2004 - 2008 F-150

Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems?

"cliebold" reports on Ford-Truck Enthusists the following...

"Straight skinny here. The Norfolk Plant is on a hold due to a problem with a cracked bolt or something having to do with steering. All deliveries are on hold and those trucks on lots cannot be sold. In Virginia Beach the first delivery was done to a buyer 2 days ago, photos were in the newspaper, and the balance of the trucks that were delivered are on hold. The plant is storing thousands of the trucks in temp parking lots locally. I followed some being driven today from the Norfolk Plant to the staging storage area in Virginia Beach a few miles from the plant. This storage lot was set up in a large vacant area, the groung is covered with a rubber matting system I would guess to keep the tires clean. Convoys were being drove in a shuttles were taking the drivers back to the plant for more. I heard if the lot fills the plant will shut down. The new frames being sent to the plant have been modified to correct the potential problem."

Sure this is an "Urban Legend"

Old 08-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Somebody please say this is NOT true!!!

If it is true, I apoligize because it is my fault. I live by murphy's law, what can go wrong, will go wrong. Since I have ordered a new truck, I will take responsibility for situations such as this. Sorry.

Old 08-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL @ Sherm... I thought you were going to say that you had designed that particular portion of the 2004... LOL!

RP

Old 08-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Hopefully that isn't true, Ford needs to have them out soon and strart selling them so they can get out of their financial problems.

Old 08-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Does this mean the door crack issue has been resolved?

Old 08-02-2003, 01:34 PM
It's true

I won't get into specifics, but it's true. Remember, that is why quality control is so important and in this case it worked. Better to find any problems and fix them before they are released for sale.

Old 08-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Details - Elaboration - Fix - Exoertise ?

A cracked bolt sounds fixable with the problem being at one work station.

A craked (or crackable/flawed) frame sounds a whole a lot worse and will make me ask questions of the dealer.

Seeking advice from experts, education and general discussion.

Is this serious enough to make one consider cancelling an order?

Seems like Ford is going to have to address this directly, publically and in writing. (MOdified warranty?)

Need input!

Thanks in advance to those with experience and knowledge who can address these issues.

Trending Topics

Old 08-02-2003, 08:19 PM
This is definitely not good IF TRUE and publicity will be another problem

One of the new features being tauted for the 2004 is a much stronger stiffer frame

This only re-inforces the adage to wait on new models

Old 08-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Guess we will have to wait and see if Ford treats this like the 97 V6 gasket problems that stuck lots of owners with HUGE bills, or the STILL famous door crack issue that has been ignored as well.

Old 08-02-2003, 10:37 PM
screwbuilder,

Do you have a "ballpark" guess at how long it will take to fix this "problem"? Hopefully they'll be on the dealer's lot's and ready to go by mid-September. Here's hoping for the best!:o

Old 08-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Peacemaker:

They will be on dealer lots by Sept. 4th, thats what the new Ford commericals are stating. Since Ford is running the commericals that means they will have to have these truck taken care of and delivered to the dealer lots or they will REALLY look bad...

Old 08-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Peacemaker

It won't take long. We have only built less than 3000. They have been working on fixing the problem for a week now and they have some workers coming in on the weekends to help fix the problem. My understanding is that the problem is not with the frames, but with a bracket that is welded to the frames. We got these straight from the supplier so it is not a Ford problem per se. There was no way to detect the flaw except from testing. Let's just say that the system worked. The problem was found before they were released to the public.

Old 08-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the info 01 and screwbuilder. I thought they had already made a million of them or something. I'm not really in a hurry to get one as soon as they are released. I guess I'm in to big of a hurry to get an "up-close" look at one of these hot mama's. I'll problably buy mine in late 04 or early 05. Anyway, I'm glad the problem was caught ahead of time.

Old 08-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Peacemaker:

I am with you, if I buy one it won't be for a while, maybe an 05 or 06 give some more time needed for a proper shake down and see how Ford treats those that have problems.

If they treat them like those with the door crack issue or the 97 gasket problems, or other things then I most likely won't want to stick my neck out for that...

Old 08-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks Screwbuilder!

This is the kind of factual information which addresses a problem and a solution. These facts make me less worried but ...

FORD ought to be emailing everyone who asked for MORE INFORMATION on their web site. Customer satisfaction depends on informing customers as well as other things.

Obviously they really are not WEB savy yet.

Quick Reply: Problems?