2004 - 2008 F-150

Finance 101 - Young Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Finance 101 - Young Buyers

I've got over 25 years experience in direct, indirect, and high-risk auto lending experience (although I am no longer involved in auto finance). I've got a feeling there are a few folks who could benefit from my experience, as the rollout of the new F-150's nears. I am particularly sensitive to the young buyers who could make an emotional purchase decision and regret it later.

I have worked for one of the Big Three automakers and understand the process. If you have questions about the buying/finance process, I will help if I can. There will be those who disagree with my opinions - but thats all I offer, my opinion - do your homework, but most of all, trust your instincts!

Old 07-26-2003, 09:42 PM
So, your offering your help here on-line? If so that is excellent...

Old 07-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Yeah, Sport - If I can prevent just one 20 year old from filing bankruptcy 12 months from now ( because of a repo), my time is well spent...

Old 07-26-2003, 11:10 PM
Buzzzzter:

Well I would like to say a big THANK YOU for the offer and hope someone takes you up on it. I would suggest you also make a post about it down in the General Discussion Forum. It usally sees more traffic then this Thread...

Old 07-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Excellent. One man helping others.....

I like this forum

freddy

Old 07-27-2003, 01:46 PM
How can we get a hold of you if we did want some advice? I could probably use some, so you could get a hold of me at valdezford@hotmail.com Thanks for the offer

Old 07-31-2003, 08:21 PM
Offer withdrawn due to Lack Of Interest

Man. 583 views of this post. Not one taker. 583 people who know how to buy a truck at invoice, finance it at the dealer's buy rate, buy an extended purchase plan at cost, get ACV (y'all know what that is!) plus $1000 for your trade, and negotiate your credit tier. In all my time in the car bid'ness, I never met even one of y'all.

No problem, good luck!

...{big sigh of relief from Ford dealers...}

Trending Topics

Old 07-31-2003, 08:30 PM
Shoot, I'll ask questions.

How much under invoice do most dealers actually pay? What are these discounts? Could you explain what dealer holdback really is?

Is a verbal agreement legally binding at car dealerships?

Thanks
I'm sure I'll have more

Old 07-31-2003, 09:12 PM
You work for Ford, or a Ford dealer?, a dealer, my guess. Perhaps you could start your own thread and help more people than I was able to. My original post was directed toward young buyers, or others, who have no idea about the buying process, or how dealelers make money, or how much. I know what holdback is, how much it is, and when it is paid; as well as Ford volume incentives and bonuses. I know what rate spread is, average service contract profit is, what credit life and disability commisions are; I know PVR, average new and used gross, and what aftermarket really means. And I know pay plans as well.

I have no interest in getting into the dealers holdback or reasonable profits-I buy my trucks at invoice and everyone is happy.

Ford and Ford dealers are in business to make money, and are a huge part of our economy, and I support that. I just remember the high 5's I've seen when an ignorant buyer got his 'head ripped off' by a dealer's personell. ($4000 back-end?) I am more interested in a growing legion of satisfied Ford truck owners, because I believe Ford builds the best truck ever.

Ford Motor Company is dedicated to customer satisfaction like no other (CSI?) And, I believe the vast majority of dealer principals are, too.

As for verbal agreements?? You've got to be kidding. And your other questions? I could answer those, too.

This is my last post on this subject! Good luck with your new thread!

Old 07-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Re: Offer withdrawn due to Lack Of Interest

Originally posted by Buzzzzter
Man. 583 views of this post. Not one taker. 583 people who know how to buy a truck at invoice, finance it at the dealer's buy rate, buy an extended purchase plan at cost, get ACV (y'all know what that is!) plus $1000 for your trade, and negotiate your credit tier. In all my time in the car bid'ness, I never met even one of y'all.

No problem, good luck!

...{big sigh of relief from Ford dealers...}
With all due respect I think that response is a bit out of touch. You offered something really nice for others. However maybe what some are waiting on is for you to post some information, why not start out with some basic information that you feel may help many people.

I think some of the problem, especially those you are trying to target don’t have a good idea of what to even ask you in order for some sound advice. Rather then waiting for someone to ask you a question in which you can respond give us some basics to help us get started in the right direction to get the discussion started.

I’ll start by asking:

1. What do I do or can I do to help get the best price on a new truck?

2. Why is it if I go to one dealer and see a truck the sticker on the window has one price, yet I can go to another dealer look at a very similar truck and the price is $1,500 less? Both window stickers look like they are from Ford but the prices seem so different.

