2004 - 2008 F-150

bigger tires on 2004 F150??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dam those wheels look rediculous. I cant believe someone would actually choose to put those rims and tires on there rig.

Old 10-29-2003, 08:55 AM
Anyone going to the SEMA show? If so, can you report back on the California Super Truck (CST) '04 F-150 lift kit?

So far, I have read on their web site that their new F-150 package will offer:

BRAKE LINES - STEEL BRAIDED BRAKE LINES
CSS-C9-1 - 1 1/2" REAR LIFT SHACKLES
CSS-C8-1 - 2 1/2" REAR LIFT HANGERS
CSS-C7-2 - UPPER AND LOWER ARM KIT W/ UNIBALL
SHOCKS - FRONT AND REAR
CSC-C2-3 - PERFORMANCE LIFT COIL SPRINGS
FTS-7283-7 - 3.5" LIFT SPINDLES

From what member 04fx4yfz reported last week:

"they should have their lifts for the 04 f150 hopefully by january, no price yet. they have a kit that utilizes the stock coil and one that uses aftermarket coil over shocks. right now they have the lifts on 4 trucks and he said that they have 37" and 35" inch tires on them with no problem. the lift is 7" inches all suspension. this truck is supposed to be featured at the sema show and in the upcoming off road magazine."

Sounds like they are putting together one of the first serious suspension (as opposed to spring spacer) lift kits for the new truck. From what I read about the Off Road Unlimited's project truck, they are working with CST on their lift. ORU's web site showed two pics:

One with just the CST parts (left), and one with Bilsteins and Eibach coils added (right). The rear had Bilstein 9100 2 stage bypass shocks installed.

Last edited by FoMoCoFoMe; 10-29-2003 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:58 AM
The CST lift looks like just the ticket for stuffing something like this under an '04...

Toyo Open County M/T 38x15.50R18LT
[Overall diameter = 37.7 Overall width = 15.9]

Old 10-29-2003, 11:52 AM
you might need to trim the inside of the wheel well to fit that 38" tire in there. i will stick to the 35s i think. thanks for the info on CST. I had not heard about their 7" lift although I did see the ORU truck at the Off Road Expo. Damn, I wish I could go to SEMA...

Old 10-29-2003, 12:13 PM
more info on the CST kit. it will use a new leaf pack in the rear with no blocks. the kit that uses the stock coil overs will use a spacer up front. the kit that uses new coil overs in the front will not use a spacer, obviously. they are using FOX shocks. CST has their kit pretty much done and need to take it to production. should be available to us consumers in January.

also, RCD is putting together a kit for the 04. It will be a 6 inch lift using stock rear leafs with a metal block and new coil overs in the front. Both RCD and CST make good kits, so I will be interested to see how they come out. RCD is of the mind that if you use a new leaf pack you change the travel of the rear, so they prefer to use a block and keep the stock rear leafs. that does keep the price down I think, but I don't know if it is truly the best approach. RCD expects to have their stuff available in February or March. any opinions on this one?

CST will have at least 4 (maybe 5) 2004 F-150s with their kits on them at SEMA. RCD will also have at least one 2004 F-150 at SEMA with their lift on it. so whoever is lucky enough to be going to SEMA, we expect a full report and pics. keep the good news coming.

Last edited by BrewMaster; 10-29-2003 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the additional info BrewMaster!

My first inclination, would be to go with the CST lift kit, or an equal (or better) quality kit that takes a similar approach to lifting. IMHO, adding the leaf packs is a better approach in the rear, than is adding blocks. Not so sure RCD isn't 'blowing smoke' about the "change the travel of the rear" being an area of any real concern. Interesting to me, is that RCD points to "increased wheel travel" as a feature of their F-250 lift. I would specualte they are using blocks to add height on their lift, so they keep the kit cost down, so that they are able to offer a product at lower price point -- rather than because it is the better engineering solution.

Adding blocks will work fine, provided their design is of sufficient strength (i.e. won't crack) and is speced such that the driveline angles are reasonably close to the original OEM specs. From what I read about this company's products (I have no first hand experience to offer), they appear quite capable of addressing those concerns.

What the blocks alone don't address, is the added unsprung weight that usually accompanies a serious lift, in the form of much heavier tires, and often (but not always) heavier wheels. You are now moving this heavier mass (wheels & tires) up and down, against springs designed to resit the forces of a lighter mass. In other words, lifting is done to add bigger wheels and tires, which Ford did not design their suspension for. To me, it is better to get the ride height you are looking for without using spring spacers, blocks or body lifts.

To me, I think it makes more sense; if you are intersted in doing serious lift modiifcations; ones that are more than just leveling your truck; and things like ride quality and mods that actually enhance suspension performance are important to you -- as opposed to ones that are merely for looks -- then IMO, it is worth considering new coils upfront, adding the leaf packs and getting top quality, correctly valved shock absorbers, and paying attention to driveline angle changes and offsetting any diminished braking capability.

