2004 - 2008 F-150

Sliding rear window rattle?

Old 12-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Play Deep
Don't know if this could be it or not but last night I was playing with the folding back seat in my SCrew and found the lug wrench and jack under the rear passenger seat. Could it be what is making the sound? Might just need to be repacked.
Nope, it's definitely from the window area.

Old 12-13-2003, 01:19 PM
I'm now even more happy with my decision to order the one piece back window instead of the slider. I got tired of the rattle, wind noise and lack of security of these. You know the easiest point to break in is through the sliding back window? I also won't be tempted anymore to slide 2x4s through and set them on the dash.

Old 12-14-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by zzedrider
I'm now even more happy with my decision to order the one piece back window instead of the slider. I got tired of the rattle, wind noise and lack of security of these. You know the easiest point to break in is through the sliding back window? I also won't be tempted anymore to slide 2x4s through and set them on the dash.
Umm... to break into my back window you would have to completely shatter it, the sliding windows are no where near as insecure as they were before. If someone wants into my truck bad enough to break the back window -- they'll want into your truck bad enough to shatter your solid window too.

Old 12-23-2003, 10:21 AM
I really can't take this rear window squeak any more....but get this...when it rains the squeak goes away. Also last night I opend the rear slider and low and behold the squeak got 200% louder....my squeak is definitely coming from the bed area....either being caused by the bedliner or the bed itself.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Question TSB update?

Any updates on a TSB on the rear slider window rattle?

Mine rattles more often then not. Opening and closing it sometimes lessens the rattle but it can rattle all the way open or closed. If someone has the rattle and isn't convinced it's the window then do what I did: Open the window partway, jump in the back seat, and you can freely wiggle the window in all directions - you'll hear the noise. There's too much play. Doesn't even feel like there's a rubber seal. More like glass on metal.

Today is was 17 degrees out and the roads are covered with bumpy, packed snow and the rattle was the worst ever. Love my truck. I hope this can be fixed!

Old 01-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Well, I had mine in last week for the rattle plus a handful of other minor issues. They REPLACED the entire rear window assy. Didn't have one iota of effect on the rattle.

I think I'm gonna pull the rear seat out and see what that does. I'm thinking that it isn't the window at all, but something behind the seat. Of course, many of you guys seem convinced it is the window, so maybe I'm wasting my time. Sooner or later I'll have my gf drive the truck while I get back there and investigate.

The rattle is very annoying. On mine, it is pretty quiet when the truck is cold, but as the cab warms up the rattle gets worse.

Didja know, the rear window assy costs $700? that's what they showed on the invoice.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:52 PM
I have heard other people say that it may be something behind the rear seat. I would let the dealer bother with taking it out and investigating, its part of what you paid for when you bought the truck. I hope you are able to locate the rattle and please let us know.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:14 PM
In my Lariat, the rattle is in the headliner, on the drivers side, at the very rear.

I pressed on the headliner (it's a hard shell, covered in cushy fabric) in that back corner, pressed in the mounting stud (plastic cap) as hard as I could, and reseated the weatherstripping on the door edge.

Quiet for now.

At least that's what was makin' noise in my truck.

-Jim

Old 01-08-2004, 07:53 PM
My rear slider definately rattles too.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Knock on wood

No squeeks from mine yet. 2000 miles

Old 01-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Regarding letting the dealer do it. Well, the truck has now been in twice with this problem, a total of four days without the truck, and they still have not corrected it. They *did* replace the rear glass, but this is because they take a shotgun approach to repairs. There isn't any real diagnosis or troubleshooting going on, and my guess is there may be only one or two qualified troubleshooters in any given dealership, and in many there are none.

No, I will locate the rattle and fix it myself. They had their chance.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by JHCain
In my Lariat, the rattle is in the headliner, on the drivers side, at the very rear.

I pressed on the headliner (it's a hard shell, covered in cushy fabric) in that back corner, pressed in the mounting stud (plastic cap) as hard as I could, and reseated the weatherstripping on the door edge.

Quiet for now.

At least that's what was makin' noise in my truck.

-Jim
I thought my rear slider was rattling too (drove me nuts). I then thought it was behind the rear seat like bikelover is thinking and proceeded to remove it, but found this to be a huge task, so I quit. I finally had someone else drive while I sat in the back seat and indeed the rattle was comming from the headliner like you said. If I pushed up on it just to the right of center, the noise went away. Since I have a moonroof, I was able to stick a yard stick in from the front and probe around. I found what seems to be a part number sticker that was partially unstuck causing this sound. I guess it wasn't really a rattle at all. All I know is that it doesn't make the noise anymore. Sometimes these noises can be hard to isolate. They seem to come from some place other than they really are. My point is, check out a few other things before trying to remove that rear seat or the window.

Old 01-08-2004, 10:18 PM
At least I'm not alone....

Mine started to make a squeeking noise after about 300 miles. I haven't isolated it yet but you guys give some good areas to try.

Mine sounds like a squeek , not a rattle. It sounds like it's coming from directly behind the driver's seat up high at the very back of the crew cab. It really only does it over bumpy roads and sometimes it doesn't do it at all. Hopefully I'll narrow it down.

Old 01-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Over the last month or so I would hear a rattling on and off. I dont have the rear sliding window on my truck so I figured it was in the bed. We have been getting a lot of snow and then severe cold soon afterwards. The rattling for me was ice flakes and things of that nature. I simply took a shovel and broom and cleared out all of the snow. No more rattling from the back. Although I found one other rattle when driving the other day. The dash directly infront of the steering wheel was creaking away for some reason so I bashed it with my fist a few times and it seemed to go away

Also, when I got the truck the doors were not on properly, passenger side was rattling and could hear windnoise on drivers side. The dealership here is useless for fixing problems, no troubleshooters whatsoever.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:29 PM
I just got my new truck yesterday. FX-4 SCrew with power slider. I checked for a rear window rattle before signing. I did not hear anything when driving but....when I shut the rear doors I thought I heard something. Turned out there are some kind of flaps between the bed and the cab that seems to relieve air pressure when you shut the doors. I'm not sure if this could be your problem or not but it may be worth checking. I would not have noticed it but thanks to this board I was looking/listining for a rattle.

Good luck, Eric

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sliding rear window rattle?