3. Why does one dealer offer so much more for my trade-in then does another dealer?

I think you can offer some real good advice I just think it may be better if you help lead the path, or at least get the discussion going so others like me can ask questions after thinking about something you posted about…

Old 07-31-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by deep6blue
Shoot, I'll ask questions.

How much under invoice do most dealers actually pay? What are these discounts? Could you explain what dealer holdback really is?

Is a verbal agreement legally binding at car dealerships?

Thanks
I'm sure I'll have more
I can’t speak as a lawyer, because I am not one and don’t know the laws in all the states. However I do know the laws in Calif and New Hampshire.

No, a verbal contract is not legally binding as far as a vehicle sales go. To top that off, at least in New Hampshire and Calif you can sign all the paper work and contracts and as long as you do not take delivery of the vehicle (drive it off the lot) you are not obligated to take passion of the car nor have any obligation to the contract in which you just signed.

Old 07-31-2003, 09:25 PM
I am a young buyer planning on getting an '04. I didn't respond to the post because I didn't want to be discouraged from getting this truck since I've been preparing to buy it for so long. Plus I got the feeling the guy would be one of those dude's who thinks he knows it all just because he has some knowledge in specific areas....(and be an A-hole about it). I think I was right.

Old 07-31-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Buzzzzter
You work for Ford, or a Ford dealer?, a dealer, my guess.
What does that have to do with offering financial advice?

Perhaps you could start your own thread and help more people than I was able to. My original post was directed toward young buyers, or others, who have no idea about the buying process, or how dealelers make money, or how much. I know what holdback is, how much it is, and when it is paid; as well as Ford volume incentives and bonuses. I know what rate spread is, average service contract profit is, what credit life and disability commisions are; I know PVR, average new and used gross, and what aftermarket really means. And I know pay plans as well.
Great, then enlighten us about it…

I have no interest in getting into the dealers holdback or reasonable profits-I buy my trucks at invoice and everyone is happy.
That would be one of the most important areas to get into. If your unwilling to get in to that information then it would seem to me your really not interested in educating someone on how to buy a vehicle for the best price. Yes dealer and Ford have to make money, but in order to know someone is getting a fair deal holdback and reasonable profits is a must know.

Ford and Ford dealers are in business to make money, and are a huge part of our economy, and I support that. I just remember the high 5's I've seen when an ignorant buyer got his 'head ripped off' by a dealer's personell. ($4000 back-end?) I am more interested in a growing legion of satisfied Ford truck owners, because I believe Ford builds the best truck ever.
In order to grow a legion of satisfied Ford truck owners you have to give the full education, including what is considered “reasonable” dealer/Ford profit which includes holdbacks.

Ford Motor Company is dedicated to customer satisfaction like no other (CSI?) And, I believe the vast majority of dealer principals are, too.
That would be untrue. Ford is concerned with profits first, customer satisfaction second. That has been proven time and time again…

This is my last post on this subject! Good luck with your new thread!
From that response I get the feeling you never intended to give out good information, or at least the full story. The person ask you a question but it seems as you went into a Ford commercial. As referenced above about Ford is concerned with customer satisfaction, and as I basically responded customer satisfaction comes after profits and making the stock owners happy first…

Old 07-31-2003, 09:47 PM
Right on, XLT!!

Old 07-31-2003, 09:49 PM
I tend to agree.

Holdback is important for buyers to understand.

I don't know much at all but I believe I know what holdback is.

Even when a dealer sells a vehicle at or below invoice don't feel sorry for them. They are still given a small amount of money from the manufacture. It's called hold back. The last time I bought a new truck for work which cost me $23,000.00 it had a $1250.00 holdback.

Obviously the more they make the better off they are, but when they sale at or below invoice they are still paying the light bill.

Remember that anyone who takes in trade ins and then turns around and sales them is making money.

Another thing to do is to take your time. Do not, I repeat Do Not buy on your first visit. The dealerships especially now are hurting like a duck out of water. Hell there playing you, so play them back. Even ones who give you the opinion of not being pushy and slimy are really just extremly good at their job. The bottom line is that a salesman of any kind (i should know i am one) has a job to do and that is to make the sale.

I hope this helps you out and purty I apologize, but I have been swamped at work and haven't had a chance to shoot any pics of that truck.

freddy

Quick Reply: Finance 101 - Young Buyers