2004 - 2008 F-150

Tail Gate Strength

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail Gate Strength

I am pondering about putting a tool box in the bed of my FX4. There is just no place to put anything nasty in the truck without having it roll around in the bed. My only problem is I carry an ATV in the back most of the time and when I close the gate, it fits perfect. My question is, does anyone know if I put the gate down and let the rear of the ATV rest on the gate, (because of the space taken by the tool box), will the tail gate be able to withstand the extra weight? I should probably get more specific and ask if the cables will withstand the weight. Thanks for the future input.

By the way, I was planning on a black diamond plated box thats hidden, or doesnt go over the bed rails. Anyone know where I could get one cheap? Suggestions?

Old 11-19-2003, 02:19 AM
We sat 3 full sized adults on the gate of my FX4 SCrew without a problem. That is an average of about 150lbs per/person.

So, 450lbs of "direct force" on the tailgate is not a problem.
I doubt that an ATV would cause a problem, especially bacause of the weight distribution..ie...not all the weight of the ATV will be resting on the gate at any 1 time.

My .02

Old 11-19-2003, 07:05 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldn't you have to drive the ATV over the tailgate to get into the bed anyway? What's the difference?

Tailgates have supported ATV weight for years.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by APT
<snip?Wouldn't you have to drive the ATV over the tailgate to get into the bed anyway? What's the difference?
<snip>

No, you can pop the tailgate off at any time with little effort, if need be.

But I still agree, I don't think the tailgate is an issue.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:35 AM
You tailgate should specify. My Ranger's said 350 pounds maximum resting on it. I believe the F-150's is 400.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:52 AM
I would bet that the outsides of the tailgate (where atv wheels will be) will hold alot more weight than the middle.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:00 AM
I think that torsion bar that makes it easy to lift makes us think the tailgate is dainty. It's probably just as tough as the other ones, but the perception is that it's weaker. I still haven't stepped on it. When I get in the bed I step on the bumper, go over the tailgate and then open it from the inside.

Trending Topics

Old 11-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks for your opinions, I was thinking about the constant pressure and any bouncing though. But you guys are right, that gate has to be tougher than it looks. Next thing I have to think about is a bed liner, Im scratching the hell out of my bed.

Old 11-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
To stop the bouncing and to dissipate the weight from the tailgate to the entire surface area:

Put a sheet of 5/8 plywood in the bed that extends over the tailgate.

Old 11-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Raoul
To stop the bouncing and to dissipate the weight from the tailgate to the entire surface area:

Put a sheet of 5/8 plywood in the bed that extends over the tailgate.
or replace the cables with the 1" aluminum folding arms that allow you to "lock" the gate down. $35-50.

Old 11-19-2003, 01:39 PM
Look at it this way... if you have a Supercrew with a bed extender I would assume that the tailgate was designed to carry somewhat of a decent load- actual numbers I don't know. An ATV, snowmobile, etc. should be considered acceptable or a norm.

What I would be more concerned with, is that if you don't have a bed extender- what is holding your ATV in place if you have to come to an emergency stop? The bed extender also gives back some of the structural rigidty to the box, once you lower the tailgate.

* An Ford Engineer once told me that they used to "test" the strength of the tailgate and bed by herding several pigs into the truck bed. Apparently the weight of the pig and their sharp hoofs were a good field test for bed strength. I've never been able to verify this so I don't now if he was yanking my chain, but I do know car manufactuers truely use pigs for crash test studies.

Old 11-19-2003, 01:46 PM
http://www.laguarddog.com/

Check out this link.

This answers the question about keeping the ATV in place from sudden stops and if the tailgate can take the weight. Hell, if a Chevy can handle it, I know Ford can.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:02 PM
Actually Chevy is under investigation for tailgate failures:

NHTSA Action Number : PE03049 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make : CHEVROLET Model: SILVERADO
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Year : 2002
Component : LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:TAILGATE:LATCH
Date Investigation Opened : October 23, 2003
Date Investigation Closed : Open

Old 11-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Is this like what you are looking for?

Because of the area where the fuel door is I couldn't get one that goes all the way to the sides of the bed. I got it at www.truckstuffusa.com It is the black challenger diamond plate tool box by deflectashield and has the gas struts to keep it open. It was around $450 i think and didn't come with the ford logo or flames, I put them on. It is also bolted to the bed through the bottom of the box because you obviously can't attach it like the over the rail types.

Old 11-20-2003, 12:10 AM
Thumbs up

Thats it! Exaclty what I was thinking about. Thanks for the pic and the site.

Quick Reply: Tail Gate Strength