2004 - 2008 F-150

Airbag Passanger Shutoff Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airbag Passanger Shutoff Switch

Does anybody know if the 04' FX4 has the ability to shutoff the passanger air bag option? If so, where is it located? I have two small children and need this option. I was able to see a FX4 earlier this week, but while looking inside through the window (it was locked), did not see the switch. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2003, 04:20 PM
don't quote me, but I think I read somewhere that it's automatic. If nobody's sitting in the seat, it shuts off. When someone sits down, it senses the weight (over a certain limit, so it stays off with light weight (child)) and turns it on again. I vaguely recall a manual on/off operation, too (I think).

Old 07-30-2003, 04:21 PM
After buying a 03 super crew I realized that it did not have the airbag shut off switch. The regular cab and extended came with it so I would suspect the same for 04.

Old 07-30-2003, 04:25 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure any two seat vehicle (no back seat) must have a shutoff switch and child seat brackets... so a regular cab will have it somewhere...

Old 07-30-2003, 04:49 PM
The Supercrew wouldn't need a cutoff switch since the best place for young kids is in the back seat. I don't think it is required in truck with regular cabs because I don't believe Chevy and Dodge have it. If they do it is because they followed Ford's lead.

Old 07-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Wingn8ive is actually correct. The passenger seat of all f150s now have a weight sensing sensor that automatically shuts off or turns on the passenger side airbag. Not sure at what weight it switches though.

Old 07-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by fordabbits
Wingn8ive is actually correct. The passenger seat of all f150s now have a weight sensing sensor that automatically shuts off or turns on the passenger side airbag. Not sure at what weight it switches though.
I don't like that idea at all. The sensor could crap out and you wouldn't know it. I think the key switch was the safest way, hopefully nothing bad happens where Ford ends up paying out a ton of cash...

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Exclamation Airbag Question

I agree with 01 XLT Sport! But in the same regard, the airbag shut off switch in the dash could crap out too! I have a nephew that loves to ride in the front seat because he knows I can turn the airbag off. Even though the light indicates it is off, I still worry.

Ox

Old 07-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Re: Airbag Question

Originally posted by OxfordF150
I agree with 01 XLT Sport! But in the same regard, the airbag shut off switch in the dash could crap out too! I have a nephew that loves to ride in the front seat because he knows I can turn the airbag off. Even though the light indicates it is off, I still worry.

Ox
That's a good point, but with working with sensors as I have in the past they make me worry more then something more heavy duty and not abused as the key switch. You figure the switched is getting sat on many of times so cycleing on and off, could get damaged, or what ever.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Just don't put kids in the front.
What's really sick, is all people you see riding on the passenger side with their feet propped up on the dash.
Imagine what would happen in a minor fender bender. Brings new meaning to the saying, "insert foot in mouth".

Old 01-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Home skillet
Just don't put kids in the front.
What's really sick, is all people you see riding on the passenger side with their feet propped up on the dash.
Imagine what would happen in a minor fender bender. Brings new meaning to the saying, "insert foot in mouth".
LOLLLL! I don't imagine they'd ride like that again.

SL

Old 01-18-2005, 11:09 PM
I dont like the "auto sensing" idea either. I notice my airbag light turn on sometimes when I just put some weight on my arm rest or just put my laptop on the passenger side. It does shut off once it a while, but sometimes it doesnt. I have yet to figure out how to shut it off when I want.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Should the light be on when the airbag is off? Like if there is no one in the front seat?

Old 01-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Truck of Doom
Should the light be on when the airbag is off? Like if there is no one in the front seat?
NO..with no body in the front seat I believe the airbag stays on and the light is not lit. When someone is in the seat, it then senses weight, then calculates the weight to see if it needs to leave the airbag on or turn it off. Sit in the seat, then lift yourself up off the seat just a little bit and you will see the light on the dash come on telling you the air bag is turned off.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:41 PM
i think the sensor is set somewhere around 62 lbs or so because when my kid sits up front the light comes on but if she moves around it goes off so i think shes on that borderline weight for the sensor she now sits in back.

Quick Reply: Airbag Passanger Shutoff Switch