2004 - 2008 F-150

Another Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Tire Question

I noticed that BFGoodrich is making a 285/65/R18 ATKO Tire, equivalent to a 33". I was wondering if I talk to the dealer, would it be possible for them to take the stock tires off my 04 and replace them with BFGs, then ad the difference to the price. Has anyone ever done this?

Old 08-09-2003, 05:47 PM
It could be possible. But I think they would have to change the speedometer drive gear or something to make up for the larger diameter tire.

Old 08-09-2003, 07:06 PM
the dealer should be able to plug into the diagnostic port and recalibrate the ECU for the larger tire size....

Old 08-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Fordabbits

A co-worker just bought a F-250 and wanted to do the same thing. The dealer told him they couldn't do the switch for him so he called a local tire dealer and swung some kind of deal with them. I think they gave him a pro rated price on the stock tires & he paid the balance for the new ones plus valves, mounting ect.

Old 08-10-2003, 03:36 AM
Yeah, I was kinda afraid of that. That means I have to leave the dealer, go to a tire store - not to mention Ill have to plan and order the tires in advance so theyll be there - then go back to Ford for recalibration. Not only that, hopefully they have some qualified techs there to work on 04s and know what theyre doing. Oh well, maybee Ill just wait and think it out more, Ive still got a couple months till my truck gets here.

Old 08-10-2003, 11:08 AM
If your dealer is any good they CAN do it for you. It is not a problem for a dealer to get off their *** and assist the customer and help to make the customer a repeat one. It is also NO problem for the dealer to place the order on your tires either and insure they are there and ready on time.

My dad use to do it all the time. He never bought a truck and kept the stock tires, he also never had to take it anywhere because the dealer always took care of him.

Now, most dealers I know can mount and balance tires, but if yours can not it is NO problem for them to take the tires to the tire shop and have it done, like the dealer would do for my dad on many trucks he had bought over the years. They never charged him a dime for that service either, just the difference in price for the new tires, no mounting fees, and no balancing fees.

It use to be called customer service...

Old 08-10-2003, 11:16 AM
That reminds me of a time I had to have a windshield replaced in a truck under warranty. My dealer did not do glass work so they would call a local glass shop to come in and replace the windshield. That was no problem, however when I arrive the guy is there with his van and my new windshield, still no problem.

The problem is the guy thinks he is going to do it outside in the open, big problem. It was gray clouds and had been raining on and off all day, and was ready for another down pour. The guy tells me no need to worry because he is fast. I tell him he WILL take his time on my truck and I will be watching the entire time and it WILL be done inside in one of the bays.

He tells me no that the dealer don’t allow him to take up space in the shop. I tell him to follow me. I get in my truck pull up to the main bay door and honk. They open the door and there is another car behind me. The kid ask what do I want and I ask “what bay is open for me?” He tells me there is none because the car behind me is scheduled next for something. I tell him “mine is scheduled before his, so what bay?” kid acts like an *** so I just drive in and find the first empty bay.

Needless to say just as I got into the bay it was a HUGE downpour outside. Nobody said anything and my window got replaced, not quickly, but properly. I had to force the customer service option on my own that day…

Quick Reply: Another Tire Question