1997 - 2003 F-150

Help. My headlights and taillights won’t turn off

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help. My headlights and taillights won’t turn off

I have an 02 Supercrew Lariat, my headlights and taillights will not go off without disconnecting battery. I have tried everything I know and it is driving me crazy.

so far I’ve checked the switch, checked all the fuses and swapped all the relays around, but they will still not go off. No matter what position switch is on, and even with switch removed they stay on. I pulled the DRL fuse also and they still remain on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2022, 08:55 PM
J_P
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
So, the switch will turn on the lights but it won't turn them off ? Sounds like a stuck relay. Are you sure you checked the right relay ?

Old 01-28-2022, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by J_P
So, the switch will turn on the lights but it won't turn them off ? Sounds like a stuck relay. Are you sure you checked the right relay ?
As soon as I hook battery up they come on, what I did to check the relays I swapped all of them with like relays to see if they would turn off and see if problem moved to something else.

Thanks, Zack

Old 01-28-2022, 02:40 PM
J_P
Is this a new problem or has it been like this since you acquired the vehicle ? Has anybody made changes to the wiring ?

Old 01-28-2022, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by J_P
Is this a new problem or has it been like this since you acquired the vehicle ? Has anybody made changes to the wiring ?
I’ve had the truck 8 or 9 years, it started doing it about a year ago, I just have to keep battery unhooked when not running. It has sat quite a bit for the last year also. No mods have been done that have anything to do with wiring. I actually need to drive it back and forth to work for awhile so I am trying my best to figure it out.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:39 PM
J_P
Does this vehicle have an autolamp feature ?

Old 01-28-2022, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by J_P
Does this vehicle have an autolamp feature ?
Yes it does, and that reminds me. When the problem first started I could put them on auto and they would go off, but now they stay on no matter what position switch is in.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:52 PM
J_P
i suspect the sensor is likely faulty. Worth a check.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:01 PM
J_P,

Thank you for the help I greatly appreciate it, since you mentioned the auto lamp sensor, I started looking at some wiring diagrams and found that the auto lamp sensor along with a few relays were under a cover on passenger side dash, I had been doing all my troubleshooting on driver in cab fuse box and under hood. I unplugged the auto lamp sensor and the headlights went off. I am going to just leave sensor unplugged, I tried it and the switch works properly turning the headlights on and off. Thanks again, it was driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:07 PM
J_P
Glad you found it.

I found my turn signal relay stuffed up under the dash like that. I don't know why, but Ford likes to hide a few relays under the dash instead of keeping them together with the rest.

Quick Reply: Help. My headlights and taillights won’t turn off