2004 - 2008 F-150

Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Decision Time

Folks, I'm looking for a little advice. I am very close to buying my 1st truck, and have really taken to a 2004 F150 Lariat Scab. Someone was even generous enough to enroll me in their x-plan. I have already talked to my local Ford dealer who will give me what I want for a trade in; they were very reasonable.

This truck will be an everyday vehicle for me which means a 60 mile/day commute. The gas mileage does not thrill me, but being up off the road has great appeal. I drive a Taurus now, and cannot see around all the SUVs, vans, and trucks on the road.

I figure I will have to either get a bed liner or one of the spray on protection products and some kind of box cover, so I'm thinking I need to add another $1k - $1.5k to the cost of the truck.

Yesterday I stopped by a Chevy dealer and looked at an Avalanche. It has a lot of nice extras like an XM radio, rearview mirrors that fold in, nicer adjustable seats that the Lariat Captains seats, a bed cover, and a box cover.

The dealer will take $7500 off the sticker, so a fully loaded Z71 1500 is about $1k more than a fully loaded Lariat SCab. (~$34.5k vs $33.5K with all discounts)

The Avalanche interior has an awful lot of plastic, and just seems kinda different, whereas the Lariat is very classy.

I have absolutely no idea about how the Avalanche compares to the F150 from a mechanical / performance standpoint.

Trust me; I'm not trying to troll here, I am just looking for some advice, and some insight I do not posses, as I have never owned a truck before.

Thanks very much,

-dave

Old 11-27-2003, 01:15 PM
A think virtually everybody, even the Dodge and Nissan fanboys that lurk around here, would tell you to buy a Ford before you buy an Avalanche.

Old 11-27-2003, 01:31 PM
The biggest problem I've heard about the Avalanche's is that they sometimes have a leaking and rattling problem with that silly fold down back wall... Seems that water finds ways of getting in.
And sometimes the Dealer has a hard time tracking the leak down to fix it. which leads to a truck that smells bad because of mildew...

Now my personal oppinion is that they are the 3rd ugliest vehicle on the road (right behind the Pontiac Aztec and the Honda Element)... I don't understand Chevy's need to slap that plastic crap that looks like igloo coolers on the sides of them... now I think the Caddy one looks good...

I don't regret spending a little more on my fx4.. because I could of gotten a 03 z71 tahoe or a Silvarado SS for a little less $... Just my .02

Old 11-27-2003, 02:34 PM
dgoad, I bought a loaded 2004 Lariat SCab 4x4 and I have never looked back. it is wonderful. you will not regret it. i personally think that the avalanche is ugly as hell, a close second behind the titan.

I can't tell you that the 04 F-150 is better than the Avalanche becuase i don't know anything about the Avalanche. but I can tell you that I am in the same boat as you. this is my first truck and I drive 65 miles/day to work round trip. i love it. the interior is fantastic and makes me smile every time i get in. the audiophile system makes sitting in LA traffic a breeze. it is a wonderful truck for daily driving except for the gas mileage of course. you will not be disappointed with this truck. i had my bed sprayed and i plan on getting a retractable tonneau cover. altogether that will total about $1150, so you calculated correctly. from personal experience i say buy the F-150, but no doubt I am biased. you get a whole lot of quality truck for your money in the 04 F-150.

and this truck is a great off road machine. i took mine to the desert last weekend and screwed around on the dunes. very fun and it is all stock. check out my gallery if you want for truck pics.

Old 11-27-2003, 03:29 PM
dgoad...how important is engine technology to you? Ford's 5.4 overhead cam engine with variable camshaft timing is lightyears ahead of the competition's pushrod engines. How about the F150s monster frame, cast aluminum front suspension components, fly-by-wire throttle, quiet-steel construction, rack & pinion steering, outboard rear shocks, etc., etc., etc? Eventually, the competition will catch up, but for now...it's Ford and it's not pug ugly.

Old 11-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Another viewpoint: Three guys in my company have Avalanches, and they all are quite satisfied with them. Their favorite thing is the solid ride and roomy interior. (the truck is based on the Suburban platform, which is a classic winner) One guy is a sail-boater, and likes the ability to load his masts into the long compartment. The other two guys have teenage family members, and like the "sedan" room.
What's not to like: The panels that cover the rear end are heavy and difficult to take down and store, the "water removal system" can get clogged with dirt, which slows down the drain, and the visibility toward the rear is dangerously blocked. I considered getting one, but one of the guys told me I'd have a lot of trouble seeing the boat trailer when backing down the ramp; actually he said I'd never see it.
SO, while I think the drive train is fine, especially the "autotrac" in the 4x4 models, the high rear end and visibility issues must be considered in your usage plans. The Cadillac version has a rear obstruction sensing system and mirrors that tilt downward when the transmission is in reverse; these are standard, which indicates that the Caddy folks know the issues, and include work-arounds. The new Avalanches are getting rid of the plastic body panels, so the appearance is getting better. Lastly, all of the three guys who have them do admit they're not crazy about the styling; but they were able to negotiate great prices.