Last edited by FoMoCoFoMe; 10-30-2003 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:09 PM
I completely agree with you FoMoCoFoMe. I am going to do it right on my truck. If that means spending a little more money I think I will. There are several good truck shops in SoCal that I will consult about my truck. I am particularly interested in what Off Road Unlimited did to the rear of their 2004 F-150 (new leafs or blocks). I guess we'll find out soon enough. But I'd rather have to spend a little more money to get it done right than to constanly regret going the slightly cheaper route and having problems. We'll see. Of course I will keep people updated on what I do. For now it is just a big waiting game. I am such a child, so damn impatient...

Old 10-31-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by BrewMaster
<snip> I am going to do it right on my truck. If that means spending a little more money I think I will. <snip>
Very wise thinking BrewMaster. Reminds me of a famous quote I have come to appreciate as one of lifes great truisms:

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten."

Old 10-31-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by FoMoCoFoMe

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten."
here here! cheers.

Old 11-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Hot off the presses, courtesy of www.truckworld.com .

"BIGFOOT SSX at SEMA Show

BIGFOOT will have a bit bigger presence than usual at this year's SEMA Show, the first week of November in Las Vegas. BIGFOOT has had one or more of its monster trucks at SEMA every year since 1977. This year, in addition to the usual monster truck (this time around, the BIGFOOT 15 chassis with the new 2004 F-150 body), will be the debut of the new 2004 Ford F-150 BIGFOOT SSX street truck.

The BIGFOOT Street Series Xtreme (SSX) was launched earlier this year at the Ford Centennial Celebration in Dearborn, Michigan. It was there that BIGFOOT first ran the '04 F-150 body on a monster truck chassis (BIGFOOT 14), and unveiled its F-350 BIGFOOT SSX street truck. SEMA will see the debut of the F-150 BIGFOOT SSX.

The BIGFOOT SSX street trucks are a project involving BIGFOOT and Potosi (Missouri) Ford. The concept is similar to the famous Saleen Mustangs, in that a customer can order a BIGFOOT SSX from their local dealer. Potosi Ford will do the upfit, and then the unit will be shipped to the dealer for final delivery to the happy new owner. Various configurations of F-150s, F-350s and Rangers will be available. All will have a Superlift brand suspension lift, upgraded tire and wheel package, BIGFOOT graphics package, and other added features.

Superlift Suspension Systems, of West Monroe, Louisiana, put in literally hundreds of hours to create a new lift kit for Ford's new 2004 F-150 series. On the first-ever BIGFOOT SSX F-150 is Superlift's new 4.5" lift kit utilizing "FIT" technology. Ford's new design demands an exact fit, and Superlift "FIT" (Frame Integrated Technology) meets tight Ford manufacturing tolerance levels. The appearance of the BIGFOOT SSX F-150 also marks the debut on the new Superlift F-150 kit. It offers the following features:
· True 4.5" lift, easy installation.
· Retains factory Ford suspension geometry.
· Unbelievably strong subassembly: ¼" steel used throughout new subassembly.
· Massive CNC machined nodular iron replacement knuckles.
· Allows clearance for 35" tire & 17" wheel combos; can use factory 17" wheels.
· Retains long-travel factory coil over shock assembly.
· Will accept popular aftermarket upgrade Coil Over shock assemblies.
· Alignment cam-bolts included for perfect alignment settings.
· No drive shaft modifications required.
· Minor trimming required, but can be restored to factory height.
· New rear shocks.
· Additional spring pack and longer U-bolts standard.
· Full long-travel multi-leaf rear spring pack replacement optional.
· Stainless skid plate and tubular mount optional.

In addition, the new F-150 BIGFOOT SSX features graphics by Autotrim Express, a Stull billet grille and front bumper insert, an Xtang bed cover, an Autometer 5" tach, Kodiak power steps, 17" Weld "Sling Blade" aluminum wheels, Bushwacker fender flares, a TrafficPro CD/Radio/GPS Navigation System from harman/kardon, with h/k, Infinity and JBL mobile stereo components, a Signwavez LED message license plate frame, custom embroidered headrests, and an autographed dash plaque.

For more information, contact Chris Dicus or Ken Jaco at Potosi Ford, 573-438-2174, or email to potosiford@yahoo.com. "

Old 11-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Old 11-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Old 11-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not crazy about the "show truck" graphics, but that is sweet.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Thought a few here might not see the SEMA show thread and would miss the chance to see some of the ideas 25 customizers showcased with the new F-150s Ford sold to them for $1. Very cool ideas, and whether it is lowered 'sport trucks' or flotation tired lifted off road rigs; the one common theme seemed to be bigger tires!!

More info found here.

Old 11-03-2003, 09:09 PM
I like that red one. looks like they picked my truck to fix up. not bad. not bad at all.

Quick Reply: bigger tires on 2004 F150??