2004 - 2008 F-150

EDR's in 04 150's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EDR's in 04 150's?

Anyone know if the '04's will be equipped with EDR's (Event Data Recorders)... or "black boxes"? I guess GM and certain Ford models have them, and it acts like a black box in an airplane... recording information about 20 seconds prior to an accident. Reports things like: airbag deployment time, speed, if the brakes were used, seatbelts worn, etc.
It's not really a big deal if they have them, I just want to know if it's in my vehicle.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:42 PM
yep

Old 07-31-2003, 10:37 PM
Where are they placed? What do they record? In all vehicles?

Old 08-09-2003, 12:12 PM
From the 2004 Owners Guide

Event Data Recording
Other modules in your vehicle — event data recorders — are capable of collecting and storing data during a crash or near crash event. The recorded information may assist in the investigation of such an event. The modules may record information about both the vehicle and the occupants, potentially including information such as:
• how various systems in your vehicle were operating;
• whether or not the driver and passenger seatbelts were buckled;
• how far (if at all) the driver was depressing the accelerator and/or the brake pedal;
• how fast the vehicle was traveling; and
• where the driver was positioning the steering wheel.
To access this information, special equipment must be directly connected to the recording modules. Ford Motor Company and Ford of Canada do not access event data recorder information without obtaining consent, unless pursuant to court order or where required by law enforcement, other government authorities or other third parties acting with lawful authority. Other parties may seek to access the information independently of Ford Motor Company and Ford of Canada.

Special instructions
For your added safety, your vehicle is fitted with sophisticated electronic controls.

Please read the section Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)
in the Seating and Safety Restraints chapter. Failure to follow
the specific warnings and instructions could result in personal injury.

2004 F150 (f12)
Owners Guide (post-2002-fmt)
USA English (fus)

Old 08-09-2003, 01:30 PM
This data is recorded in most new 2004 Fords. It can be obtiained using speical software and hardware that is commerically available. Accident Reconstructionists and Vehicle Engineers use it to obtain post crash data. It is worth noting here that the data is only permanently recorded in the event of a crash and it only records 5 seconds pre-crash. My company has one of these devices. It is supplied by Vetronix Corp. For those interested here is a link

http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/cdr/

Another thing to keep in mind is this. When you have an accident and report it to your insurance company, you give them the right to retrieve this data.

Old 08-09-2003, 01:38 PM
One more thing. Sorry. The installed location varies. However, these devices intended function within the vehicle is to control the vehicle airbags. Therefore, they cannot be safely disabled.

Old 08-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Q: What is a Deployment Event?
A: The second type of SDM recorded crash event is the Deployment Event. It also contains Pre-Crash and Crash data. The SDM can store up to two different Deployment Events, if they occur within five seconds of one another. The first deployment event will be stored in the deployment file (this would have been the event that deployed the air bag) and the second Deployment Event will be stored in the Near Deployment file. Deployment events can not be overwritten or cleared from the SDM. Once the SDM has deployed the air bag, the SDM must be replaced.
So now not only will you get hit with having to replace the air bag, but the SDM, too. But, if you think your INS is crying over it, you are wrong. They will more than make up for it by denying claims for people who werern't wearing their seat belt, or were speeding ect.
and for all you offroaders, or others who have had your airbags deploy in non accident/impact situations in the past, you will have to just suck it up and buy a new airbag plus SDM, because who wants to 1) tell their INS Co. what they were really doing, and 2) Be denied anyway, and 3) Have their rates go up either way.

and now what about leased vehicals? If you think they aren't going to check out the little box for any non deployment events, (it records and stores one non deployment event, for about 250 iginition cycles, or it will be overwritten if a more severe event occurs) you are nuts.

I've noticed every time somebody gets in our business "for our own good" somebody makes money and it isn't us.

Trending Topics

Old 08-10-2003, 12:04 AM
Replacing the SDM has been part of an airbag replacement from the beginning. It has to do with the forces the vehicle sees during a collision and the way the device works. Therefore, its been built in for years and the data recorder part is just along for the ride.

Old 08-10-2003, 12:12 AM
By the way. I have been consulting with insurance companies for the last eight years. I have rarely heard of an insurance company denying coverage because of data obtained from the devices in regards to speed. You have insurance to cover all of the stupid stuff you do anyway. I pulled the data out of a vehicle running 119 mph one time on a two lane country backroad. All the adjuster did was say that it was definitely their fault (the accident) and walk away.

If your someone who likes to run 119 mph on two lane country backroads beware. The insurance companies are the least of your worries. This data has been used to put people in JAIL for vehicluar manslaughter (19 years as a matter of fact).

Old 08-10-2003, 12:17 AM
Sorry, It would help if I would read the entire message and remember what I wanted to say. 250 ignition cycles take about 2 to 3 months. That really doesn't go back far enough to do a leasing agency any good.

What the point of these posts are is to say. These things have been in GM's for about 7 or 8 years now and the world has not been shaken because of it. In other words, don't sweat it.

Old 08-10-2003, 12:22 AM
My 01 has it and it’s no big deal. I do not understand what people are so worried about. It only records what “actually” happen. As was stated it will be able to tell if you used the brakes, had a seat belt on what speed you were doing etc. So what is so wrong with that? Nothing unless you plan on lying to the insurance company about it if they use the information.

The insurance companies SHOULD use the information to cancel all the policies of those that do NOT drive they way they should and cost all the rest of us a TON of money every year.

If your honest and follow the rules you have nothing to worry about. If you don’t then tough love I don’t feel bad for you and hope you get caught in lying and pay the price for it.

I think what would really be a neat device that should be mandatory is a breath analyzer where you have to breath into it first before you can start the vehicle. That would help stop other crimes…

Old 08-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Another thing to those worried about the EDR, if all vehicles don't already have them they soon will. Every single car/truck in America will have one so it would be best to learn to live with it...

Old 08-10-2003, 12:42 AM
That's it in a nutshell. All vehicles will have them installed by around 2008 per NHTSA. Most already do altough only the ones listed on the Vectronix site have released their data.

On another note, most tractor-trailers have had them installed for almost 10 years now. Those things record up to the previous one to two minutes.

Old 08-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Obviously you don't know me. I do drive carefully. I speed occasionally, but on the freeways only, never residential, or dirt roads. and other than being rear ended at a stop light or two, (while having been stopped for several seconds - wasn't a case of me hitting the brakes fast) I have never been in an accident.

I am pretty damn happy when some loser going 120 mph (or disobeying other traffic laws) and kills somebody gets convicted of manslaughter.
What I am talking about is this will be taken advantage of at a future date. Something intended for one purpose often does. Look at our SS numbers, which was only to keep track of our paying taxes and getting Social security when we get old. Now the insurance companies use it to get a copy of your credit record and factor it into your rates.
Mark my words, in a few years somebody will get in a wreck and be denied coverage because they weren't wearing a seat belt or broke some other minor law. Never mind that the wreck wasn't their fault.

Old 08-10-2003, 03:39 PM
Andthensometoo:

I hear what your saying and let me assure you someone will come out with something in the aftermarket that can render this chip that stores the data useless. Either by flipping a switch and frying it (no information to be found) or some other method…

If there is a way to retrieve the information then there is a way to overwrite it or make it useless. There is never an absolute in electronics and computer hardware and/or software, there is always a back door way to get to it and edit it.

For example the chip that stores the information is most likely powered by 5vdc or 12vdc. Hit that same chip with say 24vdc and presto no more chip, no more information, just a cheap useless part.

Quick Reply: EDR's in 04 150's?