noise (sounds like a fart) Lasts about a second or two then as I give it more gas the rattle disappears. Haven't had a chance to check under the hood yet. My suspicion is the air intake nossle into the fender well is the culprit. Might be loose.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:25 PM
- tcf-

Mine makes that exact noise! It almost sounds like a cell phone on vibrate left on a counter?! Mine only does it once a day, and it is after sitting all night. It doesn't matter if it is 15 degrees outside, or 70 degrees, if I let it warm up, or not. It never fails. Once I put it into gear and roll about 8', it gives a little "prrrrrr---t". I think it is funny. I mean to start a thread on it but didn't think anyone would believe me. It is exactly how you described it.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:56 PM
tuff ford

I can't remember exactly where I saw it but I wonder if that has anything to do with the thread that was talking about when they stopped at the stop light that his old ford if you took your foot off the brake it would start walking. And he was saying this one doesn't and in fact he had to give it some gas when he took off more so than the old one? just a little bit different set up?

this probably didn't help but I tried, you might look back in some of the threads?

good luck sheryl

Old 01-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Re: tuff ford

Originally posted by 4dsr4me
I can't remember exactly where I saw it but I wonder if that has anything to do with the thread that was talking about when they stopped at the stop light that his old ford if you took your foot off the brake it would start walking. And he was saying this one doesn't and in fact he had to give it some gas when he took off more so than the old one? just a little bit different set up?

this probably didn't help but I tried, you might look back in some of the threads?

good luck sheryl
That's it exactly! This one doesn't 'walk'. I don't have to give it more gas than I did in my '99.

You know how you drive in a parking lot (if you do it right), you don't touch any pedals, brakes, gas, nothing, and your truck will just ease around. My dang '04 won't go anywhere.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:47 AM
tcf
TUFF FORD

Mine makes that exact noise! It almost sounds like a cell phone on vibrate left on a counter?!
Mine makes that sound all the time now. It seems to be coming from under the driver side floor board. I crawled under my truck last night and couldn't see anthing loose. Now I'm wondering if it could be the catalytic converter which is located below the pedals.
I'm still going to check the air intake nossle into the fender well.
I'll let you know what I find.

Tom

Quick Reply: Truck Rolling Backwards When Pulling From A Stop On A Hill