2004 - 2008 F-150

Finally saw one tonight...my impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 02:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally saw one tonight...my impressions

Finally one came to our local Ford dealer. A white XLT 4x4 with leather. I only got to look at it for a few minutes, it was midnight...didnt want to have any hassles with the police that regularly patrol the local dealers. And unfortunately it was parked up to the wall of the dealership.

It is definitely bigger and taller than I had expected. The box is nice and deep, and the front end is higher than what I have seen in pictures. There was an F-250 Super Duty 4x4 sitting next to it. The front ends were about even and the rear end of the 04 F-150 was a couple inches higher.

Tailgate operation was smooth and light...it will be a hit with the women and little guys. The ford emblem really didnt bother me on the tailgate at all. I wouldnt say I LIKED it but I think it looks much better in person than in pictures. If the tailgate is ever redesigned they need to put some more definition/shape into it. It is basically flat and straight. IMO there should have been a crease at the top and/or bottom. Something to break up that tall flat tailgate...this may be part of the reason that they made the emblem so big.

Some more nitpicks...gas filler looks out of place...too high and close to the wheelwell. Ford emblem in the grille is a bit large but not bad...I will definitely get used to it. The truck had 17 inch wheels and it looks undertired...there is alot of sheetmetal on the side of that truck, more than the previous model and on other trucks. This makes the wheels look proportionally small.

Now onto a more serious complaint...the front suspension. Ground clearance doesnt look to good...especially at the lower A-arm pivot points. It is easily a couple inches lower than the front end of my Chevy. I would hate to nail a rock or small stump with that. It doesnt look overly strong either...kind of a lightweight stamping IMO. (Hard to get a good look though...it was dark out and I only looked for a few seconds.)

All in all I liked what I saw...and I really hope they turn out to be as good as they are supposed to be.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found out that my dealer got 3 of them in. I called him and he gave me one to drive for 3 hours. I was very impressed. I really like the electronic accelerator. I was in a FX 4 with the column shifter. SuperCab. 18 inch wheels with 275's! I took it by my plant. Visteon Axle. I had alot of people really liking the new style. Even driving down the road I got a alot of thumbs up.

Quick Reply: Finally saw one tonight...my impressions