2004 - 2008 F-150

Just got my 2004 4X4 Supercrew Lariat!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my 2004 4X4 Supercrew Lariat!

It has been over 7 years since I purchased my last new truck - a 1997 S-cab Lariat 4X4. Boy is this 2004 truck nice & tight. About the same difference going from my 1992 to my 1997 F-150. Fully loaded except sunroof & console.

Now - If I could only find a buyer for my 1997 F-150 - 229,000 miles - it has been a GREAT truck.

Nothing like the new car smell in the garage.

SuperCrew 04

Old 10-27-2003, 07:21 PM
I knew my '97 was just getting broken in at 190,000. Funny how people think that's a lot of miles when you try to sell. It's still the best running/driving truck I've ever been in.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Fordcountry
It's still the best running/driving truck I've ever been in.
Have you test driven an 04 yet?

Old 10-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Fordcountry
I knew my '97 was just getting broken in at 190,000. Funny how people think that's a lot of miles when you try to sell. It's still the best running/driving truck I've ever been in.
The reason they think it is a lot of miles is because it creates some issues when trying to buy a warranty or get a loan on it.

It's really difficult to find anyone willing to sell you a warranty on anything with that kind of miles. The reason is simple, something major could go at any time.

It's even more difficult to get a bank to give a loan against it. Simply because if something major goes (say an engine) they could be faced with repairs greater than what they can sell the vehicle for. So if you default after a major fault, they're just flat screwed.

That's not to say there's anythign wrong with the vehicle. It's simply a matter of risk. The risk of something breaking is just too great for most banks or warranty people to take the chance on. Both of which are much more risk adverse than you are.

Old 10-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Buyer Found

Well, I started trying to sell the 97 three weeks ago at $9500. I got a couple of calls.

Then I dropped the price to $7500. I got alot of calls. no one
showed up to looked at it. My 2004 truck showed up and the dealer wanted to give me $4000 for the 97. I knew I could do better.

Last weekend, I parked it at Home Depot for one day and lowered the price to $6500.

There were three people at the same time wanting to buy my truck Monday morning. The first guy bought it. The second guy would have paid $7000 for it. I didn't care what the third guy had to say. We're all standing in the same vicinity in the parking lot. Boy I would have hated to be the first guy - the pressure must have been great.

A friend of mine said "there's an a$$ for every seat", I told him "yea, I lookin for that a$$"

I kept the truck in Excellent condition. Anything that was broke, I fixed. When the trans went out I put in a new one, not a rebuilt one, etc., etc., etc.

Trucks are a much better investment that a mini-van, Ford Taurus Wagon, and the such. People can make money with a truck. But believe me, trucks with 229,000 miles may perform well, but no where near a truck with 150 miles.

Happy Motorin' - SuperCrew 04

Old 10-28-2003, 05:30 PM
I should qualify my remark to say my '97 was the best running/driving truck until I drove the '04.

I can understand why people shy away from high mileage vehicles. I too take extraordinary care of my vehicles, and I know whoever buys my baby will have many more happy miles. I haven't even placed an ad for my truck because the only way I'll sell it is to have the interested party see it before they find out how many miles are on it. Every time I tell someone I ordered a new truck, they always respond, "isn't yours new?" I love to see their reaction when I say it's 7 years old with 190k miles. I'm asking $7900, which is $325 below Kelley. My dealer (happens to be my brother-in-law) said he will give me $6800, so I'm not too worried if I don't sell.

Does anyone know if you are still able to get the owner loyalty rebate if you sell prior to taking delivery?

Quick Reply: Just got my 2004 4X4 Supercrew Lariat!