Old 11-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Now I must say for one, you are asking advise from people who are generally loyal to their Ford trucks, so info you recieve may be somewhat biased. But...there is a reason Ford trucks are the #1 selling vehicle of all time. They may not have all the gadgets the Chevy has, and may not have the Hemi the Dodge has, but these F-150s are pretty rock solid.

My .02 worth.

Trending Topics

Old 11-28-2003, 12:57 AM
eewww, so much plastic, doesnt deserve to be called a truck. they try to make something that is a truck/SUV and ruined both in the process. dont get me wrong, i like chevy (not near as much as ford, but i do like them), but the avalanche is the most pathetic thing ive ever seen.

my friends dad bought a new f150 and let me drive it around the block a few times, and i must say, damn. thats the most amazing vehicle ive ever drove. i felt bigger in the new f150 than my girlfriends dads 03 f-350 fx4 with a 6 inch lift.....thats gotta tell ya something about the new f150s, they are tough and solid as a rock.

Old 11-28-2003, 08:26 AM
The decision should be a no brainer in apperance. Also, you might want to check the press reviews of the F-150, one writer out of Detroit called it "The best pick-up truck ever". My experience tells me he is right on the money. This truck is the best I've ever had. As for the gas mileage, when you add 4x4, superCrew cab, what do you expect. How many people really need the 4 wheel drive? If you keep it light (mine is a reg. cab, 2x4, short bed) you'd be surprised how much better the gas mileage is.

Old 11-28-2003, 10:41 AM
tcf
As a first time truck buyer go with the Ford. You won't regret it.
I ordered a 04 FX4 Screw which should be at the dealership by X-Mas. This will be my second truck. I now have a 2000 F-150 XLT Scab 4X4 and I too drive over 50 miles a day, mostly city and the gas milage with the 5.4L is 12.5 mpg on average. Both my sons have 03's. One Scab Flairside and one Screw. Like father like sons, LOL. Other than normal wear and tear, no major problems with any of them.

Old 11-30-2003, 02:51 AM
I got turned off on GM's years ago.

The Avalanche, Aztek "design" just reinforces my feelings.

To me the Avalanche is the answer to a question that nobody asked.

Its ugly beyond imagination and the ONLY reason the two people I know that actually own one have given for buying it was "it was cheap".

Food for thought.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Thanks very much to you all for your advice.

I have decided to pick up a Lariat Scab.

Now my only choice is to decide between one with all the options I want in a color I do not like (bright red w/arizona beige accent and tan interior leather), and one that looks awesome (black w/arizona beige accent and tan interior leather) that has everything I want except a limited slip. Both are available at local dealers.

My brain is telling me one thing, my opinions are telling me another.

Heavy sigh...

Old 12-01-2003, 07:17 PM
Question Ihave TWO words for you...

RESALE VALUE???

Old 12-01-2003, 08:31 PM
YellowFX4SCrew,

I didn't think that limited slip would have that much impact on resale.

Really though, the only reason I would consider getting something without a limited slip, is because I'm getting a 4X4.

Couple of questions for you;

(1) Whose aftermarket leather seats did you get?

(2) How do you like your Rhino liner? I've been thinking about Linex

Thanks,

-dave

Old 12-01-2003, 08:47 PM
Aftermarket Leather???

I have not purchased "aftermarket leather" yet. I am going to purchase it through Classic Soft Trim. They are a national company and you can have all surfaces leather! price will be approx. $1000 but front, back, top, bottom and inside will be leather. Classic Soft Trim does not have the pattern yet for the SCrew with buckets seats. They do have 40/20/40 pattern.

They will be black leather with canary yellow on the inserts and yellow door trim. Then they will use canary yellow stitching and have the FX4 emblem embroidered into the seat backs.

I will post pics once complete. I will also have pics of Manik Grill guards this week. I just need to take pics of it.

The Rhino is what I chose because I was able to get Rhino for $385 after tax. Line-X wanted $430 something plus tax. I don't haul enough large stuff to justify the cost difference. I love the sprayon liner, though. Wouldn't have any other type.

Resale - Avalanches, I don't beleive, will hold the resale value as well as F150. #1 is the above mentioned reason for the midgate. The ability for leaks, wind, etc. was enough for me. I am thouroughly pleased with the "TRUCK" that I have purchased. I was GM all the way before this machine and I am a finance manager at a GM dealership.

Ford did well and they will keep my car business as long as they continue to build with this type of overall quality.

Last edited by YellowFX4SCrew; 12-01-2003 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Decision Time