1997 - 2003 F-150

Both rear calipers seized while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both rear calipers seized while driving FIXED

Hello,

Had a really weird problem happen yesterday. Noticed that I was having to really push the gas to get the truck to move. Came to a stop and saw both rear tires smoking. Pulled off to the side, jumped out and saw the brakes/rotors smoking pretty bad along with a burning smell. I replaced the rear pads about 6 months ago. Had the same smell happen a couple weeks after replacing the pads but then it went away. Anyone have a clue why the rear seized the way it did? My dad took off the E brake years ago due to it rusting. Any help is appreciated!

Edit: FIXED

Issue was the master cylinder going bad. Brake would slowly go to the floor and I believe that caused the rear brake lines to keep the pads engaged. Replaced the master cylinder and flushed all 4 lines and no more issues. Sorry for bumping this thread. Just wanted to help anyone that may have the same issue.

Last edited by nin478; 09-11-2023 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:46 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Rubber brake lines may have collapsed. Are you sure there aren't any shoes in the E-brake drums?

Please post more truck details.

You probably now need all new rear brake components.

Old 06-30-2023, 01:39 AM
J_P
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
saw both rear tires smoking
Probably need new tires too.

Old 06-30-2023, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Rubber brake lines may have collapsed. Are you sure there aren't any shoes in the E-brake drums?

Please post more truck details.

You probably now need all new rear brake components.
It's a Lariat 4x4 with the 5.4L Triton. Hadn't thought of the rear brake lines collapsing. Yeah I'm already pricing out new rotors, pads, and calipers. Guess I should look at lines too. I'm not 100% sure other than what my Dad told me. I'll look at some videos of the E brake installed in the truck but from what he told me he said he removed it.

Old 06-30-2023, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by J_P
Probably need new tires too.
Tires are fine. I misspoke. The smoking was coming from the calipers/rotors actually.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:52 PM
J_P
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What condition were the calipers in when you changed the pads ? Maybe bad pistons, maybe bad pins/grease, or like mentioned, the hoses. No way to tell without an inspection. Maybe post some pictures.

Quick Reply: Both rear calipers seized while driving