2004 - 2008 F-150

Research: Opening your dash and understanding the AUX option.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to have you back to the forum, Red (missed you for a few days) keep me posted on the AUX switch!

wolf

Old 11-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by red04
Hmm... I thought this was for the AUX function (not MP3 recording)
Yeah, Posts this lengthy tend to go astray at times....

Somehow they always find their way back to the original topic...

Old 11-07-2003, 03:15 PM
mwildeusa

You are correct. It does say .cda

Old 12-02-2003, 08:11 AM
dang, i wish i had found this site earlier!!! I have been living over on the other FTE site (ford-trucks.com)

i JUST last night finally figured out how to pull my dash to complete an install of the ford DVD player that attaches to the overhead rail.

FYI, I lead the product development team for overhead products for the supplier who makes the overhead system, rail, and OEM DVD player in the 04F150. I just installed a DVD after the fact into my personal 04F150 as i could not get one factory installed yet when i ordered my vehicle.

some facts:

ford uses the CAN buss.

no one today has an adapter for the can buss

our DVD player is the only product that uses this buss (and the aux input) presently

someome is backwaard engineering it (soundgate maybe? I can't remember. available some time in 04 )

i was told by our electronics guru's that our DVD player can play MP3's, I will check to varify that that is not MP3's written in CD format, but true MP3

Ford is suppose to releas a "prewire kit" so that the factory DVD player can easily be added after the vehilce is built ( the whole premise for our overhead rail system)

our DVD has aux inputs (RCA audio an video)

I had to use an FM modulator because the prewire harness is not available yet.

Ford is resisting releasing this wire harness until 05 model year we are working hard to push them to get the wire kit in ASAP. they and we are losing sales on DVD's

we are working on additional modules in development for the rail, like SAT radio, music hard drive, navigation, digital camera interface, blue tooth enabled hands free phone, intercom. multichannel headsets (4 channels simulcast) etc.

wouldn't it be nice to "CLICK" a module onto the rail. plug it in. and your done!!!!!!!

feedback desired

thanks
Rambunctious

Last edited by rambunctious; 12-02-2003 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:17 AM
Sounds very interesting - looking forward to your products. Do you have a website?

Old 12-02-2003, 08:53 AM
our company is Johnson Controls
we are a fortune 500 company with 20Billion in sales

here is a link that has some info on our products
it is a corporate site
http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/asg-i...eadSystems.asp

also, i gave some input on the other FTE site regarding the overhead rail

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...hreadid=162036

Old 12-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Feedback

Ram- Since you are looking for feedback....

I would buy the module for my SkyFi today if it were available. It is EXACTLY what I hoped would come out for the rail system.

Bill

Old 12-02-2003, 04:40 PM
ford DVD player can play MP3's

I just confirmed with our electrical engineer responsible for the Ford DVD player that it can play ****.mp3's recorded onto cd's

he said "but mp3's recorded onto a DVD does not work". ( I don't know what that means or who would do that but I'm just the messenger)

realize that the integrated DVD player is a $1000+ option, but hey, what's $19 a month anyway

but hey, it plays dvd's , mp3's , and any other device using it's own aux input through the radio head or through wireless headphones.
It also allows rear seat to listen to the DVD, and front row to listen to the radio head independently if desired.

ok, done with the sales pitch. I'll stick to technical discussions from here on out.

Old 12-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Re: ford DVD player can play MP3's

Originally posted by rambunctious

It also allows rear seat to listen to the DVD, and front row to listen to the radio head independently if desired.
that is so sweet. i was wondering if that was possible since there are wireless headphones. if I had kids I would be all over this. instead, i get to spend that $1300 on other mods.

Old 12-02-2003, 06:21 PM
FYI ... I'd be in line for all of the rail modules mentioned.!!

Large screen (7" or larger) Navigation or PDA dock or iPod docking overhead rail module would be great as well.

Old 12-02-2003, 06:27 PM
The difference between getting .mp3 on CD VS.DVD is a matter of capacity.

With a CD you will have around 700 megabytes of storage or around 175 4 meg song files.

With a DVD filled with .mps you can get 4.7 Gigabytes of storage or 1175 4 meg song files.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:09 PM
How hard will it be to add teh railport to my STX Screw?

Is this a relatively simple screw in/plug in installation?

Will there be a hole in the headliner where the cab/map light was?

Old 12-03-2003, 11:55 AM
unojo

you cannot, unfortunately, buy just the rail

we supply the entire overhead system to ford with rail, modules, visors, maplamps already attached, as one part number. they "click" it into the vehicle
it is called jsut in time, just in sequence delivery. we load the delivery truck with red, blue, blue, red, grey, etc backwards knowing what ford will build ahead of time. then they come off the truck and conveyor to the line and meet up with the right truck (grey, red, blue, blue red, etc)

anyway, the other problem would be that your non rail headliner, i think, does not have the flat surface for the rail.

you could, if you wanted to spend the money, have the dealer order a service part overhead system with rail but I bet it would be quite expensive. you could then replace your overhead system with this rail included system.

or check the junk yards

Old 12-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Thumbs up

rambunctious

I would buy the Nav system from your company NOW even though I won't have my truck until May.

Please let us know as soon as it's available, and how-to/where-to info.

I see SO many posts here about Ford not including a Nav system as an option, I'm sure you'll get lots of sales if your company is the first out the door with this product!

PS If you have input, I hear the Nav systems that use DVD's are much easier to update than the ones that use CD's to update.

Can't wait to see all the rail goodies your company has lined up!

Old 12-03-2003, 09:28 PM
When will the products be available rambunctious?

Quick Reply: Research: Opening your dash and understanding the AUX option.