1997 - 2003 F-150

Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission issue

My 02 Screw (I'm the only owner) 204K miles, is starting to have some trans issues : no issues when cold! When warmed up (after driving 10-15 minutes) it seems to "slip" a little when coming to a stop, or just starting to accelerate from a stop (especially when slowing down for a red light and it turns green, so your off the brake and back on the gas). Often I get a slight delay and then it "catches" into gear. Occasionally going around a corner (90 degree) at a good pace (not accelerating), when I start to accelerate the trans has a delay like it's slipped out of gear before it catches. Fluid is good, not burned and the correct level (changed the filter about 5-6k miles ago).
It's not right, for sure! Does it sound like the beginning of the end - or am I gonna get stranded sooner than later?

Old 08-17-2023, 05:48 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
It's the beginning of the end, try a bottle of this stuff:

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-22-2023, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, I did the Lucas treatment last year. It helped for several months (maybe through the winter) but then started again.
Any thoughts on a lower miles junkyard trans vs re-manufactured? I guess I should look at new from Ford !?!

Old 08-22-2023, 02:37 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Ford does not sell new transmissions. They are all remans.

If you get a boneyard transmission, get a NEW torque converter. Flush out the cooler and lines regardless of what you get. For a reman, I highly recommend Darrin:

http://www.bcatransmissions.com

Quick Reply: Transmission issue